The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to remove blasted carrier bearings without ruining them (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264050)

Res731 05-28-2019 11:33 AM

How to remove blasted carrier bearings without ruining them

I have been working on the rear diff and I knew I had to add shims under the carrier bearings due to them having spun. The machine shop had them knurled and estimated how much they took off. So I assembled the carrier with the shims and installed the bearings. Low and behold, with .046 in gaskets I still had the carrier locked up so I knew I had to remove some of the shims. I tried in vain to pull the bearing with no luck and bought a bearing splitter at HF but essentially ruined the bearing. So Im out ~50 bucks just for one side to buy another bearing and try again.

Is there some trick to getting the bearing splitter under there? I tried a 3 jaw puller but there just isnt enough to grab onto. The bearing splitter worked but it pulled on the cage and now the cage is extremely loose. So much so I woudlnt use it

Frustrated in Ohio!!

Jim Brierley 05-28-2019 11:48 AM

Re: How to remove blasted carrier bearings without ruining them

I use what is called a knife-edge puller, and hold it tight against the back side of the bearing with a C clamp, then put in a press and push on the carrier using a socket of the proper diameter. Good luck. The cage being loose may not be a problem, it just keeps the rollers in place but no load is actually on it.

Tom Endy 05-28-2019 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had the same problem early on. I had a friend make a small bearing puller for me that had sharp edges I could slide under a bearing hub so as to pull it of without damage if I had to remove a new one in order to add more shims.

To make it easier whenever I have carrier assemblies knurled I have the machinist take an extra cut under the bearing stop to facilitate the use of a standard bearing puller.

The attached is an article about pulling a new bearing off.

Tom Endy

Res731 05-28-2019 01:38 PM

HI Tom

Yes, I read the article but for the life of me I could not get the bearing puller under the bearing as you showed. The one from HF is thicker and it simple would not fit with the knife edge up. I had to install it with the knife edge down and it only connected with the cage. I tried to see if there are dimensions out there for other bearing splitters but I couldn't find anything that talks about the height (only min width, max width, bearing dimension etc.) but not actual height of the splitter .

larrys40 05-28-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1762101)
I use what is called a knife-edge puller, and hold it tight against the back side of the bearing with a C clamp, then put in a press and push on the carrier using a socket of the proper diameter. Good luck. The cage being loose may not be a problem, it just keeps the rollers in place but no load is actually on it.

As Jim said a thin bearing remover should do it. You may have to modify it slightly to fit better. I am spoiled but grateful I have a full compliment of Kr wilson tools for the job. They make quick work of it and never fail.

Be careful using 3 jaw pullers as they will not work and distort the bearing unless of course you don’t care about them.

All the best!
Larry shepard

Res731 05-28-2019 05:08 PM

The one from HF is about 1 inch high. From a rough measurement I need a knife edge version which is no more than 3/4 -inch. Any ideas?

Tom Endy 05-28-2019 07:42 PM

Mount the carrier in a vice and take a putty knife and hammer and see if you can tap it into where the bearing seats. If you can move it off the seat a little you might be able to get a screw driver in there to pry it up further. Once off the seat a little you should be able to get the bearing puller under the hub. Depends on how tight the bearing is on the hub.

Tom Endy