The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1930 Sport Coupe at auction (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234894)

bobusnick104 12-07-2017 12:57 PM

1930 Sport Coupe at auction

http://www.kikoauctions.com/?nav=auctions&details=8227.
A friend sent me this and said he would like to attend the auction to bid on his next hot rod project. That means I'll have to go to the auction to rescue this Model A. It looks solid and complete. What do you all think it' worth?

JDupuis 12-07-2017 01:12 PM

Re: 1930 Sport Coupe at auction

WOW, That's a solid car. Don't think it would take much to have it on the road again.
I don't want to put a price on it. (with the exchange on the Canadian dollar) It is hard for me to judge a proper value. I like that Suzuki Bergman.
Good Luck at the auction. Jeff

WHN 12-07-2017 01:14 PM

Wash it, get running, and than drive it?

Do you have anymore info on car. Looks too complete to hot rod. Enjoy.

abachman3 12-07-2017 01:34 PM

As it is a cabriolet, it has a small premium over some other models. I would still say, that in the condition I see and the unknowns, I would value it at $4-8,000.

Cape Codder 12-07-2017 01:36 PM

I thought it is a Sport Coupe. Am I wrong?

abachman3 12-07-2017 01:36 PM

Ah yes, it is a Sport Coupe, not a Cabriolet... my bad...

bobusnick104 12-07-2017 02:43 PM

I don't need another car, but people rescue dogs no matter how many they have, right? It does look solid enough with a little cleaning it could be on the road.

john charlton 12-07-2017 02:58 PM

Rescue that dog !!! You know it makes sense !!!

John in weather was cancelled today in Suffolk County England .

Synchro909 12-07-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobusnick104 (Post 1562442)
I don't need another car, but people rescue dogs no matter how many they have, right? It does look solid enough with a little cleaning it could be on the road.

Rescue it, clean it up and get it on the road and if you don't want another car, sell it on and maybe make a few $ and save it from a fate worse than death at the same time. That said, I admire some of the work done by some rodders.
I'd love to find a car like that but they don't exist over here.

Chevmn56 12-11-2017 10:22 AM

Talked to the Auctioneer he will do a absentee bid for me so ill throw my hat in the ring on this just not sure on the amount??

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-11-2017 10:35 AM

For MANY years, I didn't know CABRIOLETS existed, nor Convertible Sedans!!!
I'm very happy with PLAIN Old Tudors & Coupes. I'm even Happy with NO Car, now, It was a "GOOD" ride for a LOOOONG time.
Bill W. & Dog

ronn 12-11-2017 01:40 PM

worth 7500. all day long, but it will sell for more then that.

auctions are tough.

Chevmn56 12-11-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1564539)
worth 7500. all day long, but it will sell for more then that.

auctions are tough.

I hear yeah unrestored i was hoping less than that and the problem is its a blind bid........maybe i wont waste me time....love to have it though. I hate to see it get choped up

CHuDWah 12-11-2017 02:33 PM

I like hot rods but I agree this car looks too nice to be made into one. Can't always tell from pix but it looks to have had some restoration. The top, interior, and engine are dirty but still look too good to be original unless the car is really low miles. Can't tell if the body is rusty or just dirty. Sport Coupes aren't all that rare but they are classy looking. Just be sure the unique top parts are there.

FWIW, NADA shows retail of $11,650 to $28,700 depending on condition. Never can tell about an auction - may go higher or lower. If I was in the market, I'd probably go up to $10,000 if the car runs, drives, and exterior/interior are in decent shape. That's if I was going to keep it - $2,000 to $3,000 less if I was going to flip it.

SeaSlugs 12-11-2017 02:33 PM

I saw a nice 31 4 door that just needed a new interior go for $4800 near me. Auctions are weird - you never know who is gonna show up so you may get lucky and just get a buncha looky lous or hot rodders with no money show up. Although i have seen a basket case of a 29 pickup go for $2100 that same day that might have had $1200 worth of decent parts - go figure. I ended up with some odds and ends and a table full of model A stuff for $12 WITH the table!

