The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   just curious (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265178)

1930artdeco 06-20-2019 05:32 PM

just curious

The GF and I are starting to plan a month long trip down Route 66. TO that end I will be pulling the whole power train so that it can be freshened up/rebuilt. This is what I plan on doing after I save up a bout load of money:

-Engine built up by Skokie for touring (5.5 head, Lg intake, Model B carb and Stipe cam)
-Tranny freshened up since it is almost 90
-Install a Mitchell
-Read end refresh (which is where my question comes in)

I have a Townsedan with a stock 3.78 rear gears and was wondering if a set of 3.50's might be a little better for her on todays roads. She revs a little faster since I had 15 lbs. shaved off so not sure if this will help with that or not. I just don't want to lose to much power since she is a heavy car. Just thinking out loud here.....

Thanks,

Mike

TerryH 06-20-2019 06:21 PM

Re: just curious

It seems to me that most of the Model A owner’s I know or have heard with a Mitchell, in the standard 26% configuration, prefer the stock 3.78 rear end. The Town Sedan is the heaviest Model A, so going to a higher ratio might not pull as well into the wind or up slight grades. With a Mitchell my Town Sedan feels very comfortable at 60, with some running at 65.....I don’t feel a need to go any faster than that with stock brakes and tires.

CWPASADENA 06-20-2019 06:43 PM

I agree with TerryH!!!

Chris W.

1930artdeco 06-21-2019 10:19 AM

OK, just spit balling.

Mike

BRENT in 10-uh-C 06-21-2019 01:03 PM

Mike, personally I think my recommendations are gonna go against the grain of what others here are going to suggest, but IMO you first need to decide whether the intent is to get there as fast as you can, -or take one extra day and travel at a slower pace to see the sights.

Now this is where this is going to get controversial, but I am going to suggest a different combination for these type trips. I would go with a babbitted engine instead of an inserted engine for the main reason that should you encounter a bearing issue on the road at some point, a babbitted engine can be limped a long way, and then it can generally be repaired in a hotel parking lot by adjusting shims. When you hear a loose bearing on an insert engine, you need to find a way to transport it home.

My suggestion is for you to consider a package very closely aligned with stock Model-A parts. My reasoning is that in almost every town across the country you can find someone who owns a Model-A that has some parts that they can sell/loan you to get yourself home. Personally, I would go with a babbitted bottom end, a 6.0 CR cylinder head, an IB330 camshaft, and O/S intake valves. Have whomever rebuilds it to blueprint the engine to exacting standards with the clearances including tappet bores, piston bores, guides, etc. The same detail needs to be spent on balancing all of the reciprocating items. An engine with properly poured babbitt and proper clearances will go 50k miles very reliably.

Since we are spec-ing out stuff, use a stock-type ignition system and a rebuilt 6v generator for electrical power. Install a new, quality-made reproduction wiring harness and purchase a rebuilt original Ammeter to install. If you are going to disassemble & check the transmission, then install new bearings if it is not making any peculiar noises now. For the rear end, just install a 3.54 Ring & Pinion and inspect the housings and restore if out of specs.

My point in saying all of the above is do NOT get sucked into believing you need all the modern electronic ignitions, overdrives, 16" wheels, fuel pumps, etc. to have a reliable touring car. With the babbitted engine which has been blueprinted by an engine rebuilder who knows how to do a good job, you will find your Fordor will effortlessly cruise all day at 55 mph without a problem HOWEVER here is what you need to think thru. If you take a 2,000 mile trip in your Sedan and average traveling at 42 mph instead of 50 mph, that slower speed only takes less than one day longer to make the entire trip (6 days instead of 5 days.) -and if that extra night of lodging costs you $150.00, it is still WAY cheaper than a Mitchell. Plus, when you average 42 mph, you can still easily cover over 325 miles in a day if you need to. My point is if you are looking to make a whirlwind trip, just go ahead and drive your modern vehicle. On the other hand, if you are wanting to slow your pace down and enjoy the scenery only found on the secondary roads, then don't waste money trying to make your car drive as fast as a modern vehicle or you will speed right on by that scenery and miss it all.

ryanheacox 06-21-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1769857)
Mike, personally I think my recommendations are gonna go against the grain of what others here are going to suggest, but IMO you first need to decide whether the intent is to get there as fast as you can, -or take one extra day and travel at a slower pace to see the sights.

Now this is where this is going to get controversial, but I am going to suggest a different combination for these type trips. I would go with a babbitted engine instead of an inserted engine for the main reason that should you encounter a bearing issue on the road at some point, a babbitted engine can be limped a long way, and then it can generally be repaired in a hotel parking lot by adjusting shims. When you hear a loose bearing on an insert engine, you need to find a way to transport it home.

My suggestion is for you to consider a package very closely aligned with stock Model-A parts. My reasoning is that in almost every town across the country you can find someone who owns a Model-A that has some parts that they can sell/loan you to get yourself home. Personally, I would go with a babbitted bottom end, a 6.0 CR cylinder head, an IB330 camshaft, and O/S intake valves. Have whomever rebuilds it to blueprint the engine to exacting standards with the clearances including tappet bores, piston bores, guides, etc. The same detail needs to be spent on balancing all of the reciprocating items. An engine with properly poured babbitt and proper clearances will go 50k miles very reliably.

