The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   headers vs duals (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292369)

demingboy 01-01-2021 04:58 PM

headers vs duals

Hi there
Doing more reading. Trying to see if dual exhaust will be as good as headers.
Worry about drivers side clearing steering box. I have read all posting,s about Reds headers etc.
Waldrons sells a complete dual changeover set that I am thinking of using. Just curious if I will see much difference between headers and duals?
Understand that either should make it run a liitle cooler maybe?
We have no muffler shops close to where I live in Deming New Mexico.

Kube 01-01-2021 05:02 PM

Re: headers vs duals

Quote:

Originally Posted by demingboy (Post 1969225)
Hi there
Doing more reading. Trying to see if dual exhaust will be as good as headers.
Worry about drivers side clearing steering box. I have read all posting,s about Reds headers etc.
Waldrons sells a complete dual changeover set that I am thinking of using. Just curious if I will see much difference between headers and duals?
Understand that either should make it run a liitle cooler maybe?
We have no muffler shops close to where I live in Deming New Mexico.

Stock flatty?
You won't see any discernable improvement in power gain or cooling regardless of which way you choose to go.
Just changes the sound of the car...

demingboy 01-01-2021 05:09 PM

Well darn

51 MERC-CT 01-01-2021 05:17 PM

And with a dual exhaust and a set of suitable mufflers (or none) there is

nothing that has that same satisfying flathead sound.

flatford8 01-01-2021 05:19 PM

If you’re looking for sound.... some members on here have replaced their muffler with a straight pipe....... it’s much cheaper and you’ll know if you like it. Other than that your best bet is probably Waldron's. They’ve been in business for a long time..... Mark

TonyM 01-01-2021 05:26 PM

Here is the link:

http://waldronexhaust.com/

19Fordy 01-01-2021 05:44 PM

"Kube" is 150% correct. I had duals on my 40 with OEM exhaust headers and there was no difference.
Changed to FENTONS with dual exhaust and no differences except the sound because of the Smithy mufflers.
But, on cold morningsit's neat to see exhaust puffing out of each exhaust pipe.

Kube 01-01-2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1969246)
"Kube" is 150% correct. I had duals on my 40 with OEM exhaust headers and there was no difference.
Changed to FENTONS with dual exhaust and no differences except the sound because of the Smithy mufflers.
But, on cold morningsit's neat to see exhaust puffing out of each exhaust pipe.

I will readily admit, a set of Smithy's mufflers do sound darn good :)

19Fordy 01-01-2021 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still using them with the FENTONS and dual exhaust, just for the look and the sound. No performance change.

flathead 39 01-01-2021 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1969275)
I will readily admit, a set of Smithy's mufflers do sound darn good :)

I have always liked the sound of a pair of any brand 30" glasspacks, especially on a flathead.

36and63 01-01-2021 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatford8 (Post 1969235)
If you’re looking for sound.... some members on here have replaced their muffler with a straight pipe....... it’s much cheaper and you’ll know if you like it. Other than that your best bet is probably Waldron's. They’ve been in business for a long time..... Mark

Personally I like my Fenton's with no mufflers , nothing to do with saving money. Just love the sound of that flathead: :D

Ford Freak 01-01-2021 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flathead 39 (Post 1969323)
I have always liked the sound of a pair of any brand 30" glasspacks, especially on a flathead.

Yes sir !!

Tinker 01-01-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 36and63 (Post 1969328)
Personally I like my Fenton's with no mufflers , nothing to do with saving money. Just love the sound of that flathead: :D

Little loud for me these days, just a personal preference. But I like it on others. Just don't own no muffler cars anymore (fentons yes).

I personally believe getting the exhaust out the motor reduces heat. But I can't say it truthfully makes a difference.

I will suggest to you dual guys to go with 1.75" pipes. It'll give you that crackle you want. Even with mufflers. Big pipes, big droning noise. Sure it depends on the motor build.

slowforty 01-01-2021 11:18 PM

According to a 1956 Hot Rod Magazine on a basically stock engine , stock manifolds work well. I have this setup on my 40 since 1989. Probably nothing left inside the mufflers.
Sounds good and cost effective.

fortyonerag 01-02-2021 05:06 AM

I put a set of Reds on my 41. Fitted nicely, but make sure you know if you have forward control rods (?) or not, as they will be in the way if you order the wrong set.

Red's can supply the entire system if you ask 'em. They told me you can't fit the long Smitties due to space limits, so I went with 22's. Great sound.

As to the horsepower benefit, it sounds more powerful, right?

danliveshere 01-02-2021 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I fabricated my own headers into a single stainless system because I want to keep the battery under the floor. I doubt it would make much extra hp but hopefully a little extra low rpm torque as it will be running a Columbia axle.

Tim Ayers 01-02-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danliveshere (Post 1969406)
I fabricated my own headers into a single stainless system because I want to keep the battery under the floor. I doubt it would make much extra hp but hopefully a little extra low rpm torque as it will be running a Columbia axle.

Interesting. Curious, where is that fourth pipe next to the last one on the left connecting to? A cross over?

danliveshere 01-02-2021 07:59 AM

Tim yes it’s the cross over. It’s a Rhd vehicle so the exhaust is opposite to what you’re used to seeing.

corvette8n 01-02-2021 08:26 AM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284567

My ‘41 had headers and duels on it when I bought it see my saga above. I did purchase a pipe from Reds that goes from the header to the muffler as I had to cut the old one off. The mufflers are Porters, the whole system seems to fit well so I think the previous owner bought a complete kit. It may not add power but it never gets old listening to that flatty sound.

Ford Freak 01-02-2021 09:52 AM

Corvette8n - What do the Porter mufflers sound like ? Are they like a glasspack ? - F F