The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Early Ford Radio's (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228082)

[email protected] 08-31-2017 11:41 AM

Early Ford Radio's

3 Attachment(s)
I have what looks like a 35/36 Ford Radio box and controller unit, in decent shape, operation condition unknown but looks complete inside. Trying to verify the year and also any suggested or estimated value as is. Picture attached.

Anyone know who is good at restoring these and approx. cost?

Also have a Motorola 60 (I'm told its an aftermarket generic version) , with a steering column clamp type that I was going to have restored and put on my 32 for fun-need a speaker box though... Same questions-approx. value as is, what is general restoration cost and any referrals on who can restore it is welcome. Some have now an FM conversion I am hearing-any experience with how those work?

Thanks folks!

CaliforniaBorn36 09-01-2017 11:29 AM

Re: Early Ford Radio's

If there is an on/off switch on the box it is 35. If it is powered on via the volume knob it is 36. I am sure some of the 35/36 experts can add much more detail.

mrtexas 09-01-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 1520873)
I have what looks like a 35/36 Ford Radio box and controller unit, in decent shape, operation condition unknown but looks complete inside. Trying to verify the year and also any suggested or estimated value as is. Picture attached.

Anyone know who is good at restoring these and approx. cost?

Also have a Motorola 60 (I'm told its an aftermarket generic version) , with a steering column clamp type that I was going to have restored and put on my 32 for fun-need a speaker box though... Same questions-approx. value as is, what is general restoration cost and any referrals on who can restore it is welcome. Some have now an FM conversion I am hearing-any experience with how those work?

Thanks folks!

Many available restored for less than the cost to restore. I'll sell you one new caps/tubes/electric vibrator for $200, no head. yours worth maybe $100.

40cpe 09-01-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 1520873)
Some have now an FM conversion I am hearing-any experience with how those work?

Thanks folks!

I have a '55 converted to 12v/FM/IPod connection. I don't know if it is typical or who did it, but the tuner is finiky and hard to find a station. Suits me fine, though, 'cause I never listen to it anyway.

Don Rogers 09-01-2017 03:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
You have what appears to be a 36 radio box. This box could have a remote speaker for enclosed cars as shown below, or an integral speaker for open cars/trucks.(Also shown below) Your control head should have an integral switch and the back should look like the photo below.

Paul Bennett 09-01-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40cpe (Post 1521385)
I have a '55 converted to 12v/FM/IPod connection. I don't know if it is typical or who did it, but the tuner is finiky and hard to find a station. Suits me fine, though, 'cause I never listen to it anyway.

I like the features of these reconstituted radios but when I see what they strip out those tubes and install the guts stripped from a RadioShack radio which I wouldn't buy in the first place. If they took a quality Sony radio for inclusion I would jump at it for $500.

So I'm for tossing a Sony portable in the glove box for those rare occasions when I need news or weather.

cas3 09-01-2017 06:53 PM

i think these aurora conversions are the best out there, not cheap, but not chinese junk either http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Des...tive_Home.html

rotorwrench 09-02-2017 08:56 AM

The radio sets can be restored to OEM specs then use an MP3 player to push music through the original amp via the antenna connection. "Upgrading" them to a tiny little pack of electonics placed in a big empty container just seems wrong to me. A lot of folks just have to have the modern with their antique. I prefer the simplicity of the antique but that's just my opinion. It's a free country.