The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Possible Scam (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287259)

51504bat 09-15-2020 07:58 AM

Possible Scam

I recently posted an ad in the classifieds wanting a single 1930 CA license plate. Today I received this PM from a member who just joined today:
Hi contact [email protected]
They have what you are looking for

This type of post from a new member with zero posts is a classic scam. I reported the post to the mods but I'm also posting here to alert everyone about this member: harryallen2467 I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Black Fifty 09-15-2020 12:41 PM

Re: Possible Scam

Thank you for the heads-up. Seems like a lot of that happening right now.
Mike

Lanny 09-15-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1931830)
I recently posted an ad in the classifieds wanting a single 1930 CA license plate. Today I received this PM from a member who just joined today:
Hi contact [email protected]
They have what you are looking for

This type of post from a new member with zero posts is a classic scam. I reported the post to the mods but I'm also posting here to alert everyone about this member: harryallen2467 I might be wrong but I doubt it.

===============================================

.Do a google search for [email protected] and it
will erase all doubt in your mind that you might be wrong. :eek:

Tim Ayers 09-15-2020 01:54 PM

No doubt about it. Total scam.

51504bat 09-15-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanny (Post 1931963)
===============================================

.Do a google search for [email protected] and it
will erase all doubt in your mind that you might be wrong. :eek:

Good to know. Got another PM same thing different member and email. Reported it and deleted it. I'll google the address next time just for fun.

TJ 09-16-2020 09:48 AM

These crooks are working the V-8 Club website also.

Pdstark 09-16-2020 06:24 PM

I’m a new member with just a couple posts...not a scammer, but scammers do make us newbies look suspicious. If your not sure about me just pm me - or wait awhile - I’m not going anywhere - and don’t need anyone’s $

51504bat 09-16-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdstark (Post 1932386)
I’m a new member with just a couple posts...not a scammer, but scammers do make us newbies look suspicious. If your not sure about me just pm me - or wait awhile - I’m not going anywhere - and don’t need anyone’s $

But you aren't replying to a wanted ad on the day you joined with zero posts and not trying to communicate via a link to someone else's email. You would send a PM as a reply and if you were passing on info you would make it clear about the info you had. Your all good here. Even the most seasoned veteran here on the Barn started with 1 post. Oh, and welcome aboard!

Scott52 09-16-2020 09:52 PM

try posting an add on Craigslist. Withing minutes you will get a do you still have the part? It's a scam too.

cas3 09-16-2020 10:00 PM

whenever i sell on craigslist i put in the ad, NO TEXT. within a few minutes, you get a text!

1oldtimer 09-19-2020 09:02 PM

A lot of scamming done with gmail now. On craigslist I don't put any contact info, the buyer has to email through craigslist and I do all contact that way (even IF they give a number) until I feel comfortable that it's a real person (check wording, spelling, name/number on google, email address, ask where they're coming from.....). Then I give my contact number and I give my address the day before meeting (sometimes day of).

You have to be paranoid now, they don't always phish for money from everyone......they try to get information. They use that info on the next person to look more real and then to get money/identity.

51504bat 09-19-2020 09:25 PM

ÚFor small parts/stuff I meet the buyer at a gas station/mini mart near a freeway off ramp. Makes it easier on them and they don't know where I live. Hard to do with engines or other big stuff.

KGS 09-20-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1933417)
ÚFor small parts/stuff I meet the buyer at a gas station/mini mart near a freeway off ramp. Makes it easier on them and they don't know where I live. Hard to do with engines or other big stuff.

We use the parking lot of the local police station.
Ken

Bob/Pa 09-20-2020 09:51 AM

Careful with phone number also. Comcast advised my number was used hundreds of times to scam from midnight til 6 am. Had to change the security so they can't use it anymore.

cas3 09-20-2020 05:11 PM

recently i called an ad on CL. phone was answered, "you have reached google voice, please hold while we notify your contact". well, nothing happened. no ring, no voicemail, so i hung up. i had never heard of google voice, so i googled it up. google listing says it came out in 2011, and it will make your life wonderful, bla, bla. so, i added the word scam to the search. now, it brings up all the scams, mainly for hiding the numbers you call, like cheating on your wife. so then, i add CL to the search, now saying "google voice craigslist scams". this time, most info is about scammers trying to get the google voice code from a seller, so they can use the account/phone # to do other scams. now in my case, i was the buyer, never spoke to anyone, but surely they have my number in they're call log now. this was a month ago, have not seen any results yet, but who knows what these crooks are up to these days.

corvette8n 09-20-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob/Pa (Post 1933514)
Careful with phone number also. Comcast advised my number was used hundreds of times to scam from midnight til 6 am. Had to change the security so they can't use it anymore.

I have a cheap tracfone that I bought 3 months of service for, and use that for Craigslist.

Aarongriffey 09-20-2020 08:06 PM

Very good info.
Also, corvette has a gtreat idea. I may just do that myself.
I notice when I get a scam call from some company and I put their number on the do not call list they just call me from a different number.
You just can’t win.

hoss73ford 09-24-2020 06:03 AM

The address [email protected] rang a bell so I started digging thru my old notes (its been a long time since my last post) It is a scam!! About five years ago I was looking for some original wheels for a '66 F250 and got a response with that address. After a couple more emails, the responder wanted payment by MoneyGram and I knew it was a scam.