The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Steering Wheel Repair (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203800)

Henry/Kokomo 09-02-2016 03:20 PM

Steering Wheel Repair

I'm working on rebuilding steering components for my '30 AV8 Roadster. I have a 1930-something Ford wheel in pretty good shape with the exception of two cracks in the rim where the original material has apparently shrunk and pulled apart. Question: Is there any advantage to buying one of the commercial "steering wheel restoration" kits versus filling the cracks with JB Weld or an equivalent product?

Thanks in advance for all input and advice

32Bee 09-02-2016 03:42 PM

Re: Steering Wheel Repair

PC7 is a single stage (two part) filler that is best IMO for steering wheel repair.
Unlike fiberglass products, it doesn't set immediately so there's plenty of time to
shape your repaired area. Let it dry over night and sand to finish contour. When
I saved my 32 wheel I sealed the whole wheel, after repairs, with PPG epoxy
primer then painted the whole wheel with a flattened out black enamel. Came out
like a million bucks.

Good Luck,

Peter

adileo 09-02-2016 07:14 PM

I second pc7 I refurbished my 39 banjo steering wheel. I used a dremel tool to widen cracks then filled with pc7. Sanded to fine grit, primed, painted then clear coated. Came out great.

V12Bill 09-02-2016 07:33 PM

Don't use JB Weld to repair your steering wheel. I did and in 6 months the JB Weld shrank showing each repair.

luvmyclassics 09-02-2016 07:39 PM

I used pc7 and my steering wheel looks great. Widen the cracks with a dremel and fill with the putty.

-Big Al- 09-02-2016 07:50 PM

Use marine tex.
Al.

cmbrucew 09-02-2016 07:53 PM

Used JBWeld on two Ford wheels, one year on one and two on the other. Both doing well in So Cal.
Bruce

Lawson Cox 09-02-2016 08:35 PM

Repaired my 36 Banjo with PC 7 about 20 years ago, and it still looks great. Painted it gloss black alkyd enamel with a hardener.

v8fordman 09-02-2016 08:52 PM

I have used PC7 and Marinetex with excellent results from both. Never used JB Weld, but used fiberglass once and cracks reappeared . I use PC7 exclusively now. It is easy to sand and hasn't shrunk yet.

Dyna 09-03-2016 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My two cents. I did my steering wheel with a product called "Magic Sculpt". It is an epoxy putty used by sculptors and taxidermists. I bought mine from a taxidermy supplier. Can work with it wet and sets very hard. I had lots of cracks, big and small in my steering wheel. Was very happy with the results. I also used it to make bezels for the speedometer and clock and speaker hole cover of my dash.

Rand 09-03-2016 07:20 PM

Where do you guys buy your PC7?
Randy

adileo 09-03-2016 07:31 PM

I got pc7 at Ace hardware.

oldandtired 09-04-2016 05:22 AM

There is an excellent product named Dolphin Glaze. It comes with a hardener, will fill the cracks with no issues, does not shrink, is easy to sand, feathers well, and will take pretty much any primer or paint. It is made by U-Pol. You can use it on the steering wheel, metal to fill pits prior to priming, plastic, or wood. I have some cans of PC-7 sitting on the shelf never opened because after I bought them a friend with a body shop introduced me to Dolphin Glaze. I suspect PC-7 works just fine as well, but the Dolphin Glaze will set very quickly and is finishable very quickly.

37coop 09-04-2016 05:59 AM

The banjo wheel on my 39 coupe was bad including missing bits down to the wire and cracks everywhere,repaired it with JB weld around 12 years ago,a long laborious job but it still looks excellent,just started driving it after a looong restoration so I guess the test is using it,over the pond here I have never heard of the alternatives.
I painted it with etching primer,a couple of light coats of spray putty and color then clear (lacquer )

Henry/Kokomo 09-05-2016 09:10 AM

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I really appreciate the input.

JSeery 09-05-2016 09:30 AM

I have ordered PC-7 online (but then I order a lot of stuff online). :)