The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Safety Reflector (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222651)

Charles Reese 06-13-2017 07:36 PM

Safety Reflector

2 Attachment(s)
“A-Tips” (Model A News (May-June, 2014) had an excellent safety suggestion for reflective safety tape. In order to use this idea, but not have the tape make direct contact with paint, stick reflective tape on strips of ‘magnetic tape’ (i.e. Home Depot). The magnet stays secure to the body/bumpers, etc, but can be easily removed for photos/judging, etc. My 2 cents!

2manycars 06-13-2017 08:19 PM

Re: Safety Reflector

1 Attachment(s)
I use the tape that trucks and big trailers use along the perimetor, which is alternating red and white, with a prizm like surface to be reflective from many angles. I use the red on the back and the white on the front. I stick it on the bumper braces behind the bumper face bars, so it is visible between the bars, especially at night. This photo shows the front white reflector tape. I cant find a photo of the rear just now

Big hammer 06-13-2017 08:24 PM

The magnetic tape trick is an excellent idea! On my mother in law's car she had something magnetic on the body and after awhile was starting to cause a problem with the paint. So I would recommend removing often and clean under the magnetic tape.

SeaSlugs 06-13-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1485481)
The magnetic tape trick is an excellent idea! On my mother in law's car she had something magnetic on the body and after awhile was starting to cause a problem with the paint. So I would recommend removing often and clean under the magnetic tape.

Not only clean periodically but also wax as that will protect the paint. If it gets wet (washing or rain storm) remove magnets and wipe dry or wait to dry before reattaching.

KGBnut 06-14-2017 07:31 AM

Mine is a daily driver...not by any stretch a fine-points car. I cut out reflective tape (the same truck tape that 2manycars mentioned) and stuck it in my bumper clamps rather than paint the insets blue. As with 2manycars, I have red in the back and white in the front.

That does fine by me, and it is really visible. If I find myself doing a longer drive at night, I have the magnetic tape trick that Charles Reese mentioned all ready to go. Those reflectors usually live in my trunk, but when I need them I slap them on the rear bumper.

Ken

mhsprecher 06-14-2017 03:01 PM

I recommend putting some on the sides, too. Visibility from the side is important at night.

gpits68 06-16-2017 09:14 PM

I purchased some blue reflective tape and put it over the blue on my bumper clamps , not even noticeable during day lite hours .

daveymc29 06-16-2017 10:23 PM

On my trip back from TX in 2008 we followed a chap with a station wagon. He had a large red triangle of reflective tape across the back of his machine like you see on Slow Moving Equipment. People paid attention to it it seemed. No problem with the police that I ever hears of. I should do the same on my trunk, but CHP would probably eat me alive for doing so.

Redbird 06-19-2017 01:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the tip. I just made some out of old refrigerator magnets. White on the front and red on the back.