The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Really old gasoline question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271016)

walkerlakeprinter 10-16-2019 06:12 PM

Really old gasoline question

2 Attachment(s)
While not directly a Model A question, but maybe related. I have a 1977 Ford Econoline flatbed truck that has not been driven for several years. I'm in the process of draining the gas tank to investigate what is going on. The gasoline that I am pumping out is the color of Coca-Cola and really stinks. Is this normal deterioration? I've never seen this before.

I was able to get the Econoline to run on this gas with a little effort, but not well. I will have about 10 gallons of this bad gas when I am done and wondering if it would work in my Model A in a pinch.

Oldbluoval 10-16-2019 06:17 PM

Re: Really old gasoline question

Why would you chance it??
That’s not $25 worth of gas.
The “pinch” would have to be really significant

walkerlakeprinter 10-16-2019 06:26 PM

10 gallons of gas here would be $38.90. I will probably just keep it for washing parts.

daveymc29 10-16-2019 06:34 PM

Yes, that is normal deterioration of gasoline. I'd use it to clean parts, not to run the machine. I'd also flush out the tank and lines as well as clean the carb before trying to restart the engine.

wmws 10-16-2019 06:55 PM

It is also a good weed killer.

Beater 10-16-2019 06:58 PM

you fellas still was parts with gas???

History 10-16-2019 08:15 PM

I've just recently tried to use a truck and fire up an 87 gt mustang I've let sit for several years. Yeah I know I'm a moron that just let it get away from me. I tried using the truck, 3500 chevy 4x5 dump. I wound up having to take the tanks out and trash them on both vehicles. I'd let them sit in an insulated shop with about a quarter tank of gas in both. Everything above the line of gas rusted like crazy. The smell of that old gas could start wars.

1crosscut 10-16-2019 08:42 PM

Get a big bag (or two) of the oil absorbent material and use it to absorb the gasoline. Once it is completely absorbed into the material you can dispose of it in the landfill since it will be considered a solid.
Your local Health Department may have a house hold hazardous collection site / day that you can take it to and have it disposed of for free.

Pete 10-16-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beater (Post 1810375)
you fellas still was parts with gas???

Sign in my shop.

Gasoline is for washing parts.
Alcohol is for drinking.
Nitro makes cars go fast.

The Master Cylinder 10-16-2019 10:13 PM

But who wants their parts smelling like Nasty Stale Gasoline. I hate that smell. :p:p

40 Deluxe 10-17-2019 12:21 AM

Do not run your engine on that old gas! It will not burn completely and will leave a sticky, varnish-like goo on the exhaust valve stems, which will make them stick!

Kurt in NJ 10-17-2019 07:49 AM

I did some experiments with old gas, first in the lawnmower--- it would spark knock in heavy grass--- the model A was empty, I put that gas in the A wet to the steepest hill around, the ocean city bridge, full advance from 10 mph at the bottom, crested at 45--- no spark knocking
When I was driving a Mercedes 240D I ran it on a lot of spoiled gas, used transmission oil, and once on a gallon of pure antifreeze--- I did that by accident, the next day I went looking for it by draining the tank, and fuel filter-- it was gone, never noticed any difference in running

It's not something to put in the tank and park the car, I only use old gas in the A if I am going to drive enough to use it all and run fresh gas enough to have flushed the concoction out the tailpipe

katy 10-17-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

I will have about 10 gallons of this bad gas when I am done and wondering if it would work in my Model A in a pinch.
I would blend it w/fresh gas about 5 parts fresh to 1 part old and run it in any vehicle.

The Master Cylinder 10-17-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1810532)
and once on a gallon of pure antifreeze---

You ran an engine on pure antifreeze?? :rolleyes: I don't know what you are using for anti-freeze but I didn't realize anti-freeze was flammable. :eek:

Jim Brierley 10-17-2019 10:33 AM

I've run gas like that mixed about 50/50 in my 601 Ford tractor, no problems.

Kurt in NJ 10-17-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 1810595)
You ran an engine on pure antifreeze?? :rolleyes: I don't know what you are using for anti-freeze but I didn't realize anti-freeze was flammable. :eek:

It was a Mercedes diesel--- I panicked when it happened, quickly drains tank and filters and it was already gone, the car would run on bacon grease too--- used cooking oil, one of the best cars I have owned, put 100,000 on it and sold it fo twice what I paid

Pete 10-17-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 1810595)

Not now days but back in the ancient past, some of the anti-freeze was methanol.
One of the name brands was "Zerone".

rotorwrench 10-17-2019 02:15 PM

Old highly oxidized gasoline has a smell like varnish/turpentine on steroids. If you get it on you, you will reek of it until it wears off. I'm not partial to that odor at all.

I like my 1956 Ford 850 tractor well enough that I would drain that out and kill weeds with it. I like to keep that old Marvel Schebler carb and that engine top end in good shape. That old crap ain't gas anymore and mixing it with good gas doesn't make it any better.

walkerlakeprinter 10-17-2019 03:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is out of the tank of my old Econoline truck! No wonder the fuel pump was not working! Also.....explains all the crud in the tank which I am still in process of draining. What in the world would corrode a dip tube like this??

walkerlakeprinter 10-17-2019 04:25 PM

Forgot to mention: it's an aluminum dip tube.