The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   59a Engine Failed Big Time. Crankshaft journals (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279458)

Phil Gillespie 04-14-2020 09:27 PM

59a Engine Failed Big Time. Crankshaft journals

2 Attachment(s)
Since engine failure have now stripped out all bits from block.
See attached pics of con rod journal surface at crank 1& 5. The radial groove appears to be in the casting and not the result of damage. Generally the c/shaft con rod surfaces were not good, 2& 6 had surface pitting, mains not bad but all really needed as grind. Con rod bearings rather worn and well out of max wear specs.
My question is would this groove as above be ok with a grind to bearing surface. Existing con rod bearings from here were similar to all the rest as removed, no noted irregular surface damage in way of this groove.

Attachment 427447

Attachment 427448

Top pic : 1 & 5 Lower pic: 2 & 6.
Phil NZ

alanwoodieman 04-14-2020 09:34 PM

Re: 59a Engine Failed Big Time. Crankshaft journals

does look like a bad casting from the factory. as an old mechanic told me just holds more oil

RalphM 04-14-2020 10:00 PM

I think Mart would just run it! :)

Ken/Alabama 04-15-2020 06:56 AM

I would have crank reground and run it. If that divot ran across the journal instead of around it I would probably not .

Phil Gillespie 04-15-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama (Post 1874595)
I would have crank reground and run it. If that divot ran across the journal instead of around it I would probably not .

That was my thoughts also as the radial run of the divot has not affected bearings which were in use.
At least now after a measure up and surface inspection I now know the reason for very low oil pressure. Excessive clearance at all bottom end bearings.
Pins on average worn 3 to 4 undersized along with worn bearings.
Phil NZ

Lawrie 04-15-2020 05:16 PM

Phil shame you aren,t close to me, I have a pile of cranks and you could have one free.
Lawrie

Phil Gillespie 04-15-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrie (Post 1874916)
Phil shame you aren,t close to me, I have a pile of cranks and you could have one free.
Lawrie

Appreciate your kind offer Lawrie. This will be a "spare crank" as original engine from 46 Merc is awaiting grinding etc at local Engine Builder. Once this virus lot has settled. It is also a 59a block and will go out to 3 5/16.
Phil NZ

FritzJr 04-15-2020 10:16 PM

Since the groove is circumferential it will be OK to regrind and use. The bearing load capability will be reduced slightly (when the load is directed on that area) but not by enough to worry about.