The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Headlight bulb replacement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324293)

Erbleding 03-11-2023 03:40 PM

Headlight bulb replacement

So here is my first question as a new 36 Model 68 sedan convertible owner and it’s a dumb one.
I am trying to replace the headlight bulb and I can’t figure out how to get the old bulb out. I’ve never seen a setup like this. I’m afraid to twist or pry on anything too hard for fear of breaking the bulb or damaging something.
Can someone give me step by step instructions? Probably really easy

Thanks in advance

Kurt in NJ 03-11-2023 04:05 PM

Re: Headlight bulb replacement

it twists, the 3 little nubs have springs behind the reflector, it could be so used to being in the same position that it is stuck

Brian 03-11-2023 07:01 PM

Further to what kurt has posted, try spraying your favourite penetrating oil around the flange; it will certainly help. And, you twist to the left to remove....

DavidG 03-11-2023 07:29 PM

First push in and then twist. You can twist all day long and never the remove the bulb unless you first push the bulb in.

Zeke3 03-11-2023 08:41 PM

I suggest wearing leather work gloves to protect your hands when you are pushing and twisting on the bulb.

Erbleding 03-11-2023 09:22 PM

Thanks to all. Sounds like it’s no different from any other 60’s and earlier bulb. I just couldn’t get this one to push in. I’ll take the advice of wearing gloves and giver her an extra push and twist to the left

cas3 03-11-2023 10:05 PM

If you use penetrating oil I suggest you be very careful cleaning it up. The silver plate on the reflectors is very thin, you can wreck it easily. Soft cotton cloth, silver polish, google for instructions, really, its thin and if you have nice reflectors you are lucky!

Kurt in NJ 03-12-2023 07:14 AM

The “per-focus” bulbs with the 3 hole flange do not push in any, they just turn, but you might have to push on the spring loaded pins some from the backside.
While a slight amount of oil will help it has to be removed to prevent the heat of operation from vaporizing any of the oil and depositing a cloudy film on the lens and reflector.

Bob NH 03-12-2023 09:55 AM

I somehow think David G said it right, push gently in and turn left. WD 40 might help loosen without damage.

deuce lover 03-12-2023 11:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the head light socket and 2 pics of the bulb.No springs.Springs are in the socket itself around each connector terminal.

DavidG 03-12-2023 01:04 PM

Sheldon,

You're right; I must have been thinking of the '32-'34 versions.

terry 03-13-2023 09:29 AM

If you don't have a replacemrnt bulb already, i suggest the bright bulbs from

terry 03-13-2023 09:33 AM

If you don't have a replacement bulb yet, I suggest the bright bulbs from Ron Francis Wiring. It is a brighter bulb than the originals and they have them for 6 or 12 volts. They are much brighter. terry