The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Frame tollerances...to strighten or not to strighten... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255146)

Steve Plucker 11-22-2018 09:40 PM

Frame tollerances...to strighten or not to strighten...

I have just finished the disassembly of my wife's, yes my wife, July 1928 Open Cab Pickup chassis.

The frame looks very decent after 90 + years.

Some issues with the rear running board brackets and the front cross member but can be fixed.

So here are the major issues, if in fact they are major issues at all:

All measurements taken in a crossways measurement are all within 1/16th of an inch or each other.

However using a string to see if frame is "flat" yeild about 1/16 gap on the left side and not quite 1/8th of an inch gap on the right side.

Is this detrimental to the alignment of other body components or not exsevive enough to worry.

Thanks.

Pluck

Mike V. Florida 11-22-2018 10:21 PM

Re: Frame tollerances...to strighten or not to strighten...

It is apart so I would fix it.

J Franklin 11-22-2018 10:30 PM

Your frame is not out much, if it worries you bend it a bit, but I maybe wouldn't. It is apart now so it will be the easiest time if you decide to do it.

SeaSlugs 11-22-2018 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1698786)
It is apart so I would fix it.

agreed - much easier to fix now and just get it done with.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 11-23-2018 02:02 AM

Steve, in reality it will cause the hood clips to need to be extended 1/16" and 1/8" more respectively when latching the hood, --and cause a slight hood misalignment when closed. Both of the sagging deformations can be cured using a torch to shrink the bottom chord. From my experiences though, if the frame is off in the diagonal measurements, the rivets are loose allowing flex. This really should be repaired using a torch, a rivet gun, and a bucking bar.

ericr 11-23-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1698824)
Steve, in reality it will cause the hood clips to need to be extended 1/16" and 1/8" more respectively when latching the hood, --and cause a slight hood misalignment when closed. Both of the sagging deformations can be cured using a torch to shrink the bottom chord. From my experiences though, if the frame is off in the diagonal measurements, the rivets are loose allowing flex. This really should be repaired using a torch, a rivet gun, and a bucking bar.

thanks on that.....in over 5 decades of Model "A" ownership, I have found this to be one of the least-understood and poorly-appreciated aspects of restoration. Radiator/hood/cowl alignment tom e was consistently one of the most frustrating parts of restoration.

Oldbluoval 11-23-2018 08:35 AM

Always straighten and square
It will pay off down the road in fitting

Steve Plucker 11-23-2018 08:48 AM

Thanks guys...It will get fixed...better to pay now than later...I should of known better!

Pluck

kenparker 11-23-2018 09:16 AM

I am with blueoval on this one. Easy to fix now. Down the line when things dont line up right it will require lots of frustration and bad words in a foreign language

Synchro909 11-23-2018 04:38 PM

I agree with those who say that while it's apart is the best time to fix it. While your chassis isn't bad and would most likely be fine, now is the time. I'd even be tempted to slighly over straighten it. After straightening it, there will be stresses in it wanting to return it to its previous condition.
Now, to take this thread in another direction, I know the chassis on my Phaeton has sagged considerably. I'm considering tying the chassis down front and back, then jacking under the engine mounts without stripping it. Has anyone done that?

Tinbasher 11-24-2018 07:44 AM

Yes that works too. use a little heat along the bottom and a wet cloth and shrink it back into place. You'll be amazed at how much it will move.