The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   gas gauge gaskets (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225666)

racingrufus 07-29-2017 04:24 PM

gas gauge gaskets

I would like some opinions on which gas gauge gaskets to use, cork or neoprene. I use E10 gas in my 29 a coupe.

old victoria 07-29-2017 04:29 PM

Re: gas gauge gaskets

cork

RawhideKid 07-29-2017 04:33 PM

Cork with 2 brass washers!

BTW, the 2 brass washers go together so when you tighten the nut, it does not bunch up the cork gasket.

redmodelt 07-29-2017 04:38 PM

What old victoria and RawhideKid said.

Big hammer 07-29-2017 04:50 PM

What everyone said !

KGBnut 07-29-2017 04:55 PM

I will say this, as much as I agree that cork is the way to go, I put in the neoprene gaskets about six years ago (before I knew better) and I have had no problems...so far.

I have a set of cork gaskets ready to go at the first sign of weeping...but if it doesn't weep I'm leaving it alone.

Ken

Licensed to kill 07-29-2017 05:22 PM

What about with diesel fuel, cork or neoprene?.

CarlG 07-29-2017 05:23 PM

Hint # 7453:

You can also use the above mentioned brass washers to augment the washer in a Quail Radiator Cap if it isn't sealing like it should. Just place it under the "rubber" washer, hold them in place with a dab of silicone sealant, and all your weeping quail problems will go away.

quickchange 07-29-2017 07:20 PM

C O R K maple syrup as gasket cement .

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-29-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickchange (Post 1506305)
C O R K maple syrup as gasket cement .

"SWEET" idea:D--Will Aunt Jemimas' Old Fashioned Syrup, made with Brown Sugar & Molasses, WORK?:confused:
Bill Kitchenhelp

racingrufus 07-29-2017 09:37 PM

Thanks to all for the replies. I will order the cork . Thanks to Carl for the tip on the Quail cap, I have one leaking. Dwayne

daveymc29 07-29-2017 09:45 PM

There are thick cork and thin cork gaskets in some supply houses. I have found the thin cork to work best for me.

jhowes 07-30-2017 08:06 AM

One last question on this. What do you use between the two brase gaskets for a lub or sealer? Do you need anything? Have to do mine soon. Jack

RawhideKid 07-30-2017 11:22 AM

Jack, the reason for the 2 brass washers is that they slide on each other to prevent the cork from moving/buckling. IF you feel you need to lubricate them, I would use something very light like hobby oil or 3-in One oil, and be very frugal, you don't want the lube on the cork.

I would say NO lube on the brass rings.

When to go to assemble this, check the orientation of the brass washers, try to place the stamped sides together.

If that doesn't make sense, let me explain. When the rings are made, the machine stamps the rings from one side and will slightly curl up one side of the ring on the side that was facing up in the stamping machine. Now, if you lay the ring down, then turn it over, you will see a slight raise on one of the edges, you can also feel this raise. This is the upper edge of the ring as stamped. So, now you take both rings, and orient them so the raised edge is away from the other ring and this will give you the smoothest surface of each together and decrease the friction while assembling, which will eliminate the need for a lubricant.

I just had another thought. If you really feel the need for a lubricant between the rings, baby powder would be better than an oil based lube.

What ever you do, DO NOT put anything on the cork gasket!!

Y-Blockhead 07-30-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawhideKid (Post 1506502)
Jack, the reason for the 2 brass washers is that they slide on each other to prevent the cork from moving/buckling.

Believe it or not when I took my gas gauge apart to repair a slight drip I found the cork gasket on TOP of the one brass ring so the nut was touching the gasket... :eek::eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1506233)
Hint # 7453:

You can also use the above mentioned brass washers to augment the washer in a Quail Radiator Cap if it isn't sealing like it should. Just place it under the "rubber" washer, hold them in place with a dab of silicone sealant, and all your weeping quail problems will go away.

I would assume Carl's Tip would work on all locking radiator caps... I don't have a brass ring handy to try it on my Motometer.

*** UPDATE - I found a brass ring and it does fit in my Locking Radiator cap with MotoMeter.

Mike V. Florida 07-30-2017 11:08 PM

Well, that was easy.