The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Head light focusing procedure (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275535)

James G. 01-17-2020 09:18 PM

Head light focusing procedure

I'm finally convinced that my night time driving issue with my Tudor headlight must be focusing. I've cleaned the reflectors, checked the headlamp bulbs, all in excellent shape. Where can I find/get a copy of this steps/procedure? Any/all help greatly appreciated! Jim Gregory, GBMAFC

Gary WA 01-17-2020 09:26 PM

Re: Head light focusing procedure

Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook Vol1 by Les Andrews sold on MAFCA or Model A Vendors Berts,Brattons etc.

Gary WA 01-17-2020 09:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
may help?

Ranchero50 01-17-2020 10:16 PM

Ultimately take the car out to a dark section of abandoned road and adjust them there so you can see stop signs and the road in front of you. I do it at industrial areas.

Dennisfly 01-17-2020 10:20 PM

I believe it is also in the Model A instruction Book

GMCPASO 01-17-2020 10:44 PM

It helps if it is a foggy night also.

ryanheacox 01-17-2020 11:04 PM

I don't think anyone has asked what reflectors you have? If they are the chromed ones then you may not be able to properly focus the bulbs no matter what you do.

Kurt in NJ 01-18-2020 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you take the lens off, shine the light on a wall 25 feet away the property focused beam without the lens will look like this

Badpuppy 01-18-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1842564)
may help?

The pics are from the Model A instruction book (owner's manual). Beam height is 33" for 28-29, 37" for 30-31 to agree with headlight center height.

captndan 01-18-2020 10:52 AM

Just loosen the nut on the bottom and point the lights wherever you want.

Bob C 01-18-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captndan (Post 1842680)
Just loosen the nut on the bottom and point the lights wherever you want.

That will work for aiming the beam but it won't do anything for the focus.

Will N 01-18-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1842585)
I don't think anyone has asked what reflectors you have? If they are the chromed ones then you may not be able to properly focus the bulbs no matter what you do.

Ditto. The repros that were available were not the correct shape and you will never be able to focus them. Bratton's sells a new coated aluminized reflector that is made to the original blueprint, and these can be focused. Of course, so can originals where the silver is in good condition.

29closedcabguy 01-20-2020 09:09 AM

I was not able to focus my headlights or get as much light out of them as I felt they should produce. I tried everything even led bulbs. Finally I discovered I had the poorly designed crome reflectors. I installed the new aluminum reflectors and BOOM!!!! I now had actually high and low beam not just brighter on high beam. Also the original silver reflectors reflect 95% of the light, chrome reflectivity is only around 65%. The new polished aluminum is 90% reflective. I went from none focused 65% reflectivity to 90% focused lighting. The resulting outcome was like magic.

ryanheacox 01-20-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29closedcabguy (Post 1843387)
I was not able to focus my headlights or get as much light out of them as I felt they should produce. I tried everything even led bulbs. Finally I discovered I had the poorly designed crome reflectors. I installed the new aluminum reflectors and BOOM!!!! I now had actually high and low beam not just brighter on high beam. Also the original silver reflectors reflect 95% of the light, chrome reflectivity is only around 65%. The new polished aluminum is 90% reflective. I went from none focused 65% reflectivity to 90% focused lighting. The resulting outcome was like magic.

Great! I was in the same boat as you, bought new Brattons reflectors and was blown away by the difference.

Ranchero50 01-20-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29closedcabguy (Post 1843387)

That was the problem I found with LED's. The light emitter wasn't at the same spot as the Halogens so the focus was way off.

Steve Rinaldo 01-20-2020 11:36 AM

How do you tell if you have silvered, chrome or aluminum reflectors? Thanks, Steve