The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   failed sealer gas tank cleaner, alcohol ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272534)

31Abone 11-12-2019 12:50 PM

failed sealer gas tank cleaner, alcohol ?

Have gas tank that had been sealed 20 years ago and is failing....junk is plugging up my filter best cleaner ? alcohol ? lye ? caustic soda , boil it out at a shop ? put rocks in it a strap to tractor wheel ? any ideas ? tnx much

holdover 11-12-2019 01:46 PM

Re: failed sealer gas tank cleaner, alcohol ?

"Strap to a tractor wheel with rocks", never thought about that.... There are a few people that take them apart and fix them. If it weren't for the liability, it would be nice if new ones were manufactured, say out of SS to end the problem forever. just a thought

ronn 11-12-2019 01:53 PM

I have a harbor freight cement mixer to strap to. let it turn all day........

seriously, I would grab my power washer and shoot it out real good or go to a car wash and spray the inside out.

then use a vacuum on blow with duct tape and blow it dry.

40 Deluxe 11-12-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1820565)
I have a harbor freight cement mixer to strap to. let it turn all day........

seriously, I would grab my power washer and shoot it out real good or go to a car wash and spray the inside out.

then use a vacuum on blow with duct tape and blow it dry.

You'll never get all the nooks and crannies with a power washer. And rocks might crumble a little and leave grit behind. Try a box or two of roofing nails and strap to the mixer. If a nail or two gets left inside, no biggie.

redmodelt 11-12-2019 08:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Unless it's liquid, what ever you put in has to get over under and around the baffles and back out that little hole the gas get put in thru or out the gas gauge hole.

zzlegend 11-12-2019 08:53 PM

Yep. I have done two motorcycle tanks strapped to a mixer. Did a fine job. I used small pebbles.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-12-2019 10:36 PM

The only best way is in post 5, has been discussed in length on FB, and Brent does gas tanks the restoration way. Remove tank and split it apart at the welds. To make it rust free you need to remove all the sealer before treating for rust. and then treating/coating to keep rust away. Pretty much impossible to do because of the baffles unless tank is disassembled. If all the sealer is not removed, rust stays lurking behind the sealer

redmodelt 11-13-2019 12:38 AM

Or have it acid cleaned. That what we do with our tank, well most. We just had a 1936 tank cleaned(it too had the old liner in it) and re-tinned. Inside and out. The place that did the clean/tin is located between Portland and Salem Oregon.