The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nuts :) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237136)

adileo 01-13-2018 08:55 PM

Nuts :)

1 Attachment(s)
Please see pic. I had a front disc conversion done on my 39. Today I noticed that I can’t get the grease gun on the zert. I need to remove this nut in order to put a new 90 degree zert fitting on.

The dumb question is, I have heard of nuts which you can only tighten on once. Since the nut looks different, I figured I better ask. Can I remove this?

Brian 01-13-2018 09:01 PM

Re: Nuts :)

Andy, You are correct; that is a 'nyloc' nut, the ring of nylon locks the nut. They are a use once and discard deal.

adileo 01-13-2018 09:06 PM

Ok thanks where can I get a replacement as both sides need to be removed. So I can grease.

V8COOPMAN 01-13-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adileo (Post 1578854)
Ok thanks where can I get a replacement as both sides need to be removed. So I can grease.

That's a relatively common nut. It does not need to be GRADE 8 or anything like that. Wouldn't surprise me if you could find one at Lowe's or Home Depot. Can you not screw-out the Zerk and thread-in a 90 without removing that nut? DD

adileo 01-13-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1578863)
That's a relatively common nut. It does not need to be GRADE 8 or anything like that. Wouldn't surprise me if you could find one at Lowe's or Home Depot. Can you not screw-out the Zerk and thread-in a 90 without removing that nut? DD

Thanks, I can unscrew old one but the 90 won’t get by that nut.

Bubsyouruncle 01-13-2018 09:32 PM

Or a 45.

paul2748 01-13-2018 09:47 PM

Those nuts should be available in any hardware store. I've taken nuts like these (NYLOCKS) off and then reused them without any problems.

tubman 01-13-2018 09:52 PM

Ooops! I've been re-using them for years. Mainly on Mercruiser stern drives where they specify new nuts each time. If they look good, I re-use 'em. Never had a problem, and I've replaced a lot of Alpha-1 water pumps. They also say you're supposed to get them from your local dealer as well.

transbytip 01-13-2018 10:19 PM

Looks like you could use a needle point grease fitting to grease without taking the nut off, can get the fitting at Tractor supply Cliff.

51 MERC-CT 01-13-2018 10:45 PM

If you are worried about re-using them, put a drop of Locktite on them.

fordor41 01-13-2018 10:54 PM

looks like the caliper mount hould be clock around so the mount is behind the king pin, if I'm looking at the pic correctly. My '41 is basically the same axle and my caliper mount is behind the axle leaving the grease fitting exposed.

expavr 01-13-2018 11:12 PM

“Nuts are designed to wear faster than bolts. For self locking nuts, it is acceptable to reuse them as long as there is still some locking action. ... Because the nut insert hole is smaller than the bolt it creates so much friction between all of the threads that are in contact that the nut cannot vibrate loose.” Taken from a tech article on self locking nuts - the do’s and dont’s.

Our company has used nyloc type nuts of all sizes since they first appeared as a replacement for the nut/lock washer combo. We would have spent a lot more money on hardware had we not reused them. They aren’t cheap. I can’t say how many times they can be reused before the interference ring at the end of the nut no longer locks itself into the threads on the bolt/stud, but since you’re only doing it once you should be OK. JMO.

Granny 01-13-2018 11:35 PM

You can reuse the nut, you will know when the nut is not to be used again when you can thread it all the way buy hand this is what I found while working in the aviation industry for nearly 50 years. So you will be safe to use it for more than a couple of times. Granny

Drbrown 01-14-2018 01:32 AM

Our regional franchise of Ace Hardware stores has a hugh selection of small-piece hardware .... metric, US, split lock washer, exterior and interior serrated lock washers, bolts/nuts/etc in galvanized, chrome, nylon, high strength, cotter pins, springs .... its like Christmas in there !

Your Zerk problem reminds me of my recent replacement of a half-axle on our family car. Had to disconnect the upper ball-joint. Could only remove the nut with an open-end wrench.
When reattaching the ball joint, the Manual wants 60 psi on nut. No room for a socket. Like some say ... would like to meet the guy that engineered that. Now someone will tell me there is a special torque wrench for that.

adileo 01-14-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transbytip (Post 1578887)
Looks like you could use a needle point grease fitting to grease without taking the nut off, can get the fitting at Tractor supply Cliff.

All thanks for the good input, I learned a lot, as I normally do on the barn.

I saw the needle point at advance auto when I got the new zert.

I would like to learn more as with this (if it works) I can maintain existing zerks.

big job 01-14-2018 08:15 AM

You may want to try Napa for a grease gun adaptor. I don't know the teck name for this
but its used for a zerk that is 'trapped' by something like your nut. Instead of the nozzel going straight on the zerk, this goes on the zerk side ways, pretty slick. I got this same
deal on my backhoe absoultly no way like the zerk "grew in there" no way until I came
upon this on the napa grease gun stuff on the wall cheap it saved the day and its small.

BillLee/Chandler, TX 01-14-2018 08:26 AM

After you take the nut off the first time, install the 90 or 45 zerk. Shouldn't have to ever take the nut off a second time.

Kurt in NJ 01-14-2018 09:59 AM

To me it looks like the bolt isn't long enough , the threads don't protrude enough through the nylock fully, perhaps you can reverse the bolt-nut, hhavbe the head of the bolt there ---or just use needle adapter for grease gun

adileo 01-14-2018 10:27 AM

Are these needle adapters any good? It doesn’t look like it would allow for the high pressure of a hand grease gun with a normal zerk.

RalphM 01-14-2018 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This would work better than a needle in that situation.

PS; I never liked those plastic nuts for anything more than lawn furniture. I would never use them on a car, much less on brakes! ��