The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   28 pickup rear spring (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241120)

woofa.express 03-20-2018 05:01 AM

28 pickup rear spring

goodday people.
my 28 pickup gives a hard ride. I renewed shockers with post manufactured. no improvement. this vehicle will never carry more than 2 hundred weight.
question. has anyone had experience with removing leaf springs to a bare minimum.?
the vehicle is named "woofa express". woofa is the good looking hound guarding the pickup and tourer behind. you call a tourer a Phaeton.

brokenspoke 03-20-2018 05:08 AM

Re: 28 pickup rear spring

I used a 7 leaf roadster spring in the rear of my RPU

woofa.express 03-20-2018 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenspoke (Post 1607171)
I used a 7 leaf roadster spring in the rear of my RPU

thankyou Broken Spoke. would you suggest I simply remove maybe one or two leaves? it is the improved ride I am after.
I live in Australia and unlike you in America we don't have such a ready supply of parts. thanks again for your info. gary

Tom Wesenberg 03-20-2018 06:22 AM

Make sure you have lubrication between each spring leaf. I use grease, then sprinkle powdered graphite over the grease, assemble the spring, and wrap it with spring covers.

cjkohnast 03-20-2018 06:25 AM

You need to change the saddle that goes on above the nuts to make up for the smaller spring

Corley 03-20-2018 08:44 AM

Note that if you remove leaves, and go too far, the spring flexes more with the effect of getting longer. Since it is now riding further out and down on the shakles, the rig may have more tendency to rock and roll on corners. More lean can happen more easily as the vehicle swings around on the shakes.

(Sorry, I have spelled shakles two different ways, and neither looks right. At 78 spelling is not my strong point, in fact some wonder if I even have one.)

wrndln 03-20-2018 08:52 AM

I have a 29 CCPU. I plan to do what was mentioned above, remove leaf 7 and 9 to make an 8 leaf spring from a 10 leaf spring. This is how Ford made 8 leaf springs - deleted leaf 7 and 9. Pickups originally had 10 leaf springs as they were setup to carry heavier loads back in the day. Ford used 8 leaf springs on phaetons and coupes, so I see no reason an 8 leaf spring on a pickup would be a problem. I think the ride should be better. Yes, you do need to use the 7 - 8 leaf spring U bolt retainer plates, if you go to an 8 leaf spring.
Rusty Nelson

Ray64 03-20-2018 08:54 AM

lol

1930-Pickup 03-20-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrndln (Post 1607234)
I have a 29 CCPU. I plan to do what was mentioned above, remove leaf 7 and 9 to make an 8 leaf spring from a 10 leaf spring. This is how Ford made 8 leaf springs - deleted leaf 7 and 9. Pickups originally had 10 leaf springs as they were setup to carry heavier loads back in the day. Ford used 8 leaf springs on phaetons and coupes, so I see no reason an 8 leaf spring on a pickup would be a problem. I think the ride should be better. Yes, you do need to use the 7 - 8 leaf spring U bolt retainer plates, if you go to an 8 leaf spring.
Rusty Nelson

I agree with Rusty. This is exactly what I plan to do with my 1930 CCPU.

woofa.express 03-20-2018 03:17 PM

thankyou all. It is great to ask for help and receive opinions from those who know and are generous to share it. I see that Corley is a junior member at 78! I too are like you Corley, junior that is, and I hope I'm driving mine at 78. eight to catch up but you will be 86 then. cheers, gary

Synchro909 03-20-2018 04:39 PM

For my current project (a ute), I am making a rear spring out of 2 old ones. Both have broken leaves and I can't get a 10 leaf spring out of them without shortening one so I'll settle for 9 leaves.
From this thread, I'm even more hopeful than before that it will be OK - maybe even a bit hard but there will be times when it carries a bit of a load. A reasonable compromise, I think.

1955cj5 03-20-2018 04:45 PM

Post #26 in this thread has some measurements that Tom W. made of an 8 leaf pack and also of my 13 leaf pack(talk about a stiff ride!) that I reduced to an 8 leaf.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=182182&page=2

Huge improvement in ride.

I sorta wish I'd a made a 9 leaf pack as the old leaves are, well, old and one more leaf might have lifted the rear just a little to give that pickup truck look....

walls 03-20-2018 06:00 PM

Be careful taking your spring apart and reassembling it, if you’ve never done it.
You should absolutely read up on that.

Removing 2 or 3 springs is ok, but will lower your car a bit.
You also have to remove the correct ones.
I’d keep the main and 2nd then remove every other one.

Whichever leaves you removed, then must be cut down and installed under the spring pack, so the bolts will tighten up properly.

woofa.express 03-20-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1607397)
For my current project (a ute), I am making a rear spring out of 2 old ones. Both have broken leaves and I can't get a 10 leaf spring out of them without shortening one so I'll settle for 9 leaves.
From this thread, I'm even more hopeful than before that it will be OK - maybe even a bit hard but there will be times when it carries a bit of a load. A reasonable compromise, I think.

will I see you in Murray Bridge with the ute?

woofa.express 03-20-2018 11:58 PM

I've messed up this thread. it's all new to me. g

woofa.express 03-21-2018 12:02 AM

I've messed up this thread. this is all new to me

Synchro909 03-21-2018 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woofa.express (Post 1607564)
will I see you in Murray Bridge with the ute?

No, not this one. It won't be ready by then. We've got another rally and a trip to the US to fit in between now and then. Haven't decided which car to take yet.

Clem Clement 03-21-2018 05:57 AM

One time I was tasked to get the beer for a party. Two pony kegs set my 29 pickup just right. nice bounce. I almost cancelled the party and kept the kegs...nah!

Jim M 03-21-2018 08:04 AM

Just rebuilt my rear spring on my 29 Roadster. I got a couple of great hints from my local club. First take a grinder and slightly grind of the very tip edges of the bottom of each leaf so they don't have a tendency over time to gouge the leaf below them (as mine had done), Second I found a product called SLIP spray on graphite. After I sand blasted and primed the leafs I sprayed the SLIP on. Watched a fly break it's neck trying to land on it........lol.

katy 03-21-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

(Sorry, I have spelled shakles two different ways, and neither looks right. At 78 spelling is not my strong point, in fact some wonder if I even have one.)
Try: shackles