The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need electrical / ignition help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282334)

ZOLTAR 06-09-2020 07:10 PM

Need electrical / ignition help

Still trying to get spark out of my 59 a b. I have a rebuilt distributor what seems to be a good coil. Just have it hot wired to the battery into the start of now. When I crank the motor I get no power to the coil when the motor isn't turning over I have power.. any suggestions? Thanks Rich 6 volt battery positive ground 1 wire to the coil ,,condenser?

Don 06-09-2020 07:22 PM

Re: Need electrical / ignition help

Sounds like low voltage!maybe starter drawing to much current,,,does it spin very fast??

JSeery 06-09-2020 07:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Little bit hard to follow how you have this set up. Should be a wire to whatever you are using as a starter solenoid. The power wire from the battery would connect to a terminal on the solenoid, this same terminal would also connect to a switch (starter switch). The other terminal of the switch connects to the (-) terminal of the coil and the (+) terminal of the coil connects to the point/condenser. (No resistor is needed with 6v and a 1.5 ohm coil).

ZOLTAR 06-09-2020 07:28 PM

it is a helmet distributor with coil on top of thatIt is a helmet distributor with coil on top of that I only have one wire hooked up to the coil am I doing something wrong. Thanks

tubman 06-09-2020 07:32 PM

Silly question. Do you have the condenser installed?

ZOLTAR 06-09-2020 07:33 PM

yes not silly

JSeery 06-09-2020 07:36 PM

On the stock type coil on distributor there is only one wire to the distributor, the other connections are built into the distributor/coil. You only need the two wires with a separately mounted "can" type of coil. You do need the resistor in your case.

ZOLTAR 06-09-2020 07:38 PM

Okay I'll take a moment and explain better thanks for your help. Have a 6 volt battery negative side going directly to starter. Coil connected to the same negative side of battery with an inline resistor. I take the positive side of the battery and ground it to the block that makes the engine spin takes away power from the coil. Not getting any spark to the wires. Engine is turning over fairly fast but not what I would consider full speed. Thanks for your help and patience

ZOLTAR 06-09-2020 07:39 PM

thanks for that that's what I thought

JSeery 06-09-2020 07:45 PM

Should work if you have enough battery power. If you have a volt meter connect it to the wire going to the coil and see what voltage you have when cranking the engine. You need 3.5 to 4 volts to get a good enough spark to fire the plugs. Just touching the positive to the engine for a ground may not be giving you a good enough connection for what you need. I would invest in a starter solenoid and a switch and use a good ground from the battery to the engine.

ZOLTAR 06-09-2020 09:07 PM

Well somehow I managed to melt my coil maybe it's time for electronic ignition

tubman 06-09-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOLTAR (Post 1897441)
Well somehow I managed to melt my coil maybe it's time for electronic ignition

I don't think that's a good idea. I think it would be best if you fully understand how the stock ignition works, with all of it's quirks and foibles. Get a basic understanding of how everything works.

Plus, it's a lot more expensive if you damage the electronic stuff.

JSeery 06-09-2020 09:20 PM

Big jump based on wiring it up the way you did. :) The stock system is a strong reliable system. Electronic systems do work, but not well on 6v and much more sensitive to power issues.

40cpe 06-09-2020 09:22 PM

With your setup when you take the positive off the block you remove the ground return for the ignition, too, so you wont have any voltage to the coil.

ZOLTAR 06-09-2020 10:44 PM

thanks for your advice everybody

Aarongriffey 06-09-2020 11:30 PM

Get another battery, set it on the ground by the front of the car .
Disconnect the wire from the coil.
Run two jumper wires from the second battery to the car, one ground and one to the coil. Now see if you get spark when cranking it over.

petehoovie 06-09-2020 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOLTAR (Post 1897441)
Well somehow I managed to melt my coil.

Show us a picture of this melted coil....

Aarongriffey 06-09-2020 11:33 PM

I had that same problem a week ago on a car that just had the engine rebuilt.
Turned out the rusty nut on the coil was not tight.

koates 06-10-2020 04:12 AM

If you run your original ford coil on top of the distributor then you must use the original ford type resistor in the coil power feed wire. No resistor and you will cook the coil. These coils run on 4 volts , not 6 volts. Also if the ignition is turned on for a longer period without the engine running then its possible to cook the coil. Forget electronic ignition. That's the usual remark when owners of old Fords cant work out or fix the original system. The original Ford V8 ignition is an excellent system. Learn how it works. Regards, Kevin.

FortyNiner 06-10-2020 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOLTAR (Post 1897404)
Okay I'll take a moment and explain better thanks for your help. Have a 6 volt battery negative side going directly to starter. Coil connected to the same negative side of battery with an inline resistor.

So, does this mean you don't have a starter relay (a solenoid to some of us) in the circuit? Does your setup match the diagram in post #3 from JSeery?