The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A's and Woodstock... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267880)

Steve Plucker 08-14-2019 07:37 AM

Model A's and Woodstock...

Did anybody take their Model A to the Woodstock Music Festival 50 years ago?

Pluck

Ray in La Mesa 08-14-2019 08:42 AM

Re: Model A's and Woodstock...

Was in the army in Germany, didn't even know it was happening.

rotorwrench 08-14-2019 08:46 AM

I remember seeing model As for sale in relatively decent condition for $250 in that time frame (summer 1969)but they were getting harder to find in good condition. Hippie type kids wanted a VW bus but most kids bought the cheapest car they could afford and parts for model As were something you found in JC Whitney or Hemmings. I don't remember seeing any in the movie that was made but I wouldn't be surprised if a few showed up.

I remember guys coming back from Vietnam were buying brand new muscle cars with the back pay they had accrued.

Badpuppy 08-14-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa (Post 1787884)
Was in the army in Germany, didn't even know it was happening.

Same here; AF in NL. Totally clueless.

Bruce of MN 08-14-2019 05:33 PM

I was a college boy at home in Indianapolis and wasn't aware of it. Just about everyone that I have met who was really there said the conditions were awful.

keyswitch1 08-14-2019 06:12 PM

Sorry but the air force said they wanted me for four years. The best part was that I bought my first model A when in the service!

F.M. 08-14-2019 08:02 PM

Still in Da Nang for the 3rd time, But had my 1928 at home in Rhode Island waiting for me..Still have it..

daren007 08-14-2019 09:39 PM

Spent the time in the Jungles of Vietnam. Never heard about it until I returned to the states. I did however buy a 30 Tudor that was waiting for me when I got out.

mhsprecher 08-14-2019 10:03 PM

I had one during that time period. Didn't go to Woodstock, but had heard about it beforehand. Didn't think seriously about going. I was working.

Brad in Germany 08-15-2019 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was cruising around on my tricycle at that time and have no recollection of Woodstock......except for this groovy model kit which I enjoyed building with my mother (my first Model A):
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1565847443
Brad in Maryland

TerryH 08-15-2019 12:51 AM

I had already sold my first Model A, a 1930 Coupe, and joined the AF for a 4 year stint by then......I was in Alaska....far, far away.....

jthomas6 08-15-2019 06:28 AM

Nope, stuck on mountain top in Alaska doing radar maintenance for the Air Force. :(

WHN 08-15-2019 07:37 AM

I was in the Navy at Littlecreek, Virginia. I new about the festival, but we were getting ready to make a MED Cruise. Staff COMPHIBRON Two.

USS Francis Marion LPA249.

I had already sold my first Model A, a 1931 Sport Coupe by than. Great memories. Enjoy.

Joe K 08-15-2019 08:40 AM

They say if you can remember Woodstock - you obviously were not there.

Joe K

KGBnut 08-15-2019 08:56 AM

I was four... I did have a Model A buddy that was there. Unfortunately, we lost him about a year and a half ago...and he never told me that story. I found out he was there at his funeral.

Also, reading this, I find it interesting to see then number of veterans are here. Greetings to all you vets, especially my fellow Air Force vets.

Ken

WHN 08-15-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGBnut (Post 1788218)
I was four... I did have a Model A buddy that was there. Unfortunately, we lost him about a year and a half ago...and he never told me that story. I found out he was there at his funeral.

Also, reading this, I find it interesting to see then number of veterans are here. Greetings to all you vets, especially my fellow Air Force vets.

Ken

Haze Gray and Underway!

It was a different time back in the 60’s. I would bet our fathers and grandfathers would say the same-thing about their younger years.

Young guys today don’t know how good they have it. “Remember the draft”.

We have our Model A’s and memories of back than. Enjoy.

And to all the veterans. Thank you for your service.

Chuck Dempsey 08-15-2019 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the lineup, for everyone who missed it.....

Patrick L. 08-15-2019 04:02 PM

I too was on a government paid vacation in scenic southeast Asia and the '63 426 belvedere was in storage.

The 50 yr reunion of Watkins Glen fell thru for some strange reason, but, there will be quite a few folks spending time at Max's old farm this weekend. The party has already started. It would be nice to see some 'A's' there.

Benson 08-15-2019 04:49 PM

My "Southeast Asian Tet Offensive vacation" was Jan 26th, 1968 to Jan 27th, 1969.

The reason that I know the exact return date is that we landed at Ft Lewis, WA in the middle of the record Jan 27th blizzard.

Was at Ft Monmouth, NJ for Woodstock.

My buddy Dave took his Red 69 Mustang Mach I up there for the weekend. My 29 Sport Coupe stayed in Denver.

He did not remember very much detail about what happened there but ...

He was very sure that he had a lot of fun!

d. 08-15-2019 05:12 PM

In January 1967 I drove my '30 roadster to the Human Be-In in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. I lived 40 miles south down the SF peninsula and had to get on the newly opened section of 280 (where Bullit was filmed).
I parked on the shoulder of the road near the polo fields...many cars got a ticket, I did not.