The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   oil pan modification (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281671)

kelly.ga 05-27-2020 12:58 PM

oil pan modification

Once again, I got splashed with oil while changing the oil in my 47. i'm thinking about modifying the plug so I can put a smaller plug in it. Has anyone ever done this or does someone already make them. Or am I the only one that has this problem.

19Fordy 05-27-2020 01:32 PM

Re: oil pan modification

I bet you could easily weld or braze an oil drain plug bung onto your present pan.
This one looks good as it has a low profile.
https://www.amazon.com/ALLSTAR-PERFO.../dp/B07QYGMVT5

marko39 05-27-2020 03:35 PM

See if plug is a pipe thread, if it is you can buy a bushing to have a smaller plug. Mark

Tony, NY 05-27-2020 03:48 PM

Maybe one of these with the right thread would work. Drain valve.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUMOTO-T-20...EAAOSw4mNemM7s

GOSFAST 05-27-2020 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple ideas, ones we've done most recently on a number of Flathead pans. Relatively easy!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I may have a couple bushings we fabricated here in stock still, these require welding however to install! You can use a "conventional" drain plug after the fix.

Brian 05-27-2020 04:31 PM

Early oil pans had a smaller drain bung. Somewhere in one of my oilpans, the large drain plug has been drilled and tapped to suit the smaller bung. Easy solution for you would be to modify your drain plug the same way. Loctite it back into the pan and from then on just undo the smaller plug.

deuce_roadster 05-27-2020 04:40 PM

I never have any problem, I do wear latex exam gloves but never had a mess or any splashing. How far does the oil drop before it hits your container? When the plug gets close to the last threads unscrew it quickly and hang on to it. You can put blocks under your catch pan so it is closer to the oil pan.

hardtimes 05-27-2020 04:41 PM

Look around. You will find different ideas/plugs for ‘fix’.
One type that has been available for years, is a plug with a drain valve built in. And it has a small ‘pipestub’ to attach a rubber drain tube.

Can be shut off/on easily and addresses the messy problem of oil changing. This plug just stays in place.
I can’t do pic here. But a search should find it.

Tony, NY 05-27-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1892664)
Look around. You will find different ideas/plugs for ‘fix’.
One type that has been available for years, is a plug with a drain valve built in. And it has a small ‘pipestub’ to attach a rubber drain tube.

Can be shut off/on easily and addresses the messy problem of oil changing. This plug just stays in place.
I can’t do pic here. But a search should find it.

See my post above.

oldford2 05-27-2020 05:36 PM

Come on Guys. these early Fords were simple so lets keep it that way.
Draining the old oil? messy problem of oil changing??
Your oil pan plug is (I assume) like my 46. Large. Just use a bucket, not a pan and block it up to within a few inches. Loosen the big drain plug so you can then reach in your rubber gloved hand and finish unscrewing it. Hold on to it until everything drains.
So why change Henry's design? Make things simple...new plug,? welding your pan?
JMO from an old Ford guy
John

kelly.ga 05-27-2020 06:04 PM

I looked at these and I really like the Dorman HELP 65128. no welding necessary. Thanks

kelly.ga 05-27-2020 06:06 PM

i assume it has pipe threads. may look into that. Thanks

kelly.ga 05-27-2020 06:08 PM

i like these too. no welding. Thanks

kelly.ga 05-27-2020 06:12 PM

Distance is maybe a foot. The problem comes when the plug comes out, then oil gushes out all over my hand. arm, floor, and this last time in my eyes.

kelly.ga 05-27-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1892597)
I bet you could easily weld or braze an oil drain plug bung onto your present pan.
This one looks good as it has a low profile.
https://www.amazon.com/ALLSTAR-PERFO.../dp/B07QYGMVT5

i looked at these. and i also just learned how to reply

oldford2 05-27-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOSFAST (Post 1892656)
Here's a couple ideas, ones we've done most recently on a number of Flathead pans. Relatively easy!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I may have a couple bushings we fabricated here in stock still, these require welding however to install! You can use a "conventional" drain plug after the fix.

Gary
I don't think that is a 47 pan like the poster is asking about

Talkwrench 05-27-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 1892663)
I never have any problem, I do wear latex exam gloves but never had a mess or any splashing. How far does the oil drop before it hits your container? When the plug gets close to the last threads unscrew it quickly and hang on to it. You can put blocks under your catch pan so it is closer to the oil pan.

Its all I do. Also there is an advantage of having the larger hole, you can stick your finger in there for a good feel around.

oldford2 05-27-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkwrench (Post 1892721)
. Also there is an advantage of having the larger hole, you can stick your finger in there for a good feel around.

Oh you Aussis are a fun bunch:D

deuce_roadster 05-27-2020 06:53 PM

The stock drain plug threads are NOT pipe threads.

cas3 05-27-2020 07:32 PM

i think the big plug is a good thing. oil rushes out carrying any crud that will go with the tidal wave, and you can stick your finger in to feel the floor of the pan. now that you know what to expect, just be ready for it