The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you use gasket sealer on cork gas gauge gaskets ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278767)

Conaway2 03-31-2020 08:31 PM

Do you use gasket sealer on cork gas gauge gaskets ?

What’s the consensus on this ?

Many thanks - JIm

J Franklin 03-31-2020 08:37 PM

Re: Do you use gasket sealer on cork gas gauge gaskets ?

I don't, just make sure everything is clean and feel for any burrs.

larrys40 03-31-2020 08:50 PM

No sealant !! Cork gaskets and make sure all ridges on tank side and back of gauge are clean and free of old gaskets and debris
Tighten well. Should be fine .
Larry

MikeK 03-31-2020 09:30 PM

I used a light smear of Hylomar Blue on one 10 years ago and still tight after 10 years of E10. Not even a hint of smell.

THIS STUFF from Permatex is relatively new, easier to find, and good with ethanol.

The trouble with the cork gaskets is the cork sheet stock manufacturers do not all use the same binders and there is no back-trace to specs on small demand stuff like Model A gaskets. Some cork sheet is very E10 resistant, some types fall apart. I made sure I also coated the inside edges of the gasket with the Hylomar blue for that reason, but again, that was 10 years ago.

quickchange 03-31-2020 10:15 PM

Yes golden syrup down under Maple syrup up above , Done hundreds that way

Jim/GA 03-31-2020 11:11 PM

I agree with Mike K, Hylomar Blue is best. They have an original Universal Blue formula and then the have the AF (advanced Formula). I prefer the Advanced Formula myself. (I have used both.)

Synchro909 04-01-2020 12:16 AM

I've never thought of using Hylomar Blue on those gaskets but I have used it on the head gasket. Even those crappy silicone gaskets are OK with a sealer like that even though the instructions say to not use a sealant.
I have used Permatex #3 on the fuel gauge gaskets.

barnstuf 04-01-2020 07:53 AM

Cork gas gauge gaskets work best dry, and used with brass slip washers. The brass slip washers used with them allow them to keep their shape and not distort. In my 2 year old Snyder's catalog they are A-9331.

Conaway2 04-01-2020 08:03 AM

Thanks to all for your responses. Where does the brass slip washer go in the assembly order ?

Thanks - Jim

Jim/GA 04-01-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conaway2 (Post 1868662)
Thanks to all for your responses. Where does the brass slip washer go in the assembly order ?

Thanks - Jim

Between the gauge and the big nut. (Sorry, senior moment.)

Why not use neoprene gaskets instead of cork? Probably more resistant to alcohol in our gasoline today.

jw hash 04-01-2020 08:55 AM

the slip washers goes between the big nut and the gauge, they are there to keep the gauge from turning when you tighten the big nut,

Jack Shaft 04-01-2020 09:45 AM

Fit mine back together with 1/16th cross section buna N o rings..cork quality today is terrible,and the o rings squeeze nice..no sealant either.

Big hammer 04-01-2020 10:38 AM

If grease is a sealer that's what I used, 15 years ago. The cork float disappeared a couple years ago, the gauge came apart easily, replaced the float, reinstalled with the old gaskets and some grease, no runs, drips or errors! I did buy some quailty steel tools, the aluminum tools are junk!

1931 flamingo 04-01-2020 12:30 PM

As above, Maple Syrup has been mentioned many times over the years.
Paul in CT