The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Odd vibration noise (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246528)

cederholm 06-22-2018 07:56 AM

Odd vibration noise

Hi guys,

I know noises are impossible to diagnose on line but your thoughts are appreciated.

While driving around the rough streets of Brooklyn NY I have a metallic vibration noise that starts when I hit a bump and wont stop until I come to a stop. It sounds like its coming from the clutch area but it's very hard to tell. Revving the motor when stopped does not reproduce the sound, but after bouncing a little it appears.

The shocks are tubes and seem to work well - the car doesn't bounce around, and everything seems solid - nothing lose that I can find.

Any thoughts on where/what to check?

Thanks,
Carl

Ray64 06-22-2018 08:25 AM

Re: Odd vibration noise

Look at the tail pipe hanger or clamp

cederholm 06-22-2018 08:36 AM

Will do, but it seem very solid when I grabbed it and gave it a shake.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray64 (Post 1642871)
Look at the tail pipe hanger or clamp

Ernie Vitucci 06-22-2018 09:05 AM

Good Morning...You might want to check your motor mounts. Also, you might want to check your rear spring shackles. Ernie in Arizona

cederholm 06-22-2018 09:46 AM

Thanks Ernie - added to the list!

Tacoma Bob 06-22-2018 09:50 AM

LOL............No don't laugh out loud. Do check your radiator support rods though. I had one come loose and searched for a month before I found it. Sounded just like your experience and remember sound travels.

George Miller 06-22-2018 11:15 AM

maybe a broken bendix part from the starter in the flywheel housing.

cederholm 06-22-2018 11:39 AM

Bob, I'm not laughing at anything!

I rebuilt a 53 stovebolt for an old Chevy (bad, I know) dropped it in and it had a knock. Pulled it again, not a small job with a cast iron trans behind that heavy six. Tore it down, found no issues, but it back together and dropped it back in. Still had a knock - wanted to cry. Spoke to EVERYONE I could find, in person and online. Dropped the oil pan a few dozen times. Pulled the motor again thinking it was the flexplate, swore the whole time, put the motor back, still had a knock. Invented new swear words and years are now passing. Convinced the noise was at the rear of the motor I ignored the front.

...it was a lose harmonic dampener. The fan belt would more the dampener fore and aft causing it to thump against the crank and sending the sound reward.

All crazy thoughts welcome!!!!

Thanks,
Carl

ursus 06-22-2018 01:43 PM

I hope it isn't a loose flywheel! That problem will manifest itself on a bumpy road surface and may be difficult to detect when stationary. I found this problem only after pulling a knocking engine and finding the internals to be in proper order. If the flywheel breaks off while driving, the damage could be physical for driver and passenger.

cederholm 06-22-2018 02:36 PM

Is there an access panel to check the flywheel without pulling the motor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursus (Post 1642973)
I hope it isn't a loose flywheel! That problem will manifest itself on a bumpy road surface and may be difficult to detect when stationary. I found this problem only after pulling a knocking engine and finding the internals to be in proper order. If the flywheel breaks off while driving, the damage could be physical for driver and passenger.

Jacksonlll 06-22-2018 04:16 PM

Check the hod prop brackets.

cederholm 07-11-2018 07:20 PM

Okay, here's an update as I know you've been losing sleep. I found the issue and I'm updating the post as it might be helpful to someone.

The strange noise was absolutely coming from the front passenger's side, so of course the issue was in the rear diver's side. A broken anti-rattle spring on the e-brake.

I only did a short test drive with a band-aid repair job. but the sounds was gone so I'm fairly confident I've found the issue. Proper part on order.

Thanks all,
Carl

Gerald1961 07-20-2018 05:48 AM

I got such an annoying metallic rattle noise on our lady as well. No stethoscope, no endoscope, nothing helped, noise came from everywhere. After a wile i found it by chance: We have a 1930 body and the hood can be fixed open with this part:

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/hood-prop-kit

Over time, the ends lost their rubber covering. This made my rattle. Re-rubbering with a tube made our lady nicely quiet.