The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is this a correct horn for my 1923 model T? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187665)

36 conv sedan 01-24-2016 01:13 PM

Is this a correct horn for my 1923 model T?

2 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine tells me my horn might not be correct... but I want to ask the experts. It does look different to what Macs has on their catalog as a Model T electric horn, but I have seen some at ebay that would seem to indicate mine may be correct... so, can anybody tell me if what I have is correct or not and if not, what model should I be looking for?

My car is a late 1922 or early 1923 touring.

Thanks!
Victor

15max 01-24-2016 02:02 PM

Re: Is this a correct horn for my 1923 model T?

No. That is a motor driven horn. A battery buzz horn with a shorter back end would probably be what was furnished. Magneto horns were also used but earlier.

15max 01-24-2016 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the T horns. Battery left. Magneto right.

tmodelman 01-24-2016 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Correct battery horn for electric start Model 1923 Model T, a buzz horn. Makes a blat that sounds like a sad cow!

Horn body has Ford script.

Bracket mounts to head bolt and water inlet bolt.

36 conv sedan 01-25-2016 02:06 AM

Thanks! Now I know what to look for!

Victor

A bones 01-25-2016 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmodelman (Post 1229700)
Correct battery horn for electric start Model 1923 Model T, a buzz horn. Makes a blat that sounds like a sad cow!

Horn body has Ford script.

Bracket mounts to head bolt and water inlet bolt.

My '24 always makes the geese turn their heads.:)

redmodelt 01-25-2016 12:11 PM

No connection;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1453709860

36 conv sedan 01-25-2016 12:13 PM

Thanks for the lead, redmodelt! However my car has a battery therefore I need the electric horn. But I really appreciate your help,

Victor

36 conv sedan 09-12-2017 06:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Bringing up this old subject, I found a suitable horn, just as the one Tmodelmal posted in his pics, painted it and installed it in the car. It looks great, fits great in the correct bolts, but question here is sound: it makes a nice buzz (not sure if I would call it a sad cow, as he described), but not too loud. With the engine running I guess it will not be heard by many people around... I can almost barely hear it when I am driving and I buzz it. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Victor

28RPU 09-12-2017 06:43 PM

It looks like one that I bought which turned out to be a 12 volt horn.

longhaul 09-12-2017 10:03 PM

Curious to know how it sounded....

piewagon 09-14-2017 08:49 PM

I make reproduction Battery Horns for 1922-1927 Model T. The magneto horn started to appear on a few of the 1915 Model T but then was around for the entire production run through 1927 since the electric car with starter was an optional package. The electric car started in 1919 but the battery horn was not introduced until about March of 1922. Battery horn if adjusted properly should draw 5 amps DC and be fairly loud. The gap between the end of the plunger and the diaphragm should be set to 1/32" which is easy to set.. You just loosen the plunger lock nut and screw the plunger IN until a lite tap on the end of the plunger no longer delivers a "click" heard when it hits the diaphragm. Continue to screw the plunger IN to make it closer and eventually the click will go away because the plunger is touching it. Don't force this - you want the plunger to just barely contact the diaphragm and then back the plunger out 1 full turn since the thread on its plunger is a 10-32 thread and one turn = 1/32" advance or withdraw of the plunger. Once you have that spot then lock the locknut. Now fiddle with the point gap until you get 5 amps using 6V battery that is fully charged. Failure to achieve much sound or dim amounts can be a faulty horn winding or bad points but most often is because the diaphragm is full of rusted holes. I make new diaphragms out of stainless steel and use those on my horns but since all mechanical parts are made to factory drawings my diaphragm will fit your horn. Good luck with it

http://www.funprojects.com/products/6432.aspx

41panelmark 09-16-2017 01:02 PM

So what does the horn look like and where does it mount for a Magneto car 1918? I have a Battery horn on mine and would like to change it out for a Magneto one.

thanks.

41panelmark 09-16-2017 01:02 PM

So what does the horn look like and where does it mount for a Magneto car 1918? I have a Battery horn on mine and would like to change it out for a Magneto one.

thanks.

longhaul 09-18-2017 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 36 conv sedan (Post 1526407)
Bringing up this old subject, I found a suitable horn, just as the one Tmodelmal posted in his pics, painted it and installed it in the car. It looks great, fits great in the correct bolts, but question here is sound: it makes a nice buzz (not sure if I would call it a sad cow, as he described), but not too loud. With the engine running I guess it will not be heard by many people around... I can almost barely hear it when I am driving and I buzz it. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Victor

By the way is that your car Victor? Looks very neat and clean.

36 conv sedan 09-22-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piewagon (Post 1527371)
I make reproduction Battery Horns for 1922-1927 Model T. The magneto horn started to appear on a few of the 1915 Model T but then was around for the entire production run through 1927 since the electric car with starter was an optional package. The electric car started in 1919 but the battery horn was not introduced until about March of 1922. Battery horn if adjusted properly should draw 5 amps DC and be fairly loud. The gap between the end of the plunger and the diaphragm should be set to 1/32" which is easy to set.. You just loosen the plunger lock nut and screw the plunger IN until a lite tap on the end of the plunger no longer delivers a "click" heard when it hits the diaphragm. Continue to screw the plunger IN to make it closer and eventually the click will go away because the plunger is touching it. Don't force this - you want the plunger to just barely contact the diaphragm and then back the plunger out 1 full turn since the thread on its plunger is a 10-32 thread and one turn = 1/32" advance or withdraw of the plunger. Once you have that spot then lock the locknut. Now fiddle with the point gap until you get 5 amps using 6V battery that is fully charged. Failure to achieve much sound or dim amounts can be a faulty horn winding or bad points but most often is because the diaphragm is full of rusted holes. I make new diaphragms out of stainless steel and use those on my horns but since all mechanical parts are made to factory drawings my diaphragm will fit your horn. Good luck with it

http://www.funprojects.com/products/6432.aspx

Hey, Piewagon!

This is the best explanation I could have ever hoped for! Sorry I thanked you till now but I hadn't been able to get into the forum.

I will print and try the procedure this weekend... and if I my diaphragm needs replacement, I will sure contact you. Your page shows you make fantastic products, congratulations!

victor

36 conv sedan 09-22-2017 06:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by longhaul (Post 1528595)
By the way is that your car Victor? Looks very neat and clean.

Yes, that is my car. It looks decent but it is not fully correct. It has a much nicer top that what they originally used (I got it this way already) and uphostery is a bit off also... pleats are too pronounced. Background is an acueduct we have here in Queretaro, Mexico. Here is the car with an antique factory now turned into a school...

And two additional shots of the engine compartment with the horn in place.

Royce P 10-09-2017 08:10 AM

Mark, the Magneto horn mounts as shown in this photo in 1917 - 18 on the firewall.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1...lsize/horn.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41panelmark (Post 1527971)

thanks.

41panelmark 10-14-2017 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Royce, I have a battery horn that mounts like that and today I picked up a Mag horn that looks like the 2nd photo. That horn has Ford script on it and only one terminal. If not for 17/18 what year do you think it was for?

Royce P 10-14-2017 04:28 PM

The ones that mount on the firewall need two terminals since the wooden firewalls don't offer a ground. I don't know what year they started mounting MAG horns to the engine but that horn must be intended to mount to the engine. I am guessing 1922 or later.

That horn will work on a 1917 of course, you just need to add a ground wire someplace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41panelmark (Post 1539322)
Royce, I have a battery horn that mounts like that and today I picked up a Mag horn that looks like the 2nd photo. That horn has Ford script on it and only one terminal. If not for 17/18 what year do you think it was for?