The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Clear Coat over Lacquer (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263703)

duke36 05-20-2019 10:46 PM

Clear Coat over Lacquer

Does anyone with actual working experience know of a clear coat that can be applied over some small areas of well cured and in good condition acrylic lacquer?
Some newer urethane clears are evidently not compatible according to some, but not all vendors.

holdover 05-20-2019 11:16 PM

Re: Clear Coat over Lacquer

years ago we sprayed several coats of clear acrylic lacquer over a lacquer base color mixed with metal flake to give the finish depth. As to working with a old well cured base, I'm not sure. If memory serves me you can spray Acrylic enamel over lacquer, but not the other way around so clear enamel should work, but I would talk to a auto finish supplier.

BillCNC 05-20-2019 11:39 PM

Enamel over Lacquer.

Regards
Bill

chrs1961815 05-21-2019 03:56 AM

Like it has been said, talk to an auto finish supplier. Years ago I did the same thing with a Camaro I had whose laquer paint was starting to show the inevitable spider cracks. So I clear coated over it and sold the car before it could come back!

BillCNC 05-21-2019 08:38 AM

Why not go over it with Clear Lacquer, ... It will melt right into what you have now, a perfect match. If you use Clear Lacquer you'll probably be able to spot paint it instead of doing the whole panel if that's what your looking for

Regards
Bill

duke36 05-21-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 1759787)
Why not go over it with Clear Lacquer, ... It will melt right into what you have now, a perfect match. If you use Clear Lacquer you'll probably be able to spot paint it instead of doing the whole panel if that's what your looking for

Regards
Bill

Lacquer not available due to VOC 's in many states. Some suppliers don't appear to know what won't melt or lift the lacquer.

BillCNC 05-21-2019 11:07 AM

I live in California and I am able to get lacquer from a paint shop in Arizona that deals with Classic car's. They would mix my color's and ship it to my house. I'll look for a can and post the info.

THE LAW in California.

If your a business and spray MORE than 50 gal a year, ... you cannot legally use lacquer UNLESS you get a statement from 3 paint mfg. stating they cannot mix that color in anything but lacquer. If your under 50 Gal, ... Spray Away.

Remember, ... Krylon is sold throughout the country WITHOUT LIMITATION other than age and it is a lacquer. The Green Engine paint we love and use, ... well guess what...

I ran prototype shops in California for 30 years and this is how one escapes the law.

BTW, ... If your spot painting clear, ... they sell Clear lacquer in a rattle can. It's all in the buffing when it comes to lacquer.

Regards
Bill

pooch 05-21-2019 06:41 PM

I have done several cars in lacquer colour then 2K cleared over.

No problems even years later.

As this is obviously not recommended by suppliers, my own judgment was to leave the lacquer for an hour to dry a bit before proceeding with 2K over in the usual way.

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-22-2019 11:24 AM

[B]I had a '46, Baby Blue Fast Back Chevrolet. Body & paint was PERFECT, BUT the paint was oxidized like Blue Chalk.
I scrubbed with T.S.P. & 0000 steel wool & sprayed it with clear Lacquer & was like a NEW PAINT JOB!!!
Bill Shiney