Id say with the others $5-8k is a safe bet. Even washed up and got running (granted it wasnt parked for engine issues and mice havent made a nest in it) its an easy 9K+ car so even if you have to put an unknown used engine in it theres money to be made at 8K

If the engine turns out to be junk the rest of it looks nice enough you can easily get your money back.

Chevmn56 12-11-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1564576)
I saw a nice 31 4 door that just needed a new interior go for $4800 near me. Auctions are weird - you never know who is gonna show up so you may get lucky and just get a buncha looky lous or hot rodders with no money show up. Although i have seen a basket case of a 29 pickup go for $2100 that same day that might have had $1200 worth of decent parts - go figure. I ended up with some odds and ends and a table full of model A stuff for $12 WITH the table!

Id say with the others $5-8k is a safe bet. Even washed up and got running (granted it wasnt parked for engine issues and mice havent made a nest in it) its an easy 9K+ car so even if you have to put an unknown used engine in it theres money to be made at 8K

If the engine turns out to be junk the rest of it looks nice enough you can easily get your money back.

I believe ya......IF you could get it for 5-8K i think the problem i might have is flipping it. Im really growing attached to Clyde now as it is, i cant wait to get stuff in the mail get it on and then stand back and look/hear your accomplishment.... im not sure i could flip it!!!!!!!

SeaSlugs 12-11-2017 09:56 PM

then dont! haha some people just like to tinker and drive for awhile then part ways to a good home to make room for the next tinker project. Id love to have a tudor thats got old paint just an OK interior small dents , surface rust, etc and drive it as is BUT currently no room haha.

Mike Peters 12-11-2017 10:20 PM

This 30 sport coupe could sell for a stupid amount of money, or not. Hard to say. This spring watched a 29 cabriolet sell on a local auction for $6400. Old restoration, but the car was severely vandalized. Someone had stolen the doors, hood, front fenders, front bumper, radiator. Why? Don't know, but where do you find cabriolet doors? I thought $6400 was crazy high for about 2/3 of a cabriolet. Compared to the cabriolet, this intact, solid sport coupe is gonna look real good to bidders.

700rpm 12-11-2017 11:23 PM

A fella in our club has a very, very nicely restored 1930 Sport Coupe for sale for $14,500. You could put $10,000 into that auction car and still not be where this member's car is, quality and finish-wise. There are still lots of Model A's out there; you can't save them all (unless you're rich). The hot rodder may not win it. I'd walk away from the auction car.

But let us know what happens! :p

Chevmn56 12-12-2017 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1564816)
then dont! haha some people just like to tinker and drive for awhile then part ways to a good home to make room for the next tinker project. Id love to have a tudor thats got old paint just an OK interior small dents , surface rust, etc and drive it as is BUT currently no room haha.

Hey Slug thats what my tudor is from a distance its awesome up close its defiantly not perfect. When i drive it and people are gawking and giving me thumbs up it makes fill like a high school kid again!!!!! even had a 89 yr old grandma ask me to give her a ride around the parking lot at the grocery store.....she grinned from ear to ear the whole ride. Made me wonder what memories she had flashing back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Peters (Post 1564826)
This 30 sport coupe could sell for a stupid amount of money, or not. Hard to say. This spring watched a 29 cabriolet sell on a local auction for $6400. Old restoration, but the car was severely vandalized. Someone had stolen the doors, hood, front fenders, front bumper, radiator. Why? Don't know, but where do you find cabriolet doors? I thought $6400 was crazy high for about 2/3 of a cabriolet. Compared to the cabriolet, this intact, solid sport coupe is gonna look real good to bidders.

This is what i am worried about even if i did flip it ( to a good home.None hot rodder) i dont think i could brake even unless in another auction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 1564862)
A fella in our club has a very, very nicely restored 1930 Sport Coupe for sale for $14,500. You could put $10,000 into that auction car and still not be where this member's car is, quality and finish-wise. There are still lots of Model A's out there; you can't save them all (unless you're rich). The hot rodder may not win it. I'd walk away from the auction car.

But let us know what happens! :p

Roger that i will.............send me some pics of the Coupe thats for sale...if you dont mind!!!!!! [email protected]