Since we are spec-ing out stuff, use a stock-type ignition system and a rebuilt 6v generator for electrical power. Install a new, quality-made reproduction wiring harness and purchase a rebuilt original Ammeter to install. If you are going to disassemble & check the transmission, then install new bearings if it is not making any peculiar noises now. For the rear end, just install a 3.54 Ring & Pinion and inspect the housings and restore if out of specs.

My point in saying all of the above is do NOT get sucked into believing you need all the modern electronic ignitions, overdrives, 16" wheels, fuel pumps, etc. to have a reliable touring car. With the babbitted engine which has been blueprinted by an engine rebuilder who knows how to do a good job, you will find your Fordor will effortlessly cruise all day at 55 mph without a problem HOWEVER here is what you need to think thru. If you take a 2,000 mile trip in your Sedan and average traveling at 42 mph instead of 50 mph, that slower speed only takes less than one day longer to make the entire trip (6 days instead of 5 days.) -and if that extra night of lodging costs you $150.00, it is still WAY cheaper than a Mitchell. Plus, when you average 42 mph, you can still easily cover over 325 miles in a day if you need to. My point is if you are looking to make a whirlwind trip, just go ahead and drive your modern vehicle. On the other hand, if you are wanting to slow your pace down and enjoy the scenery only found on the secondary roads, then don't waste money trying to make your car drive as fast as a modern vehicle or you will speed right on by that scenery and miss it all.

Agree 100%. People used to drive these cars bone stock cross-country, no reason you can't either. Or at least mostly stock like Brent suggests.

I'm planning to drive the length of the east cost in the next few years and my car has a 5.5 head and "touring" cam otherwise bone stock. Mapping out the trip with an average speed of 40MPH.

Brian SATX 06-21-2019 04:37 PM

Good points Brent.

Tom Wesenberg 06-23-2019 01:53 AM

I agree with Brent. Just because a car can go fast, doesn't mean you have to drive fast. I drove my longest Model A trip at speeds from 42 to 45 MPH, made a few stops for gas and antiques shops, and arrived relaxed. No need to drive at nail biting speeds. As Brent mentioned, the slower speed lets you see more, and at the end of the day, it takes very little extra time to cover the distance.

Synchro909 06-23-2019 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1770381)
I agree with Brent. Just because a car can go fast, doesn't mean you have to drive fast. I drove my longest Model A trip at speeds from 42 to 45 MPH, made a few stops for gas and antiques shops, and arrived relaxed. No need to drive at nail biting speeds. As Brent mentioned, the slower speed lets you see more, and at the end of the day, it takes very little extra time to cover the distance.

The hare and the tortiose!

1930artdeco 06-23-2019 07:52 AM

I totally agree as I tend to cruise around 50 until look down and notice the car doing 55��. Since I redid the engine she now wants to cruise at 55-60����. It is amazing what happens when one gets an engine that runs great finally. I am just trying to make this as easy on the engine as possible. And we will have a whole month (at least that is the plan) to bumble around and see the sights.

Mike

jhowes 06-23-2019 08:42 AM

I agree totally with Brent. Last summer my brother and I went from Daytona Beach to Vermont. You would be surprised how beautiful this country is when you travel at 50 mph and see the sites. We had a town sedan ( his ) mostly stock. If I wanted to get there faster I would have flown. Jack

Garagekulture13 06-29-2019 05:31 AM

I also plan my trips out but sometimes you can not avoid a highway with a stated speed of 55. Now that is stated. No one is running 55 but me and in short time it looks like I'm leading a parade route. I'm running a touring motor in a Tudor and still have people pushing me down the highway. I wish I had an overdrive if not just to get out of the way. Having to pull over and let 15 cars go by isn't the safest option. I don't think anyone with the ability to reach a higher speed is complaining. Just because you can with a Mitchell or new gears mean you have too but it would be nice if you could when you needed too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

30 Closed Cab PU 06-29-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garagekulture13 (Post 1772507)
I also plan my trips out but sometimes you can not avoid a highway with a stated speed of 55. Now that is stated. No one is running 55 but me and in short time it looks like I'm leading a parade route. I'm running a touring motor in a Tudor and still have people pushing me down the highway. I wish I had an overdrive if not just to get out of the way. Having to pull over and let 15 cars go by isn't the safest option. I don't think anyone with the ability to reach a higher speed is complaining. Just because you can with a Mitchell or new gears mean you have too but it would be nice if you could when you needed too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Great answer. I've never quite understood before the hyping of the Mitchell. But I can now understand the advantages if your into touring or in a situation where you can not avoid higher speed traffic.

Thanks.

Jim Brierley 06-30-2019 11:04 AM

I like your combo but would use a 4.11 rear ratio, and a 6:1 head. I do like babbitt and have been glad that's what I had, drove from Baker, CA to West Covina after tightening 1 rod. No damage to the crank. I also like point ignition and carry a spare set and condenser. Some upgrades are excellent, some are a waste of time and can be detrimental. Carry spare parts and a MAFCA roster, just in case.