The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dip Stick (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289265)

chkolar 10-26-2020 05:58 PM

Dip Stick

I am new to Model T's, 81 years old and it is tough to get down to check oil level. Is it worth getting the dip stick kit to check oil from under the hood? Have only had Model A;s for the last 60 years.

39portlander 10-26-2020 06:17 PM

Re: Dip Stick

Welcome to the T, @ 57 I get the local or the grand kids to do that. @ 81 get the great grand kids.:D That will keep'm occupied and learning.

It might be easier to pop out the floor boards, those petcocks will be right below the passenger side.

J Franklin 10-26-2020 09:06 PM

Get the kit and save your knees & Back.

dropacent 10-27-2020 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We make the Rajo style accessory oil level indicator. With this easy install, you will never have to get out and get under again. ( the Rajo trademark is owned by Kenneth Chaffin and Chaffin’s garage , used with their permission. )

29spcoupe 10-27-2020 07:26 AM

I have a dipstick on both of my Fords. Worth every penny.

40 Deluxe 10-27-2020 09:41 AM

On the other hand, getting down and under every time you drive the car will help keep your body limber. "Use it or lose it"!

Robert/Texas 10-27-2020 10:57 AM

I'm 86 and use a tool similar to the one in the Snyder's catalog for $9.50. I put a pad down for my knees and don't need to crawl under the car.

redmodelt 10-27-2020 11:38 AM

Just working the pedals will give you a work out! :) I have known people younger that have installed the dip stick kit. The other option is the site glass. I personally don't know of anyone that has broke one and have used them for many years. Still have to get down but not under to look.

J Franklin 10-27-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropacent (Post 1945630)
We make the Rajo style accessory oil level indicator. With this easy install, you will never have to get out and get under again. ( the Rajo trademark is owned by Kenneth Chaffin and Chaffin’s garage , used with their permission. )

So tell us more.

39portlander 10-27-2020 06:22 PM

Great points and suggestions here but.... you still got to get under there and drain the sediment bowl, fill the various oilers and @ the least do a monthly MTFCA safety inspection.

@ 81 brother you have paid your dues, groom a local kid as an apprentice and sponsor him/her in the model T explorer youth club. It will be the best $15.00 you'll spend this year.

Mentors are the most important people in this hobby.

Kelly mt 10-27-2020 06:22 PM

I have a dip stick on one T and it's real handy. As to the sight glass, one of our members had a rock kick out from a front tire and broke his. We were 20 miles back in the sticks. McGiver would have been proud of that fix. It used up everyone's spare oil to get home.

39portlander 10-27-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly mt (Post 1945927)
I have a dip stick on one T and it's real handy. As to the sight glass, one of our members had a rock kick out from a front tire and broke his. We were 20 miles back in the sticks. McGiver would have been proud of that fix. It used up everyone's spare oil to get home.

But Mr. Kelly the sight glass goes after a lower petcock, that should be closed until inspection and ideally with an added T inline for draining if you go the sight glass route.

29spcoupe 10-28-2020 06:55 AM

The sight glass can get clogged with band lint and give false readings.

big job 10-28-2020 08:06 AM

Back in the day early 60s my fathers 1926 had a dipstick from its time. So easy to
make now with all common hardware. a street elbow on the lower pet cock think it was
1/8 pipe thread and 1/8 pipe which went thru the running board splash pan. Then a
common rod into the pipe with a knurled nut on the top. Now you would top off oil
just to drip from the top spigot now mark the dip stick as full. thats it all common
hardware no more bending over a common accessory back then.

A bones 10-28-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29spcoupe (Post 1946065)
The sight glass can get clogged with band lint and give false readings.

Exactly, I used one for a while. Now it lives in a box of miscellaneous souvenirs.

redmodelt 10-28-2020 01:21 PM

re plugging up, the centrifugal action of the flywheel pulls the oil out when running so should self clear, besides prudent owners will install a lint screen in the hogs head. More an issue would be plugged vent hole in the cap on the site gauge not allowing the oil back in. If you don't think the oil gets pulled out and have one installed, start the engine and see what happens.

dropacent 10-29-2020 12:51 PM

I’d rather exercise at other things than crawling under an old car. So many neat accessories over the life of the tin Lizzie, just to check the oil. It was desirable back in the day, just like today. The Rajo style we make is probably at the upper end $$ of reproduction gadgets, but we sell a lot of them and they are well received. Two out front for the postman today. Original accessory items similar to these are very pricy, many in the multiple hundreds of dollars.
The dipstick requires a hole drilled in the splash apron. The sight glass can plug, and I had one do that about ten years ago. I was on a tour, and kept adding oil, until I probably had 2 gallons in it.
As a shameless plug, if anyone is interested in ours, they are $165 ppd, all made in the USA as all our things are. I can share lots of photos of old ads , pictures of ours and easy install pics, too. [email protected] Thanks!

39portlander 10-29-2020 07:03 PM

Alright Mr. Morsher I'm sold, will send you an email and order in the a.m.

My Dad was from Racine and to this day we still enjoy the O & H kringle. If you don't know what that is fellas your missing out:D

dmdeaton 11-18-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39portlander (Post 1946719)
Alright Mr. Morsher I'm sold, will send you an email and order in the a.m.

My Dad was from Racine and to this day we still enjoy the O & H kringle. If you don't know what that is fellas your missing out:D

I have one of these from Tim. He makes all kind of neat stuff.

39portlander 11-18-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmdeaton (Post 1953670)
I have one of these from Tim. He makes all kind of neat stuff.

Yes sir, I also like the oil fill extender and will be ordering a restored universal logo tire psi gauge for my early shopping:D

There are a lot of talented "T" folks in the O-H-I-O state, Brent Mize and Douglas Dachenbach to name a few.