The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pictures of a Doghouse for Model A Engines (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220840)

Tom Wesenberg 05-15-2017 09:25 PM

Pictures of a Doghouse for Model A Engines

5 Attachment(s)
I just finished this today. My garage is small and full, and I needed someplace to store my Delco Light Plant and a Model A engine. If I remove the Delco, I think it has enough room for 3 Model A engines. Storing parts under those cheap plastic sheets just doesn't cut it. This is so tight it's even mouse proof, but I may put some mothballs in to keep insects out.

I don't think any community has rules against having dog houses, even though it has no door. I got about half the materials free out of a dumpster from a local house remodel, but the things I needed to buy still cost me about $100. I used 3 hinges so I can tip the roof and sides out of the way to work on the engines.

I included a before picture of the Delco I bought off ebay. I used diesel fuel and a soft paint brush to clean it up. It came out good enough to leave it as a survivor, although I may have to repaint the gas tank and the intake tube after I straighten the dent.

I built it on some plastic milk crates, but a nice flat cement pad sure would have been better.

mountstimothy0 05-15-2017 11:15 PM

Re: Pictures of a Doghouse for Model A Engines

Necessity is the mother of invention. I like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

40 Deluxe 05-15-2017 11:32 PM

Can you keep condensation out? Cold heavy metal parts like to "sweat" when the weather turns warm and humid after a cool spell. Hopefully you've got that 'doghouse' tight enough, but I've seen some nasty rust when containers like this are opened after a few months or years. Seems like stuff stored just under a roof with open sides will just get mild surface rust but something kept in what looks a weather tight container will still get condensation that never evaporates, just keeps rusting deeper and deeper.

Synchro909 05-16-2017 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1473081)
Can you keep condensation out? Cold heavy metal parts like to "sweat" when the weather turns warm and humid after a cool spell. Hopefully you've got that 'doghouse' tight enough, but I've seen some nasty rust when containers like this are opened after a few months or years. Seems like stuff stored just under a roof with open sides will just get mild surface rust but something kept in what looks a weather tight container will still get condensation that never evaporates, just keeps rusting deeper and deeper.

Maybe a vent in the gable?

RUNNERBUN 05-16-2017 01:20 AM

I thought what a great idea when I first saw it. But then I had second thoughts, what if my wife decided to put me in the Dog House, and there isn't room for both me and the Bar Fridge.:eek::p:p:p
Seriously Tom, it's a good idea.

Tom Wesenberg 05-16-2017 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1473085)
Maybe a vent in the gable?

I wasn't sure if air tight or vented would be best, so I decided to try air tight first. I'm going to put a piece of bare metal in it to see if it gets rusty.

It's plywood fully painted on the inside, fully covered on the outside with thin tar paper, then covered with vinyl siding. This was my first experience working with vinyl siding, so I tried a few different ways to cut it, and found a fine tooth saw blade installed backwards in the table saw works best.

Bruce of MN 05-16-2017 04:20 AM

A friend's Dad built a small bunkhouse on skids, disguised as a large ice fishing shack, on his lake lot near Walker.

Hoogah 05-16-2017 06:43 AM

Thinking outside the square, how about adding a handful of silica gel desiccant? Or rice?

pgerhardt 05-16-2017 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1473081)

Hang a dessicant pack in there and have no worries. :D

eagle 05-16-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1473092)
I wasn't sure if air tight or vented would be best, so I decided to try air tight first. I'm going to put a piece of bare metal in it to see if it gets rusty.

It's plywood fully painted on the inside, fully covered on the outside with thin tar paper, then covered with vinyl siding. This was my first experience working with vinyl siding, so I tried a few different ways to cut it, and found a fine tooth saw blade installed backwards in the table saw works best.

A metal cutoff saw blade that is wore down to around 12 inches, installed in a table saw works great for vinyl siding. A toothed blade can break siding if its a cold day in the fall, even installed backwards. You have to use a bushing on the arbor as a cutoff blade has a larger hole.

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-16-2017 08:41 AM

If you run a saw blade BACKWARDS, is it sorta' SELF SHARPENING?
Bill Curious

JRShaw 05-16-2017 09:47 AM

NEAT-O IDEA!!!! If there is ventilation needed, how about some soffit vents like on a real house. Wish there was room for a microwave and refrigerator!

Take Care.

duke36 05-16-2017 10:22 AM

add 2 screened vents , one near the bottom and one up at the top somewhere to prevent condensation forming on inside of walls, roof ( approx. 1 sq. inch / 1.5 sq. ft of floor area).

Tom Wesenberg 05-16-2017 11:05 AM

Before I add vents I will try this for a while and see how it goes.

Last night it rained, and now my beautiful white roof looks like someone threw dirt all over it.
I didn't realize rain had so much dirt in it.

Dollar Bill 05-16-2017 01:31 PM

Be sure to place a vapor barrier on the bottom to stop ground moisture intrusion.

I'm thinking if you close it up when humidity is low you'll be fine as built as it sounds like you've got it pretty well sealed up.

Tacoma Bob 05-16-2017 01:40 PM

Just a thought............I built something similar for my koi pond bio filter. I lined it with 2 inch bead board (Styrofoam) FWIW it has never frozen in 20 years.

40 Deluxe 05-16-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollar Bill (Post 1473288)
Be sure to place a vapor barrier on the bottom to stop ground moisture intrusion.

I'm thinking if you close it up when humidity is low you'll be fine as built as it sounds like you've got it pretty well sealed up.

It will get pretty warm inside from the sun and since warm air expands, it will find a way out or make a way out. Then when it cools off in the evening, air will come back in bringing moisture with it. And a muggy summer day in Minnesota has plenty of moisture!