The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Homemade Motor Stand (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252846)

IndyA 10-10-2018 09:57 AM

Homemade Motor Stand

1 Attachment(s)
About a year ago, I built a box to sit on sawhorses to hold my '29 motor while I did the dreaded "Flywheel Housing Variation Test".... That was successful.. and I need the storage space for other things. If anyone would like to have this in their "tool inventory" I'd be glad to ship it to you if you're willing to pay the shipping cost. I live in Indianapolis, IN...

I'll try to attach a photo but am not sure about the process?????Attachment 376532

37 Coupe 10-10-2018 01:38 PM

Re: Homemade Motor Stand

Okay on reading this I have a question about"flywheel variation test"Is this something to be done if you change flywheel housings? I am waiting on one that is supposed to be crack free and hopefully can change it soon,getting ready now to pull engine. I think you mean running a dial indicator along face of new one ? I just wonder if it really is that fussy or need to be done. Do the housings tend to warp as well as cracking? Also wonder the running or driving syptoms if this is an area that is off,vibration?

Jim Mason 10-10-2018 02:17 PM

They are that fussy. if not within specs because of the misalignment of of the transmission case and input shaft it will have a tendency to jump out of gear

100IH 10-10-2018 02:24 PM

37, I'm thinking that IndyA is about the flywheel housings rear surface where the clutch housing and trans mate up to. If the housing is at an angle to the main bearing bore centerline, the trans input shaft will bind. The process has been covered many times in the last 3-4 years and also very recently, as in days. You are correct though it is fussy and most are lucky and experience only minor effects. The fix is using shims at the top of the F/W housing and indicating the runout front to rear.

Benson 10-10-2018 02:35 PM

Re: Homemade Motor Stand-Flywheel alignment shims and adjustment

*&^%

IndyA 10-10-2018 04:41 PM

100IH is correct.... the process took several hours to get the gap correct.....Indy A

37 Coupe 10-10-2018 05:17 PM

Okay ,I am thankfull that you guys have posted this information as I am in the process of changing the flywheel housing that is cracked badly at the bottom.I think the car took a hit on the bottom at one time or someone jacked up on the flywheel and trans bellhousing as bottom to bolt holes on it or busted away. It also leaked oil so gasket between flywheel housing may never have been reinstalled. I imagine a lot of garges over the years failed to properly install gasket,shims and test for runout.I also have Les Andrews book but just got to alignment part with this post heads up.

rally 1 10-11-2018 02:04 PM

I’d be interested in the engine cradle. I was just getting ready to buile one.
Can you check on shipping to 44135, residence, Cleveland, Ohio.

Thanks
Ken

IndyA 10-12-2018 03:32 PM

rally1.... the box weighs 14#.... $28.97 from Fed X.... Call me for more details..
Drew Boggs 317-844-4238

rally 1 10-12-2018 04:55 PM

Phone number not good

IndyA 10-13-2018 03:44 PM

Sorry 'bout that... 317-845-4238 Drew Boggs '29 Special Ed.

rally 1 10-14-2018 07:44 AM

Will call today (Sunday)
What time is best?
Ken

Bob Bidonde 10-14-2018 08:04 AM

Arbitrarily putting 0.010" shims between the flywheel housing tabs and block is a poor practice. I find the gaps often exceed 0.010", so more shims are necessary. My point is, measure the actual gaps and shim accordingly.

rally 1 10-19-2018 04:05 PM

Drew,

Received the engine cradle today.
Belongs in the Art Museum, not under an oily engine.
Thanks
Ken

Benson 10-20-2018 09:04 AM

Why is it that some people make critical comments about posts before they have read AND before they have understood the contents of said post?

Brian in Wheeling 10-20-2018 10:12 AM

Because their in a hurry to be the first expert to reply with the poster's answer!
Brian

daveymc29 10-20-2018 10:19 AM

There are people that are basically cynical and unhappy. Some enjoy that condition and find fault with everything about, but pretty much keep it to themselves. Others just have to share their unhappiness with everything. There are also those that want everyone else to be as unhappy as they are. I think that will be the ones commenting before they have finished reading the posts. Again, smile and walk away. (Scroll on down.)