The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seat backrest springs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234101)

1930.68B 11-27-2017 10:13 AM

Seat backrest springs

1 Attachment(s)
We are restoring a 1930 Cabriolet with a screw type adjustable seat. Synder's list the backrest springs as 68B (S-306) and 68C (S-306-L). Some early 1930 Cabriolets had a fixed seat that carried over 1929 that is not listed in any of the parts catalogs for a 1930.
Am I correct in assuming that Synder's destination between 68B and 68C is the difference between a screw type and ratchet type adjustable seat?
The height of our seat frame is 24" (photo attached). Is the dimension different on the ratchet type seat? Lebaron Bonney request this dimension on their form for upholstery.

BILL WILLIAMSON 11-27-2017 10:20 AM

Re: Seat backrest springs

All I know is that it takes FOREVER, with the screw type adjuster, to move the seat an inch, or so----THEN, you discover that you turned it the WRONG way!----"Maybe" a Power Seat is in order???
Bill Tired

duke36 11-27-2017 02:44 PM

The ratchet type wasn't supposedly offered until July '31 allowing the seat to be moved with the driver on it. The screw type seat mechanism was the same as the coupe. We had a coupe and spt. coupe with the screw mechanism and found it easy to use when installed and lubed properly. The ratchet mechanism also can bind especially if the seat tracks don't slide easily . If you can identify your date of manuf. either by frame or engine number, you'll be in the ballpark. Le Baron also may have the correct springs based on your seat frame dimensions and photos you provide.

1930.68B 11-27-2017 05:50 PM

Our frame number indicates the car was built in late Jan or early Feb 1930. It had a fixed seat when my Dad bought the car around 1958. I'm pretty sure the screw type seat that will be in the car came from a Coupe, year?.
The seat springs we have for the cushion is S-305 and the backrest springs are S-306 (Synder's part nos.) These are the same part numbers for a 1930-31 Coupe and Cabriolet.
We are concerned about how to order the upholstery because LeB-B doesn't make a distinction between screw type or ratchet type seat. They want to know the height of the seat frame at the location in the photo. Is that just another way to tell the difference between the types of adjustable seats?
In our upholstery order, should we include the spring part numbers to keep from getting the wrong seat covers?
Thanks

1931 flamingo 11-27-2017 06:01 PM

Why not give L-B a call??
Paul in CT

duke36 11-27-2017 08:31 PM

It seems like you already have the springs so send photos and complete dimensions of those and the seat frame to Le Baron. My memory serves that both type seat mechanisms attach to the wood bottom frame piece irrespective of the upholstery , so with your build date, it appears the screw type would work. The 2 types of adjusters are sold by Le BAron so check out their catalogue.
I've ordered custom springs made to order from Snyders for another car make based on my provided dimensions and paper patterns and they were perfect.They may make the ones for Le Baron but not sure.
Forgot to mention that Le Baron makes all their covers, etc. to order so they like to have dimensions in case they may deviate from the stock patterns in their inventory. This was our experience especially with sedan headliners.
The Ford Model A book by De Angeles, et al. , says the screw adjuster is the same for the '30 cab's and the coupes. Factory photos are in that book.

Dick Carne 11-27-2017 11:34 PM

I took a quick measurement of the distance from the top of the rear seat frame to what I think was the floor of the rumble seat floor area on my 68C (I ran a metal tape measure from the back of the seat frame to what felt like the floor, but I was by myself and not able to confirm that the tape did in fact make full contact with the floor). That height was roughly twenty-eight-and-a-half inches tall from that position. By contrast, I also took a rough measurement from the top of the metal seat back on my '29 Briggs Town Sedan, to the outer floor sill, and that measurement was roughly 22 inches from the seat frame/back, and almost 25 inches to the top of the seat spring. My Cabriolet has the ratchet seat adjustment, the Town Sedan has the screw adjuster. I don't know if this will help, but hopefully it may shed some light on that portion of your question concerning the difference in seat heights between the ratchet style seat frame used on the 68C, and perhaps earlier screw type seat frames. I hope that this will help. Good luck on your project.

