The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   49 tudor filler pipe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254190)

melisahe 11-03-2018 05:39 PM

49 tudor filler pipe

Putting trunk in 49 ford. Can someone be find enough to give me some measurements for the filler tube to penetrate the new trunk floor. the car didn't have a trunk floor when I bought it. I'm afraid if I don't have a starting point I'll ruin the new trunk pans.

50fordcoupeman 11-03-2018 08:23 PM

Re: 49 tudor filler pipe

Do you think it would be the same as a '50 coupe?

Frank Miller 11-04-2018 07:53 AM

I'm guessing you have no quarter panel on it because installing the filler tube will put it right where it needs to be. To answer above the hole is probably in the same spot but the filler tube is different due to the use of a gas cap door.

melisahe 11-04-2018 08:44 AM

I do have the Qtr panel on the car. When I insert the filler tube it will go in about a six inch radius from a center point. A measurement from the side quarter panel to approximately the center of the tube will put me in the ballpark. Thank You.

19Fordy 11-04-2018 09:25 AM

Before welding in the trunk floor install the filler tube to the tank and quarter panel.
Then do the floor using a cardboard template to locate needed hole in the floor.

rotorwrench 11-04-2018 10:09 AM

I would try what ever works best. I have no idea how extensive the surgery is so it's hard to give advice. I also don't know what type of floor pan replacement you have there. Some floor pans are good and some not so much. Everything should be fit with the actual parts that are going in there. If the tank is bolted in place, the filler bung can be used to get the exact location. The tank can then be removed for welding or cutting operations. If too much of the floor is gone then I can see where that might be difficult. On my Mercury cars, the tank attaches to the back of the frame so I could do fitting from that. There is generally a spare tire well in play on the shoe box designs but some pans don't cut the opening so folks can choose to use or not. Some trunk floors come in multiple pieces so that further complicates things. All I can suggest is fit all the parts at the same time and just tack stuff is a few places or use magnets, screw in clips, or clecos to hold pieces for fitting. any extra holes can be welded up later.

How much of the cars original floor is still useable? Measurements can be given but the accuracy may vary somewhat from car to car. This is especially true if there was ever some frame bending or movement off plumb from original position. The hole is an ellipse so it will have to be clocked correctly too. If it's off, weld in a piece to correct it. Start with a small hole. It's easier to correct that way if it's off. The rubber grommet that fits there may also be a help for size.

You would be hard pressed to ruin a floor pan. It's easy to fix any mistakes by just welding it up & starting over.

Habusailor 11-04-2018 11:44 AM

I have a 49 4dr. I will send you pics and measurements later today. Not sure if it exactly like the 2 Dr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50fordcoupeman 11-04-2018 02:29 PM

M...........on my '50 coupe it is 11" from the quarter panel to the middle of the filler neck and 12 1/2" from the rear of the the car to the filler neck to where it goes thru the the floor pan. I believe '49 and '50 gas tanks are the same. Hope this helps.

melisahe 11-05-2018 09:27 AM

Thanks to all! 50fordcoupeman that's what I needed. For information purposes the gas tank mounts to the floor pan and the trunk floor is three piece EMS. Again Thank You All.