The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   brakes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254068)

2manycars 11-01-2018 04:02 PM

brakes
 

1 Attachment(s)
A while ago I asked about improving brakes on my 40. I installed the Bendix kit from Boling Brothers, and just finished rebuilding the Lockheeds on the rear. I had soft linings bonded on at the frictions place in Portland, and rebuilt the wheel cylinders. Just waiting for help to bleed and hopefully will see a big improvement.

JSeery 11-01-2018 04:46 PM

Re: brakes
 

Looks nice.

paul2748 11-01-2018 07:25 PM

Re: brakes
 

What was the name (and number/email) of the company that did the relining?


Thanks

2manycars 11-01-2018 08:22 PM

Re: brakes
 

All Frictions, Portland, Connecticut. He even had me measure my newly machined drums and contoured the shoes to match. $20 per shoe. He did the brakes for both model A Fords also.

http://allfrictions.com

rich b 11-01-2018 09:52 PM

Re: brakes
 

Any thoughts on the use of the same lining length on both shoes vs shorter lining as used originally on the rear shoes?

Drbrown 11-01-2018 10:20 PM

Re: brakes
 

I installed self-bleeders on my brake cylinders .... wifie can stay in the kitchen baking cookies !

2manycars 11-02-2018 07:29 AM

Re: brakes
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich b (Post 1691778)
Any thoughts on the use of the same lining length on both shoes vs shorter lining as used originally on the rear shoes?

I have read that it is not important. Perhaps the short shoe was to save money.

tubman 11-02-2018 09:24 AM

Re: brakes
 

Another recommendation for "Speed-Bleeders". They will make your life a lot easier.

philipswanson 11-02-2018 09:47 AM

Re: brakes
 

Did the same on my 40 wagon. Took a whole 15 minutes to bleed all 4 with a helper (wife). No gimmicks just a wrench, rag and some brake fluid. It's not rocket science!

19Fordy 11-02-2018 09:52 AM

Re: brakes
 

Speed Bleeders make it easy. Buy the longer ones to make it even easier.
Part #SB3824L for 40 Ford but, double check size you need. Yes, they actually make this a one person job. See how it's done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMV51FUA7A

alanwoodieman 11-02-2018 10:04 AM

Re: brakes
 

we just finished a 40 sedan with the Boling Brothers front brakes--very impressive, will slide front radial tires . No wonder all the old hot rodders looked for 39-41 Lincoln brakes

philipswanson 11-02-2018 11:26 AM

Re: brakes
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1691894)
Speed Bleeders make it easy. Buy the longer ones to make it even easier.
Part #SB3824L for 40 Ford but, double check size you need. Yes, they actually make this a one person job. See how it's done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMV51FUA7A

You don't need anything to make it easy. It's already easy with no gimmicks.

tubman 11-02-2018 11:47 AM

Re: brakes
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1691943)
You don't need anything to make it easy. It's already easy with no gimmicks.

I don't know about you, but I find it difficult at times to get a helper to drop everything and come out to my shop. Speed-Bleeders make it a true one person job. Try doing it all by yourself without them. I wouldn't call them "gimmicks" either.

Hal Beatty 11-02-2018 09:52 PM

Re: brakes
 

Speed-Bleeders work great. And you don't have to listen to the wife or daughters bitch about having to help bleed the brakes...

GB SISSON 11-02-2018 11:40 PM

Re: brakes
 

I have a buddy that we always share the chore with. There have been times when I have to bleed them alone. I cut a stick that goes from the front of the seat to the depressed brake pedal. With bleeder open I press the pedal down and install the stick. Then I go back under and shut the valve. Repeat, repeat, repeat....It's pretty horrible but it does work fine. When my buddy and I work together it takes exactly two beers each to perform the task. Pretty much a win/win. I DO think the valves sound like a great idea, but it's nice sometimes not to be working alone.

2manycars 11-03-2018 08:29 AM

Re: brakes
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1692154)
I have a buddy that we always share the chore with. There have been times when I have to bleed them alone. I cut a stick that goes from the front of the seat to the depressed brake pedal. With bleeder open I press the pedal down and install the stick. Then I go back under and shut the valve. Repeat, repeat, repeat....It's pretty horrible but it does work fine. When my buddy and I work together it takes exactly two beers each to perform the task. Pretty much a win/win. I DO think the valves sound like a great idea, but it's nice sometimes not to be working alone.

My old buddy that used to stop at the shop every day has died, so I no longer have anybody at the ready to help. Someone was supposed to come by thursday eve, but failed to show up.

1931 flamingo 11-03-2018 11:23 AM

Re: brakes
 

I can help next week in the afternoon, not Mon or Tues.
Paul

cas3 11-03-2018 02:04 PM

Re: brakes
 

i do it like GB, by myself with a stick jammed into the seat, or a bungy strap to the frame when doing a bare chassis. easier than looking for help

Mart 11-03-2018 02:12 PM

Re: brakes
 

On my 41 pickup I used a vacuum bleeder kit. It took me a while, but I was able to bleed it successfully on my own.

Mart.

paul2748 11-03-2018 10:51 PM

Re: brakes
 

Thank You


Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars (Post 1691747)
All Frictions, Portland, Connecticut. He even had me measure my newly machined drums and contoured the shoes to match. $20 per shoe. He did the brakes for both model A Fords also.

http://allfrictions.com



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.