The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Off topic vehy (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274209)

rer_239 12-18-2019 09:12 AM

Off topic vehy

Guy wants to buy my van sight unseen. Wants my name & address to send check. I'm to notify after check clears & he'll send someone to pick it up. Scam?

DD931 12-18-2019 09:18 AM

Re: Off topic vehy

Sounds fishy to me. I'm familiar with another similar scam, so tread lightly!!!

ryanheacox 12-18-2019 09:25 AM

If it's a check for the full agreed amount and you wait for it to clear then it might be okay? Does sound fishy though.

reggiedog 12-18-2019 09:32 AM

It's got to be a scam what else could it be
reggidog

Big hammer 12-18-2019 09:33 AM

Personal check? probably ok, wait for it to clear your bank. Some scams use checks for more than the agreed price, you cash them and send back the difference.

ronn 12-18-2019 09:33 AM

checks can take up to 6 weeks to truly clear.

Have him send the money- cash through walmart or zelle or wire transfer.

get cash in hand and then do the deal.

Mike Peters 12-18-2019 09:35 AM

Is the check from the lower 48? If so, wait 2 weeks. If international, forget it.

alexiskai 12-18-2019 10:20 AM

Offering the full asking price for any vehicle without inspecting it is risky behavior – why would the buyer do that? I would proceed with caution and try to verify the check, assuming it ever shows up.

GPierce 12-18-2019 10:32 AM

The check will clear initially. After they get the car it will be discovered it was a fake and the bank will take their money back. The car will be long gone out of the country.

rfitzpatrick 12-18-2019 11:21 AM

Re-read post #6. He's right -- 6 weeks

holdover 12-18-2019 11:24 AM

As # 9 says, talk to the bank personally, if you deposit the check in your account it can take many weeks to clear, do not release the vehicle until the bank informs you, preferably in writing, that the funds were legit. My bank manager does this for me without a problem. Once they have the vehicle if it is a scam, you'll never see it again , nor the funds. One of the reasons I like cash in hand, even if it is briefcase full.

Good luck and have a Great Christmas

mike657894 12-18-2019 11:30 AM

total scam. that check will clear. the scammers steal checking numbers and accounts and this is how they drain those accounts. after the theft is noticed that clear gets reversed and you are out for the money and if you dont have it the criminal case.

rer_239 12-18-2019 12:05 PM

Thanks for the input

arnhemmer 12-18-2019 12:15 PM

In God we trust, the rest pay cash

Synchro909 12-18-2019 03:22 PM

I have a friend who has a business producung and distributing parts for 4WD vehicles. He recently received an order from over seas from someone he hadn't dealt with before so he insisted on payment before the parts were shipped. A cheque arrived which he took tothe band. When he later checked, the funds were in his account and the bank told him in a letterthat the cheque was good. A while later, they found it was a dud so they deducted the money from his account. He showed them their own letter saying that all was good and insisted that they pay the money back. They did.
In your position, I'd either do like my friend (get it in writing from the bank that the cheque was good) or I wouldn't agree to his plan. Even if I got a letter from the bank, I'd check the wording carefully. Banks are about the least trustworthy of organisations out there.

wmws 12-18-2019 03:53 PM

Insist on a Cashier's Check. This means his bank is guaranteeing the funds. To be absolutely sure the check is good have your bank call his bank and ask if he recently got a Casher's check for x amount. Then you know it is not a forgery.

mhsprecher 12-18-2019 05:50 PM

If it sounds fishy, it probably is. Seller beware.