The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Protection from fire in 36 ford (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30880)

Bruce/CT 03-08-2011 11:16 AM

Protection from fire in 36 ford

Hi Barners,
Some time back there was an article, I think in the Early Bird magazine, on how to protect your car from fire. They put a 30 amp Circuit Breaker between the Solenoid and a wire that is the source for ALL electrical power except for the Battery Cables. Is there any logical spot to put such a safety device on a 36 Ford? I am putting a Master Shut-off Switch between the Negative battery cable and the floor starter button.
Thanks for any ideas.
Bruce/Ct
[email protected]

bbrocksr 03-08-2011 12:48 PM

Re: Protection from fire in 36 ford

Put the master switch in the ground cable,When it is off nothing is hot. If you put it in the hot cable everything is hot up to the switch when it is off.
Bill

V12Bill 03-08-2011 04:19 PM

Disconnect the ground cable from the battery and save yourself a lot of work. I never leave my cars sit over nite without disconnecting the battery cable and I have all new wiring.

Paul Selfe 03-08-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrocksr (Post 172999)
Put the master switch in the ground cable,When it is off nothing is hot. If you put it in the hot cable everything is hot up to the switch when it is off.
Bill

What???????

Bruce/CT 03-08-2011 07:35 PM

Hi Paul,
Is the what directed at my initial question or one of the replies? I will clarify if you wish.
Bruce/CT

bbrocksr 03-08-2011 08:05 PM

Paul, If you disconnect the ground there is no circuit so nothing is hot, so if you put the disconnect switch in the ground cable when the switch is off nothing is hot.
If you put the switch in the hot cable going to the starter switch that cable is hot as well as the terminal on the back of the switch and the terminal on the battery.
Bill

paul2748 03-08-2011 09:58 PM

When I disconnect the battery, I always disconnect the ground cable. You do that and no electricity anywhere

51 MERC-CT 03-08-2011 10:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Protecting wires is all well and good but how do you protect against carb. fuel fires? This is what happened several years ago with the hood up.:eek:

Lawson Cox 03-09-2011 09:42 AM

You had to have a spark somewhere, so, check the wiring.

51 MERC-CT 03-09-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 173390)
You had to have a spark somewhere, so, check the wiring.

No, fuel leak and carb. backfire while running.:mad:
I have repaired all the damage, happy again.:):D

tintoptexan 03-09-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 173422)
No, fuel leak and carb. backfire while running.:mad:
I have repaired all the damage, happy again.:):D

Was it the accelerator pump leaking? I had a similar problem with a 390cfm Holley, but luckily had a fire extinguisher handy. Glad that you are all better now. Joe

Paul Selfe 03-09-2011 01:30 PM

I must be missing something here. If you're going to install a Master Disconnect Switch, why would you put it anywhere but directly off the battery. Regardless of which terminal you select, you are breaking the circuit to or from the power source. Paul Selfe.

Bruce/CT 03-09-2011 04:25 PM

Paul,
My reason is there is not enought space under the floor for an Optima 6 volt battery
Reasons:
1. My reason is there is not enought space under the floor for an Optima 6 volt battery. A post mounted switch would make it higher yet
2. Getting to the shut-off in an emergency under the floor mat and battery box cover would be very slow
Bruce/Ct

51 MERC-CT 03-09-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintoptexan (Post 173425)
Was it the accelerator pump leaking? I had a similar problem with a 390cfm Holley, but luckily had a fire extinguisher handy. Glad that you are all better now. Joe

Dumb mistake by the cars owner (me). After changing jets, the cross over fuel bowl tube was not properly seated in the rubber 'O' ring.:mad: