The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Main Issue (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282143)

rfitzpatrick 06-05-2020 04:09 PM

Main Issue

What is the single biggest maintenance issue, for keeping the Model A driveable. Examble-- Carburator - steering wobble -- shifting gears --Wife complaints -- thing along those's lines
Thanks

Gary WA 06-05-2020 05:26 PM

Re: Main Issue

3 Attachment(s)
Gas, oil water. Drive drive drive.

Kurt in NJ 06-05-2020 06:17 PM

lubricating the chassis, not much in the line of seals to keep dirt out so often greasing is used

McMimmcs 06-05-2020 06:48 PM

In my opinion there is no Central or main issue. Every owner has their own issues because every person's expectactions, skills, abilities, knowledge and personal situation is different.

Purdy Swoft 06-05-2020 07:37 PM

Not a big job but I feel that the biggest issue keeping the model A running would be the distributor , as with the condenser and ignition points .

Blue-Truck-Nut 06-05-2020 11:41 PM

I'd have to say, sitting disease. If you want it to stay dependable, drive it. Model A's are a little more resilient than many other vehicles, but they still like to be driven.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Patrick L. 06-06-2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary wa (Post 1895939)
gas, oil water. Drive drive drive.

:d:d:d:d:d:d

Bob Bidonde 06-06-2020 07:21 AM

#1. Keeping the wheels clean is a pain in the derriere! The molded brake linings in my Victoria emit black brake dust, so they have to go this coming fall.

Ernie Vitucci 06-06-2020 03:21 PM

I agree with drive, drive, drive. Get her out and run her once a week if you possibly can. I've had my current 31 Tudor for 15 years and she has been on a flatbed one time, in the first six months that I had her. She broke a clutch adjusting rod that appeared to have been half broken for years! If she is new to you, join the closest Model A Club, get help to give her a major tune up...drive her and change the oil every 500 miles and have her lubed at the same time. The same tech at Kelley's Automotive in Fountain Hills, Arizona has done the lube and oil and filter (after market filter) for 15 years and the old girl is HAPPY! Ernie in Arizona

old31 06-06-2020 04:54 PM

Gas wife dist wife rear end wife engine wife radiator wife vac wiper wife trans wife glass wife tires wife brakes wife adjustments wife condenser wife points wife wife spark plugs wifes accelerator pedal wife light bulbs wife polish wife money wife no money wife lost registraton wife new wife wife.:D

Johnny Nitro 06-07-2020 06:13 AM

Some may say cooling issues, but I’ve never had a problem. For the life of me, tho, I cannot keep my head gaskets from leaking. Even just inconsequentially. Drives me batty.

DBSHELTON 06-07-2020 06:36 AM

Oil leaks are my biggest issue. Everydamnthing on both of mine leak!

johnneilson 06-07-2020 09:38 AM

IMHO, the problem is the mis-conception of what a Model "A" is.

If you keep the mindset that this is not a freeway flyer and traffic back then was more horse avoidance, then you can enjoy it.

I read so many posts complaining about leaking, squeaking, rattling etc. This is what makes a Model "A".

As the old joke about the British goes, "Why don't they make computers?"
Because they couldn't make them leak oil!!

Embrace the car for what it is, enjoy it, what ever your discipline is.

We have politics to argue about every where else.

J

Gary WA 06-07-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Nitro (Post 1896409)
Some may say cooling issues, but I’ve never had a problem. For the life of me, tho, I cannot keep my head gaskets from leaking. Even just inconsequentially. Drives me batty.

Try this method! As per Larry B. Never had a problem in many head installation. Copper Gaskets Only. Mytake!Model A Ford Garage ~ Brumfield Cylinder Head Gasket Instructionss