The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stink Bug Ignition Problems (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274986)

ACS734XC 01-06-2020 01:22 PM

Stink Bug Ignition Problems

1 Attachment(s)
New to the forum and have been struggling with intermittent backfiring and poor running on a 1930 project car I have been working on.

After spending a few days fiddling with the carburetor float level, gapping the points and plugs... I decided to disassemble the distributor and replace the condenser.

Found a dead stink bug inside the distributor. Must have caused arcing between the timing advance copper plate and the ground.

Took out the dead stink bug, and the car runs great!

arnhemmer 01-06-2020 01:26 PM

Re: Stink Bug Ignition Problems

It's always good to get all the bugs out to make the car run great.

Bob C 01-06-2020 02:58 PM

Those wireless plates can be a source of problems also.

Synchro909 01-06-2020 04:28 PM

OK, now I know what a stink bug looks like. They are one of the main reasons it takes sooo long for stuff to arrive here from the US. I am still waiting for a parcel that was delivered to my shipper back in August. I'm told by my shipper that it takes a looong time to fumigate containers for this bug. We DON'T want them here.
Shipments from the US are about the most problematic of all foreign sources because there are so many nasties that have gotten past lax border controls in that country but we want to keep out.
I assume they get the name stink bug because they make a strong smell. Is it when they are squashed or threatened or when? Do they breed prolifically and do they damage crops etc?

77Birdman 01-06-2020 05:18 PM

I hate stink bugs just about more than anything!! They let out a horrendous odor when irritated or killed. I just look at them and can get the smell. I tore into the siding of a house today to repair some rot and there were only a dozen or so of those fellows. On one job, we removed the vinyl siding and there were literally tens of thousands of them stuck to the walls!!!!

Ted Duke 01-06-2020 06:51 PM

Several years ago we literally had tens of thousands of the STINK bugs in or around the house, and neighbors had even more. We now have a few. Some years before that it was lady bug, not the one everyone thought was cute. On one afternoon I vacuumed stink bugs every half hour and FILLED the vacuum bag. Next morning there were more. Still see a few. Brought to you my "Easy Trade Policies?".

Ted Duke 01-06-2020 06:51 PM

YES, they still. Cow shit smells much better!

CWPASADENA 01-06-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1838596)
Those wireless plates can be a source of problems also.

I agree,

If you have more problems, consider getting rid of the "wireless" system and go to a good quality wire for the lower plate.

Chris W.