The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Removing Ignition Cable from Distributor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226638)

revliw 08-12-2017 04:57 PM

Removing Ignition Cable from Distributor

I need to remove my distributor to unscrew my armored ignition cable from the Distributor. Will I need to retime the engine when I re-install the Distributor?
Thank you for any input.

1crosscut 08-12-2017 05:10 PM

Re: Removing Ignition Cable from Distributor

No you will not need to. It only goes on one way once you have it set.

Drive Shaft Dave 08-12-2017 05:14 PM

No. If you had to remove the cable clamp, drain the coolant. It is very suprising how flexible these Model A head are. The coolant could wind up in the crankcase, into the combustion chamber past the rings.

Gary WA 08-12-2017 06:52 PM

No Just don't turn over motor or move vehicle

RawhideKid 08-12-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revliw (Post 1512428)
I need to remove my distributor to unscrew my armored ignition cable from the Distributor. Will I need to retime the engine when I re-install the Distributor?
Thank you for any input.

Absolutely NOT. Since the distributor shaft has a slot that is off center, you can remove and replace it at will with nothing to worry about, even if you crank the motor over to do a compression check. The distributor can ONLY go in one way and as long as you do nothing to the internal parts of the distributor, the timing will remain the same.

Now, just an FYI, IF you decide to change the points while you have the distributor out, You can do this as long as you set the points to .020 gap and have only a small change in the timing. Remember, the timing is controlled by the placement of the CAM on the distributor shaft. You will NOT be able to change the points if you have the original style points as you must remove the cam first to get the upper plate off, but if you have the modern upper plate and points that screw on from the top, change points at will.

revliw 08-12-2017 07:47 PM

Thank you everyone for the response. I was not thinking that I would have to drain the radiator to loosen one headbolt. I am surprised the coolant could leak into the crankcase and cylinders.

Tom Wesenberg 08-12-2017 08:04 PM

Yep, it ruined a new babbit job on a club member's car several years ago.

1crosscut 08-12-2017 09:48 PM

I would suggest that you lower the coolant level before removing the nut to get the cable clamp off. Once you get the cable clamp off put the nut on straight away and torque it down. Remove the cable clamp from the armored cable and store it away and not use it anymore. It was there to help prevent a car from being easily hot wired and stolen. If you are worried about someone stealing it while it is parked somewhere just pop the distributor cap and put the rotor in your pocket.
In my opinion the odds of you having a leak are low if you are quick about the switch.
It will make working on the distributor much easier in the future.

johnbuckley 08-13-2017 03:45 AM

x2 Cross cut

30ccpickup 08-13-2017 05:54 AM

X3 on above, but you will need some type of spacer and/or washers to replace the thickness of the clamp.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-13-2017 10:08 AM

"They" should OUTLAW thet CABLE CLAMP!
Bill Violator