The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   HF 2 ton alum. jack, good,bad,indifferent ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276643)

corvette8n 02-12-2020 01:01 PM

HF 2 ton alum. jack, good,bad,indifferent ?

1 Attachment(s)
I been thinking about getting an aluminum jack as my 30yr old cast Chinese one bit the dust. My back can't handle lifting and carrying around heavy jacks anymore. I need something I can throw in the back of my truck when I go to work on kids/grandkids vehicles. I already have jack stands. I have a coupon to get it for $109. Suggestions? Thanks.

deuce_roadster 02-12-2020 01:10 PM

Re: HF 2 ton alum. jack, good,bad,indifferent ?

I think the one I have is 2 1/2 tons but I have had it several years and it has not given me any trouble. I really like how light it is. I think I paid 159 or something like that.

FortyNiner 02-12-2020 01:24 PM

Similar to one I bought - flawless performance for me .

tubman 02-12-2020 01:38 PM

Looks like the one I've had for at least 10 years. Still works fine.

Joe Immler 02-12-2020 01:41 PM

I have had one for 10 years now. It works great and is easy to maneuver. Got it at Harbor Freight.

grumppyoldman 02-12-2020 01:52 PM

My kids bought me one for fathersday, love it. Can carry it with one hand, my other one is heavy and can't lift it, you wont be sorry, us old folks have to be careful with our backs. Al

JSeery 02-12-2020 02:50 PM

I went to alum jack, air tanks, etc a year ago. The other stuff was getting just too heavy.

Ronnieroadster 02-12-2020 08:59 PM

Have a couple of them overall they work fine.

rbone 02-12-2020 10:07 PM

Different experience: I had a HFT floor jack that I just could not get to ease down. It would go from holding pressure to going down quickly on the slightest bump of the handle. I took it back and replaced it, same problem. Took that one back for a refund. Not worth the risk in safety or damaging something that might fall too quickly.

My advice - if you buy one from HFT, take it to the parking lot and try to jack up your vehicle to make sure it works properly before driving home.

After that, I got one from Northern Tool that works as it should.

oldandtired 02-13-2020 05:55 AM

I bought one that looks like what you have in the picture so I wouldn't have to move my far heavier jack from building to building and have had no problems with it. To me it was well worth the price.

Elmo Rodge 02-13-2020 09:24 AM

I have one and it works fine. Really helpful at the races too. Saves lifting the old monster out of the pickup.
Wayno

cajunfirehawk 02-15-2020 03:58 AM

I went with one of their 4 ton Daytona steel jacks in the last year or so and it works very well, so well in fact w/ 7 cars in our yard I bought a second one! Watch those sales, HF is famous for jerking the prices all over the place, I recently picked up our 2nd 3ton jack for $79 but had to wait for a few months for the right coupon to come out.

russcc 02-15-2020 06:48 AM

HF alum. jacks, I have 2, had for several years. Work fine. No leaks. What I found out is HF is the supplier of virtually all the China floor jacks sold to today. The ones NAPA sells come from HF'. So it seem no matter which one you buy, most of them originate from HF & China. Always prefer USA made products, and still do, but the Chinese stuff has come along way, and is much better.

TomT/Williamsburg 02-15-2020 05:04 PM

I put them in the trunk of my hot rods just in case with a jack stand - both have worked great so far .....

Flathead 02-16-2020 01:11 PM

I have one of their cheapest aluminum jacks and I use it a lot. Never had a problem and it is easy to carry anywhere.