The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Caveat with Mac's Auto Parts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215337)

Dick Carne 02-22-2017 01:25 PM

Caveat with Mac's Auto Parts

Please pardon my rant this morning, but I thought I might pass along my recent experience with Mac's to those who may be considering ordering parts through them. When I built my last Model A project, I used Mac's a good bit since I had a friend that had a standing 15% discount with them, and he had allowed me to purchase parts through his business relationship with them. Last night, however, I went on-line to take advantage of their advertised 10% one-day discount, and thought that I might be able to save a little change by going through them for a few parts. In placing my order on-line, I was bounced back and forth between screens a few times before being able to finally complete my order. When I checked the order confirmation this morning, I noticed that the order was short one item, I was charged state sales tax even though I ordered these pieces from their location in another state (I live in Georgia, and the sales rep says that Mac's has a location in Georgia, but it is not open to the public - therefore they have to charge tax??), and when I called in, after a 20 minute wait, had to negotiate to receive the 10% discount on the second item that I thought I had ordered last night. Regrettably, this will be my last order with Mac's. There are too many good venders around to support this type of "service".

1crosscut 02-22-2017 01:36 PM

Re: Caveat with Mac's Auto Parts

I think that you have come away with an experience like a number of others have had with Mac's.
As far as them charging you sales tax that really shouldn't matter as we all are supposed to self report and pay our state sales tax on items ordered on line from out of state.
We ALL do that........ right??

Big hammer 02-22-2017 01:54 PM

Yep! I received rusty wornout old parts! Their catalog said nothing about selling parts out of a junk yard! Called them and was told that what I order where rare parts! I sent their rusty worn out parts back, two months later received a check. My last experience with them. The parts I needed where for early V-8 transmission, ordered nice old, clean parts from Vanpelts! Good people! He hand picked/checked and sent ready to use old parts.

captndan 02-22-2017 02:02 PM

We are fortunate to have several very good parts suppliers. We also have a very few bad apples in the barrel. So when your hand comes out of the barrel smell your fingers.

Jeff/Illinois 02-22-2017 02:29 PM

I never had any bad dealings with these folks, but haven't ordered from them in at least 12 years. Back then was some Flathead parts, I get what I need now mostly from Joe's out in Massachusetts. Super nice guy. Kinda hard to understand that accent they have out there sometimes but I usually figure it out.

Got a Mustang parts catalog from Mac's just yesterday, I get that stuff from CJ Pony Parts they have excellent quality parts plus free S&H! Hard to beat that.

But in summary, I guess it's good to have a variety of parts places to order from. It can't be easy to make a living trying to sell old car parts.

Mike V. Florida 02-22-2017 02:55 PM

Do a search here on Mac's.

jm29henry 02-22-2017 05:00 PM

I not 100% sure but I think the old Macs is gone and ecklers bought them out big company just trying to make big profit on less quality parts just my thought !!!

Beauford 02-22-2017 05:23 PM

It is Ecklers now. In the beginning not knowing any better about A's I ordered a ton from Mac's but now use only a couple of others for my project. The thing with Mac's is you place a order and then find out its on back order for months. My time is limited so I like to receive my parts in a timely manner. Go with vendors that start with B.

rinzana 03-03-2017 11:36 AM

Has anyone tried Mike's A-fordable? Not bad prices, quick shipping and on-line ordering. Some of their pictures could be better. I used to always use Mac's but now I am shopping around and ordering from multiple folks for best price.

Beauford 03-03-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinzana (Post 1437303)
Has anyone tried Mike's A-fordable? Not bad prices, quick shipping and on-line ordering. Some of their pictures could be better. I used to always use Mac's but now I am shopping around and ordering from multiple folks for best price.

Mikes has some good deals and shipping is always fast. I buy his package deals mostly.(mikes money savers) Good customer service as well.

stouchton 03-03-2017 12:09 PM

A little off topic, but you guys might find this amusing:

My wife wanted a new carpet in the Roadster. No problem, pretty much all vendors have the same thing at the same price. After having a nice conversation with Walt a couple months ago, i decided Brattons deserved the business. MAC's and Rick's Camaro had caused me some issues so I did not want to give them the business.

I ordered the carpet from Brattons, and MAC's delivered it yesterday.........

old31 03-03-2017 12:34 PM

Why would Macs make the delivery?

Tom Wesenberg 03-03-2017 12:41 PM

Price matters, but first is quality, then service, then price.

I've had good luck with most of the dealers.
A&L, Bert's, Bratton's, and Snyder's are good for quality, service, and price on most items.

Dick Steinkamp 03-03-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stouchton (Post 1437318)

I ordered the carpet from Brattons, and MAC's delivered it yesterday.........

I think we'd all be surprised how many of our new parts are shared by all suppliers. The market is just not big enough for every supplier to be sourcing their own parts. It is a time consuming an expensive activity even for the simplest part. My guess is that Mac's has taken the lead in this (with some exceptions of course).

Dick Steinkamp 03-03-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1437331)
Why would Macs make the delivery?

It's called a drop ship. Amazon (and most other non brick and mortar suppliers) makes good use of this.

You order a part from supplier X. They pass the order to supplier Y and collect a fee for providing the sale. Supplier Y ships the part.

That way, supplier X does not have the expenses of maintaining an inventory on the part.

Basic supply chain management. Push the costs as far back into the supply chain as possible.

JDupuis 03-03-2017 01:02 PM

Mac's owns Cartouche, who probably made the carpet for Bratton's. Jeff

stouchton 03-03-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDupuis (Post 1437343)
Mac's owns Cartouche, who probably made the carpet for Bratton's. Jeff

OK... that explains it!!!

Jeff/Illinois 03-03-2017 02:32 PM

Vintique parts are always good:eek::eek::eek:

Big supplier in the antique car parts circles for many vendors. Parts made to print. Whose prints we don't know but made to print.

Mitch//pa 03-03-2017 02:33 PM

Car-Douche interiors and Macs auto parts ,...the perfect combination

Synchro909 03-03-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp (Post 1437341)
It's called a drop ship. Amazon (and most other non brick and mortar suppliers) makes good use of this.

You order a part from supplier X. They pass the order to supplier Y and collect a fee for providing the sale. Supplier Y ships the part.

That way, supplier X does not have the expenses of maintaining an inventory on the part.

Basic supply chain management. Push the costs as far back into the supply chain as possible.

So supplier X is not really a supplier, just a parasite.