The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear spring and shackle bushing (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304588)

chrs1961815 10-01-2021 07:30 PM

Rear spring and shackle bushing

I tried putting new bushings in my rear spring leaf and the ones I bought from Snyders a few years ago are too loose. They measure 0.75 outer diameter when the hole is really closer to 0.765. I have this same issue with the shackles I bought from them a few years ago too.

I am now wondering who sells a bushing that actually is the right size? Maybe Snyders has retooled their bushings and shackles?

nkaminar 10-02-2021 06:30 AM

Re: Rear spring and shackle bushing

It may be the hole rather than the bushing. You can order a bushing to any size from McMaster Carr but they are expensive. Or find a local machine shop to make one to fit. Or you could epoxy it in with JB Weld but that would not be recommended by most mechanics.

I am hoping you will get a better response by some of the other members.

Try calling Snyders. They are usually very helpful.

chrs1961815 10-02-2021 07:13 AM

Yes I was thinking about calling Snyders. Something I forgot to mention was that the holes in the spring are perfectly okay - they aren't wallowed out or damaged in any way. Took a swing with McMaster Carr earlier but since this is such a special bushing I couldn't find anything.

jimvette59 10-02-2021 07:22 AM

I have used shim stock on some projects in the past. It can be purchased from Mc Master Carr or MSC on line. If they are out of round they should be reamed with a spiral reamer to the nearest size and a bushing should be purchased with the proper I D & O D. JMHO Jim T.
" If it was easy somebody else will be doing it "

Patrick L. 10-02-2021 12:14 PM

If you get them too tight they won't take grease.

J Franklin 10-02-2021 01:33 PM

Your spring might be aftermarket with a different size bushing.

DJ S 10-03-2021 10:32 AM

Deleted.

Jacksonlll 10-03-2021 06:11 PM

A tiny piece of shim stock. You just want to keep it from rotating.

Synchro909 10-04-2021 04:45 AM

With only 0.005" difference in diameter, you are looking at 0.0025" clearance all round. That is well within the capacity of just about any of the Loctite (or similar) products. The bushes will slip in with finger pressure and when the Loctite sets, that's it

chrs1961815 10-04-2021 04:53 AM

Thanks for the good ideas. I am going to call Brattons and see what size their bushings are. If all else fails, I'll either do the shim stock idea or loctite, or both.

nkaminar 10-04-2021 05:27 AM

If you use Loctite, use the one that is designed for setting bushings. I think that would be #638.

Patrick L. 10-04-2021 05:56 AM

Geez, maybe I'll catch up.

You're having problems with the bushings being sloppy in the spring eye !

If you have troubles getting the right size, you could try knurling them, or, prick punch them. [ 4 rows 90* apart]

chrs1961815 10-04-2021 09:52 AM

I ordered the shim stock and that is what I will try with some loctite. Couldn't source any other bushings that were the right size so this is the direction.

Something else worth mentioning is that this is for sure an original spring. Somebody just took a 10 leaf and pulled one leaf out of it. Bushing holes are not worn, the new bushings are just a little undersized.

Oldgearz 10-04-2021 10:18 AM

I just used Locktite bearing mount stick and the stuff really works well. Give it a try.

Pete 10-04-2021 08:25 PM

I never could figure out why people will spend hours figuring how to band aid Mickey Mouse fix something when it is so simple to fix right the first time.
As suggested before, since you have the measurements, find a machine shop that can make some 2 piece bushings from MOLY FILLED DELRIN. They should have a 1/16 thick flange on the outer ends.
THEY SHOULD BE A HAND PUSH FIT IN BOTH THE SPRING AND THE HANGER. SAME FOR THE PINS.
Use the shackle pins that are drilled for grease.
The nice thing about these is they never wear out if you keep them lubed.

ThosD 10-05-2021 01:40 PM

I bought aftermarket replacement front shackles and perches recently for my early '31 coupe. The provided bushings for the new parts have a nominal OD of 3/4 (0.750) inches. My stock stock spring eyes and perches are made for bushings with a nominal OD of 11/16 (0.6875). Snyder's gets it right with their bushing tool. What's with the after market vendors? Do they just make parts for the '32 fords?