The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dry rod bearings (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109002)

Johnnyj 06-13-2013 09:17 PM

Dry rod bearings

Recently ran a flathead v8 that I was told had been overhauled but never ran in over 20 years. On first run the engine overheated with smoke coming out the breather. Disassembled engine, removed the plugs from front and rear of oil passage and founds blockage in that line.......The rod bearing were dry. Cleaned out, put in new rod bearings and seems like the same problem......no oil getting to rod bearings. The engine is a 1941. The block is going to be vatted and cleaned prior to next build. Any ideas on why oil is not getting to the rod bearings??

flatjack9 06-13-2013 09:34 PM

Re: Dry rod bearings

Do you have a pressure gauge and does it register pressure when running?

Brian 06-13-2013 09:42 PM

Has it been modified for full flow filtration?; this involves putting a plug in oil gallery at rear of engine. If so modified, you'll need to either remove said plug, or plumb in the exterior lines etc to suit.

Johnnyj 06-14-2013 08:53 PM

There is a plug in the front and rear of the oil tube that runs front to rear of the block

Johnnyj 06-14-2013 08:56 PM

Yes, 40 lbs pressure

Walt Dupont--Me. 06-14-2013 09:07 PM

If the plug was installed in the horsontal line to the main oil line you would still have oil pressure from the pump but it wouldn't go across to the main line. You have 2 plugs back of the block where to pressure sender unit goes. remove the side one and see if you can stick a screw driver in there about 6in. If it only goes in an inch or so there is a plug in there. I had one of those blocks last year that had the same problem. On mine some one had tried to remove the fuel pump push rod bushing and broke It off and it was blocking the main oil line. Hard thing to find. Walt

Bluebell 06-14-2013 11:18 PM

The plug Walt is talking about, would have been fitted, if the engine had a cooler, or a filter fitted. It would likely have another plugged hole above the oil gallery casting boss (which already has a side and top tapping)
Going to Walt's You tube clips on the v8 oiling system might help you.

Zeke...PA 06-15-2013 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a diagram showing the plug in question if modified for full flow. The grub screw would be the problem if not plumbed. Zeke

Johnnyj 06-16-2013 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll check the plug out when I see the block later this week

296 V8 06-16-2013 09:13 AM

Did you check that the cam shaft bearings are clocked correctly?

JWL 06-16-2013 10:06 AM

Good question from 296 about cam bearings being indexed correctly. Also, is the front bypass spring and valve in place? Is the fuel pump rod bushing installed??

Johnnyj 06-16-2013 11:29 PM

The engine ran for a short time and sounded good to me. The bypass spring and valve were in place. When I get the block back ,I'll check the plugs mentioned and hopefully find the problem. The fuel pump bushing was damaged. It was removed and will be replaced when block returns

Mart 06-17-2013 06:18 AM

If it did have the oil passage plug fitted, the front two main bearings will also have been run dry. (Only the rear main will have received oil). It would be good to give them a good look at too.

Mart.

Johnnyj 06-17-2013 07:09 PM

Many thanks for the info., it all helps. I'll let all know what we find.