The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Member (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254381)

77Birdman 11-07-2018 08:41 AM

Thanks to the Ford barn for letting me join. I have a great interest and fondness for the Model A. I do not own one but would love to some day. I do have a 77 trans am that I did a full restoration on a couple of years ago and have just started a restoration on a 79 trans am. I have decent body and put together skills but am not a mechanic. I can figure things out but motors are my shortcoming. I also have a collection of antique motorcycles ranging from 1938 up to 1968. About to turn 55, not sure where I fall on the age scale here. My long term plan is to sell the 79 after restoration and use the proceeds to buy a nice Model A.

midgetracer 11-07-2018 09:24 AM

Re: New Member

Welcome Birdman

Mike Peters 11-07-2018 09:26 AM

Welcome to Ford Barn! I also am interested in some cars and motorcycles other than Model A's but remain very fond of the A's. As someone else has stated here, "Whatever turns money into noise!". You will find that Model A that you purchase with Trans Am money will be far more enjoyable.

Jeff/Illinois 11-07-2018 10:26 AM

Hi Birdman and welcome!

Having a nice Trans Am like what you have can only compliment the Model A. Have one of both. We have a '69 Mach 1 to go with the Model A and that is a good thing. Sometimes you want to be the guy with a fast car lurking behind the slow poke!

Have fun buddy! You'll learn a lot on here.

braol 11-07-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Birdman (Post 1693584)
I have decent body and put together skills but am not a mechanic. I can figure things out but motors are my shortcoming.

Once you get an "A" you'll have a wonderful, basic engine to learn on and be able to consider yourself a shade-tree engine mechanic. You're right in the wheelhouse as far as age goes. I've wanted an A since I was a kid and I bought one at the ripe old age of 48. Welcome!!!

77Birdman 11-07-2018 04:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Not sure I will be able to add anything but looking forward to learning a lot. Several years ago my older brother decided the time was right to buy an
'A'. He went to a large show in our area. I think the name was Reningers, in Lancaster Co PA. There were many dozen beautiful cars there. He met a lot of great people, several of which allowed him to get in their cars and get a feel. He found out that he was too tall and felt too crunched up. He was very disappointed and changed his mind.

77Birdman 11-07-2018 04:11 PM

Gotcha Jeff. I have been a firebird guy since mom brought home a new '67 400. Never been too crazy about mustangs. BUT, I love the Mach I's. My wifes first car was a 82 mustang. I bought her a new one a couple of years ago, 2014 convertible. It shares garage space with the T/A. I have to say that I am now a closeted mustang guy!

Jeff/Illinois 11-07-2018 09:23 PM

That's OK 77Birdman we won't tell!!!

The new Mustang convertibles are a lot of fun. I've been looking at the new ones on the Internet and if I can finagle the room I'm about to pull the trigger and order a new one. You are doing the right thing in educating yourself on A's. Don't get in a hurry, the right one will come along at the right price at the right time for you. You'll know when it's the right time listen to your gut feeling. Take a knowledgeable Model A guy with you so you don't get caught up in the emotions at the time when you see it. They will spot things you don't notice. It will save you a lot of money and frustration down the road.

Keep them Trans Am's buddy! They are tomorrow's collector car still popular today. I wouldn't let it go if I were you. They bring more money than Corvettes of the same year. That alone tells you something.

Your brother was wise to try a Model A on for size. They can be a tight squeeze I know for a fact.

braol 11-08-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Birdman (Post 1693725)
...Never been too crazy about mustangs. ...I have to say that I am now a closeted mustang guy!

In my (jaded) opinion I think the 289 Shelby mustang from 1965/66 are the most fun to drive cars out there. My 'stang is a standard V-8 car but I've bolted on all the Shelby-spec stuff (715 CFM carb, harmonic, tri-Y header, front discs, etc... Everybody asks when I'm going with a 302 but I think the 289 with the carb and header set-up is a real zinger! I think the light weight 65/66 cars more than make up for the reduced HP when compared to other mustangs.

Jeff/Illinois 11-08-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braol (Post 1693931)
I think the light weight 65/66 cars more than make up for the reduced HP when compared to other mustangs.

Lot of truth in that. The '68 GT350 with a 4bbl. 302 rated at a paltry 250HP was a real dog. It didn't have enough power to even pass itself. That car was a real embarrassment for the program of course Ford had taken it over and it was downhill after '67.

burner31 11-08-2018 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome puny Earthling...to the Ford Barn

Y-Blockhead 11-09-2018 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Birdman (Post 1693723)
... He met a lot of great people, several of which allowed him to get in their cars and get a feel. He found out that he was too tall and felt too crunched up. He was very disappointed and changed his mind.

That's too bad he got disappointed. Suggest to him to check out a '30-31 Fordor sedan. I'm 6'2" and with a few adjustments (moving front seat back 3", bending the shifter to the right 2") I find it quite comfortable with still plenty of leg room for rear seat passengers.
Welcome to the Barn.

77Birdman 11-09-2018 09:18 AM

Braol, I have a friend that has a Shelby mustang but ive never been in it. He bought it back in the early 70's when they were somewhat affordable, he also races a modified 66 notchback car.
Burner, thanks for the welcome. I love that movie. Like old cars, Most of the movies I watch tend to be black and white.
Blockhead, Yea, My bros about 6'3 so I suppose he could've made it work. He was just so disappointed I think he just threw in the towel. He too has antique motorcycles and spends his spare time with them now.

DHZIEMAN 11-09-2018 11:56 AM

Welcome! Multiple interests is a good thing!