The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pcd (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239359)

René W 02-17-2018 01:21 PM

Pcd

Can someone tell me the pcd on a 19inch wheel '30 model a ?
Need to make an adaptor for a trailer project
Thanks

1931 flamingo 02-17-2018 01:34 PM

Re: Pcd

pcd ??

Charlie Stephens 02-17-2018 01:47 PM

I may be off here but I think you are looking for the bolt pattern (pcd?). It is 5 bolts on a 5 1/2 circle. There is however another problem. The mounting surface is at two levels, see https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...=1#post1286293

Charlie Stephens

redmodelt 02-17-2018 04:44 PM

In addition, the wheel carrier is not mounted to the frame, it is body mount. While this might have worked back in the day, there is no way that I would want to hook a trailer up that way today.

Synchro909 02-17-2018 04:58 PM

I'm with REDMODELT. I have fitted a towbar to one of my As by using the bumper mounts. That worked well but I'd never ever ever try mounting any towing attachment to the spare wheel mount.
Oh, by the way, PCD is "Pitch Circle Diameter". Someone said that the 5 studs are on a 5 1/2" circle. In that case, the PCD is 5 1/2".

zzlegend 02-17-2018 08:20 PM

Wonder what ever happen to "what is the wheel bolt pattern on a Model A ford" ?

Dick Steinkamp 02-17-2018 09:25 PM

PCD=Pitch Circle Diameter. As Charlie says, for a Model A it's 5 1/2"

SeaSlugs 02-17-2018 11:04 PM

At least here in the states there are a ton of cars/trucks that used the 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern.

I too say you should make a seperate bar connected directly to the frame to tow with

1930-Pickup 02-18-2018 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1594320)
In addition, the wheel carrier is not mounted to the frame, it is body mount. While this might have worked back in the day, there is no way that I would want to hook a trailer up that way today.

Huh? I didn't see Rene say anything about attaching a trailer to the spare tire carrier. Am I missing something here?

CarlG 02-18-2018 02:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For a trailer hitch, I bought one of these from Wagner Products. Bolts right on to the rear bumper supports.

René W 02-18-2018 03:49 AM

Thanks all,i already have a trailer hitch/tow bar attached to the bumper mounts,and i tow a modern trailer with the A.
Now i want to build a matching trailer,i have bought a trailer frame with axle.
This trailer has a brake system i want to use,but the brake drums are 4 bolt pattern so i need to make a spacer from 4 bolt to 5 bolt so i can nuse the model A wheels,thats all.
Greetinfn from a freezing Amsterdam,René

SeaSlugs 02-18-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by René W (Post 1594510)
Thanks all,i already have a trailer hitch/tow bar attached to the bumper mounts,and i tow a modern trailer with the A.
Now i want to build a matching trailer,i have bought a trailer frame with axle.
This trailer has a brake system i want to use,but the brake drums are 4 bolt pattern so i need to make a spacer from 4 bolt to 5 bolt so i can nuse the model A wheels,thats all.
Greetinfn from a freezing Amsterdam,René

http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/5-B...xle_p_288.html

René W 02-18-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1594681)

Nice,but don't need it As i have a complete chassis with brakes i only need to make a spacer plate from 4 to 5 bolt and job is done.I can make this myself on the lathe and mill and only heve to buy 2 steel plates,,,,costs 20 bucks...

CarlG 02-19-2018 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have somewhat the same problem with a trailer I bought. I am going to put Model A wheels & tires on it that match my pickup. Fortunately, the spindles on the trailer will accept Model A hubs, so my plan is to just switch the hubs out. I have already located one hub, just need to get the other one & do the work.

René W 02-19-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1595166)
I have somewhat the same problem with a trailer I bought. I am going to put Model A wheels & tires on it that match my pickup. Fortunately, the spindles on the trailer will accept Model A hubs, so my plan is to just switch the hubs out. I have already located one hub, just need to get the other one & do the work.

That should be easy then.
By the look of it your trailer has no brakes and that will make it easier to find a hub that fits.
I have already a trailer with no brakes and it is no problem pulling it with the A loaded with 2 veteran motorcycles,tent,camping gear in the trailer,wife 2 dogs and me inside the A..........but stopping is another ballgame.
As i live in a crowded area of Holland sometimes you need good brakes to avoid them idiots in their BMW's and Mercedeses who think they own the road,so that's the reason i want a trailer with brakes,just for safety reasons.
The frame i bought is a former folding camper trailer,can be loaded to 750 kilo and that is enough for me,with that weight there is no need for registration or tax and you can build your own model,model A that is.....

SeaSlugs 02-19-2018 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by René W (Post 1595253)
That should be easy then.
By the look of it your trailer has no brakes and that will make it easier to find a hub that fits.
I have already a trailer with no brakes and it is no problem pulling it with the A loaded with 2 veteran motorcycles,tent,camping gear in the trailer,wife 2 dogs and me inside the A..........but stopping is another ballgame.
As i live in a crowded area of Holland sometimes you need good brakes to avoid them idiots in their BMW's and Mercedeses who think they own the road,so that's the reason i want a trailer with brakes,just for safety reasons.
The frame i bought is a former folding camper trailer,can be loaded to 750 kilo and that is enough for me,with that weight there is no need for registration or tax and you can build your own model,model A that is.....

I think everyone is in full agreement trailer brakes deffinately cant hurt. Is it going to be electric brakes or surge brakes?

René W 02-20-2018 03:17 AM

Surge brakes it will be.

pooch 02-20-2018 03:23 AM

Fun another one I have never heard of.
I guess your surge brakes are over ride cable brakes to us .

pooch 02-20-2018 03:32 AM

And as regards PCD, I only learnt a few years ago to measure PCD on a 5 stud wheel, for a good ballpark figure, you measure from the outside of one stud across to the middle of the other farthest stud.

True PCD is centre to centre only on an even studded bolt pattern as in 4/ 6/ 8 etc.

I caught an old dude at a swap meet trying to say that his chev wheels were ford PCD and he measured centre to centre 5 stud and got 4 1/2 inch.

I took the time to explain to him how to measure it , and all I got was the dumbest stare ever.

René W 02-20-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooch (Post 1595448)
Fun another one I have never heard of.
I guess your surge brakes are over ride cable brakes to us .

Yes with cables,the neck of the trailer is two pieces,when you brake the pieces are sliding together and a lever operates the cables who operate the brakes.
About the five stud pcd....i know how to measure it:D