The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What aftermarket turn signal do you recommend. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232195)

Displayman 10-29-2017 10:40 AM

What aftermarket turn signal do you recommend.

Hi,
We have a 1947 Canadian Mercury that we are restoring.
I am looking for an after market turning signal kit for the car.
I would appreciate and recommendations.
Thanks,
Bob- Hampshire, Illinois

51 MERC-CT 10-29-2017 11:17 AM

Re: What aftermarket turn signal do you recommend.

Not a recommendation but just an idea of what's available out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volt-Turn...JTLwde&vxp=mtr

TJ 10-29-2017 11:23 AM

There is a variety of switches. Get a switch that does not need you to mount extra lights. You want to use your existing brake lamps and park lamps , so you need a 7 wire switch. Most switches mount on the column, but I use a toggle switch that you can mount on a bracket under the dash. American Auto Wire has that switch and they can be bought directly from them or on e-Bay. It's up to you whether you want a column switch or not. Switches will work on 6 or 12 volts. The only difference is the what indicator light bulb is installed in it.

john in illinois 10-29-2017 12:15 PM

I use this kit from electro tec. I use a momentary toggle switch under the dash.

They are self cancelling and have hazzard warning. 6 or 12 volts and self contained.

http://www.turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm

John

JSeery 10-29-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john in illinois (Post 1545357)
I use this kit from electro tec. I use a momentary toggle switch under the dash. They are self cancelling and have hazzard warning. 6 or 12 volts and self contained. John

That is a neat looking setup. So, John, you have this unit installed in what application, the AV8 roadster?

Floyd 10-29-2017 12:47 PM

Signal stat 900 is not vintage looking ,but is the only one that works according to the wiring harness suppliers as of a couple of years ago. I go by what they say and I have them on my cars. 7 wire, 6 volt works great.
My opinion

mrtexas 10-29-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1545370)
That is a neat looking setup. So, John, you have this unit installed in what application, the AV8 roadster?

I have it installed on a 36 and 41. Works great. Love the self cancelling by time, timer pauses when brakes applied. Best one out there IMHO.

john in illinois 10-29-2017 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JS I do have it in my roadster. Momentary dpdt toggle swich with a long handle under dash. I like it and have used for a few months. I am going to add an indicator light as I have trouble hearing beep.
I put it on my circuit panel with velcro for easy removal. The wires go into the removable plug.

John

HDowse 10-29-2017 03:47 PM

I'm also using the Electro Tech unit successfully. I do have separate turn units mounted but the unit can power your OEM lights. Great company to work with if you need installation help beyond the complete directions he supplies.

JSeery 10-29-2017 04:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am using a similar setup now with a toggle switch under the dash in a 33 5w, but it uses a trailer connection box for the brains and is not near as versatile as this one! I think I will be installing one as well.

I am using some vintage lights on the dash for turn signal indicators.

john in illinois 10-29-2017 04:23 PM

Nice lights with jeweled lenses.

John

chap52 10-29-2017 04:27 PM

I used a Ron Francis push button unit that uses the existing parking and tail lights. I made a bracket out of a piece of aluminum angle and mounted it under the dash to the left of the steering column. They have a bunch of different set-ups to choose from. Worth checking out. www.ronfrancis.com

millersgarage 10-29-2017 07:21 PM

Wilk universal turn signal switch. https://www.amazon.com/Wilk-Universa.../dp/B01MTAEP7R

or one like it. It is available from many places, actually made for a truck. Heavy duty feeling unit, sound feeling operation, 4 way flasher too.

This kind is a piece of crap
https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacifi...+signal+switch

JSeery 10-29-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john in illinois (Post 1545473)
Nice lights with jeweled lenses.

John

There is a lot of this old stuff still out there if you look around.

19Fordy 10-29-2017 08:38 PM

I have this on the rear. Nothing on the front.
http://www.theegyptgarage.com/

Oakhurst 10-30-2017 09:31 AM

I used the conventional steering wheel mounted lever but installed it under the dash so just the chrome arm is visible. We reversed the wires to the lights so moving the lever to the right turns on the right blinker, and so on. Now it does not look like a modern accessory, just another under dash lever. Still need to remember to turn it off.

drolston 10-30-2017 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used the universal 7 wire type turn signal for the classic hot rod look (the Wilk unit mentioned by millersgarage). Easy to mount but a major pain to hook up all the wires. The instructions are clear. The unit itself is plastic and kind of cheap. It failed after a few months of use. The turn signals would only work if the brakes were on. Weird! Because the wiring was already set up for that unit, I decided to replace it rather than convert to a higher quality product. Speedway replaced it without a peep. The replacement has been working okay for two years now.

I put in a flasher from Mac's that makes a loud beep because the unit does not self cancel and I kept forgetting.

corvette8n 10-30-2017 02:00 PM

I installed a 3-24 volt piezo beeper from China, I think I paid $1.29 shipped I even covered the unit with a piece of tape cause it was too loud, it's still very annoying but I don't leave my directionals on any more. This is on an original 6 volt positive ground system.

TJ 10-30-2017 03:27 PM

The challenge is finding 6 volt indicator lights. In this neck of the woods indicator lights are hard to find and when you do find them the are 12 volt. Finally found some on e-Bay and they come from Shanghai. The price is right , but you wait a long time for them.

5851a 10-30-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakhurst (Post 1545681)
I used the conventional steering wheel mounted lever but installed it under the dash so just the chrome arm is visible. We reversed the wires to the lights so moving the lever to the right turns on the right blinker, and so on. Now it does not look like a modern accessory, just another under dash lever. Still need to remember to turn it off.

Had a 60 Chrysler and the lever was like that, mounted under the gear push buttons in the dash. Was easy to use. It did cancel with a small roller wheel switch that was triggered by a bump in the steering shaft.