The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   40 Ford Pickup ID Numbers (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270156)

FlatheadEric 09-29-2019 12:37 AM

40 Ford Pickup ID Numbers

1940 Ford pickup left hand drive imported from USA into New Zealand and it now needs to be prepped for NZ certification and registration.
Could someone please tell me where to find the chassis and body ID numbers?

Mart 09-29-2019 04:31 AM

Re: 40 Ford Pickup ID Numbers

The chassis number on my two 41s is on the top of the left hand rail very near where the front crossmember is rivetted to the rail.

There is no body number of any significance that I am aware of. If the truck has it's original transmission the number stamped on the bellhousing above the inspection window should match the number on the frame.

If the number does not match you can derive the year of the trans from the listings on Mac VPs site.

Mart.

Charlie Stephens 09-29-2019 08:51 AM

Here is the site referenced in the second post: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm

What is the serial number on the title? Use XXX for the last three numbers if you are concerned.

Charlie Stephens

FlatheadEric 09-29-2019 12:33 PM

Thanks Mart and Charlie, you guys are very helpful.

FlatheadEric 09-29-2019 12:41 PM

Hello Charlie,

I am asking on behalf of a friend who does not use computers so I don't have the truck paperwork in hand. I will find out from him and may come back to you so check that it is a valid number.

swoopNZ 09-29-2019 04:53 PM

Eric,
I have a couple of imported 40 pickups from the USA.
I'm in New Plymouth.
You can call or email me anytime.
Regards,
Chris.NZ.

[email protected]

Tel 06 755 0818

FlatheadEric 09-29-2019 09:39 PM

Thanks Chris,

I will past your contact on to my friend who has the truck in his possession. Are your trucks stock standard?

swoopNZ 09-30-2019 05:03 PM

One is - the other will have a 39 convertible chassis under it - basically the same as a 40 pickup. Barry Buckthought in Otorohanga is doing up a 40 pickup at present also.

Fordestes 09-30-2019 05:31 PM

Also check on the very top left rear frame rail at the kickup point, just above where the rear axle centers the frame.

FlatheadEric 10-01-2019 12:58 AM

So far no luck in finding a number in the three places shown on the Van Pelt drawing.
Are the stampings quite obvious or are they only lightly stamped? The chassis looks to have been blasted and painted so would this have destroyed the numbers?

FlatheadEric 10-01-2019 12:59 AM

Fordestes - is this a different location to the '3rd Location' shown on the Van Pelt drawing?

Mart 10-01-2019 05:44 AM

Blasting shouldn't have destroyed the numbers but paint may have filled them somewhat. I hope I remembered correctly but pickups didn't have the second and 3rd location numbers. Keep looking along the left frame rail, especially right by where the rivets for the front crossmember are.

Lightly sand the paint if necessary.

Might be wrong, but the numbers should have been clearly visible and checked against the paperwork on export.

Mart.

tubman 10-01-2019 08:04 AM

It might be a little messier, but I'd use paint remover to remove the paint, rather than sanding, as it won't effect the metal at all, where sanding may make very faint stampings even harder to read.

JSeery 10-01-2019 10:04 AM

I have a 41 bare frame (pickup) that took me a while to locate the numbers. Sometimes they can be difficult to see. And, as Mart posted, believe the pickup/commercial frames are only marked in the forward part of the frame. The can be anywhere from the firewall to the front crossmember. It is almost impossible to totally remove the numbers, but they could have made it very difficult to see them. Stamping the metal disturbs it to a fairly deep level, there are methods to make them more visible if it comes to that. If you have to remove paint, I think the numbers tend to be at or near the front crossmember or between the steering box mount and the firewall. Might start with those areas even though that can be anywhere.

randy993 10-01-2019 02:41 PM

Mine was actually back toward the cab on the frame. Took me a while to find them as they were fairly light.

Gumpy 10-02-2019 09:27 AM

I use a wire brush to bring the numbers to the surface but be careful,,,,some numbers are stamped hard ---some light,,if you find the star you're on the right track!

FlatheadEric 10-02-2019 12:25 PM

Thanks everyone. Work is currently interfering so will have another look this weekend.