The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I need a car cover (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226626)

700rpm 08-12-2017 01:02 PM

I need a car cover

About 12 years ago I got a nice car cover for my peekup. It is light weight, kind of a silky material, and was made by a company called Pro-Tech. They seem to be out of business now, and I need a new cover because the squirrels nibbled holes in mine last winter and it's pretty ragged. Does anyone know of a good lightweight cover currently on the market that does nor need to do any more than keep the dust off? Doesn't need to be for outdoor use or weather resistant, just has to fit a Model A.

I got a cover for my coupe a couple years ago that was advertised as a good fit for a Model A, and it is way too bulky and oversized, so I don't want to go back to that company. I think that was California Car Covers. I need another source.

​​​​​​​Thanks.

Synchro909 08-12-2017 05:44 PM

Re: I need a car cover

Stay away from those cheap grey Chinese POS covers. They are made from paper, tear easily and let dust through.

art ebeling 08-12-2017 06:42 PM

Find a boat dealer and they may have someone local making their covers. They can make one out of whatever material you want using your old one as a pattern.

updraught 08-12-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1512456)
Stay away from those cheap grey Chinese POS covers. They are made from paper, tear easily and let dust through.

Do the squirrels eat it?

Chuck Sea/Tac 08-12-2017 07:38 PM

I don't know if it's cheep or what you would consider light weight, but I love my California cover. I've had it 15 years or so.

wrndln 08-12-2017 07:46 PM

What I do is use flannel queen or better yet, king sized bed sheet sets. Flannel will not scratch or damage the paint on your car. It takes one or two sheet sets to cover a car. I have done it for years. I suppose you could sow a couple together, but I just toss them over the cars individually. Of course this will only work for cars stored inside, which most people do. You can cut the corners (elastic) of the fitted sheet and they will work almost as well as the flat sheet. I just found two queen sets today at a garage sale for $.50 each today. The pillow cases can be used as rags.
Rusty Nelson

Chris Haynes 08-13-2017 12:04 AM

http://www.calcarcover.com/n_carcovermaterials/All

Dollar Bill 08-13-2017 12:15 AM

If storing indoors and only a dust cover, I find painters plastic works very well.

Easy on/off
Disposable
Cheap - $20 for a 400ft roll
Squirrels won't eat it

Bruce of MN 08-13-2017 05:28 AM

I have used old sheets, but had a lot of hassle with binder clips to drape them just right. While reading Rusty's post, I thought of using small neodymium magnets to hold each sheet where I wanted it. I'll try that.

jm29henry 08-13-2017 06:31 AM

California car cover has got my vote the won I have is breathable and dust free

Dollar Bill 08-13-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce of MN (Post 1512651)
I have used old sheets, but had a lot of hassle with binder clips to drape them just right. While reading Rusty's post, I thought of using small neodymium magnets to hold each sheet where I wanted it. I'll try that.

Bruce, I have seen strong magnets cause a depression in paint.

Wood clothes pins work well for me.

TRP 08-13-2017 12:39 PM

I ordered a cover from Macs. Not really impressed with the material. It is kind of a silver thick windbreaker. The fit of the cover is perfect. I think it was 200.00 delivered. In hindsight the extra money for the Californa car cover would have been worth it.

Ted

1928Mik 08-13-2017 03:05 PM

I'm buyin' an indoor California Car cover for mine. I have had good luck with them on other cars over the years. Sure, they are a bit higher in price, but they last and keep the car clean.

john in illinois 08-13-2017 06:00 PM

I bought a cover from Snyders that fit my Tudor perfect,but it is cloth and lets dust right through. I have the dust stop California cover on my roadster and it fits and no dust on paint.

John