Dick

1930.68B 11-28-2017 08:48 PM

I got a similar response today from another member of the Cabriolet Club. He wasn't sure if the tape at the correct location at the bottom but he also had a measurement of 28 1/2" to the top of the seat frame. I have also submitted the question to L B about how they determine which seat springs the upholstery should fit. Also ask if including the Synder's part number would help.
Thanks for your info

kimeccles 11-30-2017 04:09 PM

Why don't you get a fixed seat like it had originally?

I have a May 15, 1930 engine in a 1930 Cab that I believe was built late August/early Sept 1930 based on many original body features. My car actually also had the fixed seat originally, even though adjustable were offered as a new benefit in June 1930. So I believe fixed seats were common in early to mid 1930 well into August 1930 on these.

I would not want a late 1931 adjustable seat on my car if I wanted it to be original. I can reach the pedals OK so not a problem for me.

1930.68B 12-01-2017 09:32 AM

Kimeccles, you would have a heart attack if knew all parts I have used to get this car back on the road. At least it didn't get cut up for a street rod the way my brother wanted it. When we're done it will still be 98% 1930 Model A Ford.

kimeccles 12-06-2017 05:23 PM

1930 68B

LOL Trust me, I would be glad to compare horror stories with you or anyone on this Pandora's box of a gift from my dad that ran in the 1960's and was left alone for decades till I decided I would try to restore it as he would have liked that.

Engine block cracked between cylinders, head cracked, crank not usable, timing cover cracked, valve cover wrong type for the year and cracked, flywheel cover cracked, front motor mount wrong, all shocks wrong, all brake rods wrong and bent to go around wrong shocks, etc.

Yes probably it could even be effectively argued that my seat is not "right" either.

I have at least 25% failure rate with all suppliers as parts are not right and have a thousand $$ in useless "new" parts. Like the shock bolts that Brattons and Snyders sell are NOT the big heads for 1928-1931, but they send you 1932 to 1936 style in a bag that says 1928-1936. I have two unopened bags of these and still can't find the big head ones.

Please do not feel that I have scorned your effort to have a great car like this running. I sort of thought a fixed seat part was easier to fix, and since I am doing that, seemed like worth mentioning. I will also be trying for about 98% so am in full agreement that you sometimes have to just deal with what can be done at the time. Mine is still not running, but getting closer.

best of luck, I could spend hours talking about how hard it was to get my windshield put back together and chromed.

1930.68B 12-06-2017 08:37 PM

I'm sure there are several horror stories out there about problems with suppliers. My worst one was from Cubel's Ford Wood. We ordered a complete wood kit for a 1930 Cabriolet. We received the wood kit for a 1931 68C and didn't realize it until after we had already made some adjustments for the sub rails to fit into the cowl. The front cross sill and sub rails aren't compatible with the fixed seat base that is suppose to fit a Coupe or Cabriolet.

I don't think the seat base we bought would even fit the 1930 wood kit without some serious sheet metal work. Yes, that seat base for Coupe is for sell along with the original back rest riser that was in the Cabriolet.

The adjustable seat may not be necessary. I'm 5' 7" (and shrinking) and our son is 6' 3", so we decided to give our selves an option for comfort.

kimeccles 12-08-2017 01:51 PM

I also just ordered Snyder's seat springs s-305 and S-306. I hope they work for my fixed seat as well. I am keeping my wood frames that I know fit to mount them on.

I hope these sp0rings fit both of our cars, but things seem to be tricky.

1930.68B 12-08-2017 09:26 PM

From the information I've been able to find, I think the fixed seat in a 1930 Cabriolet and Coupe are a carry over from 1928-29. That would be Synder's part numbers S-301 and S-302.