The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   29 Tudor crank pulley question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283262)

fred93 06-27-2020 03:32 PM

29 Tudor crank pulley question

I was reinstalling the generator that I just rebuilt and I noticed that the two piece crank pulley had some play between the pulley piece and the separate rear piece.

It is not a lot of play but I'm thinking that there should not be ANY play at all. The pulley bolt is tight so I am wondering why there is play??

Also--can I tighten that bolt with a socket and extension through the crank hole in the radiator shell--what size socket???

Any thoughts?

Bob C 06-27-2020 04:02 PM

Re: 29 Tudor crank pulley question

It is possible the nut is bottomed out on the crank snout, you may
need to add a washer. The ID of the washer need to be a little bigger than the OD of the snout.

kenparker 06-27-2020 04:18 PM

There should be NO rotational movement between the two pieces of the two piece crank pulley. It will get worser and mo worser.

Synchro909 06-27-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenparker (Post 1903506)
There should be NO rotational movement between the two pieces of the two piece crank pulley. It will get worser and mo worser.

It won't get any worser once it fails and I fear failure is not far away if it the thread that holds the pulley to the hub is loose or damaged.

Big hammer 06-27-2020 08:17 PM

The nut can be tighten or loosened with a socket and extension, put the socket over the nut and then an extension through the hole where the hand crank goes. Socket size is 1 1/16 I think maybe 1 1/8 ? I changed my pulley a year ago memory has faded

fred93 06-28-2020 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1903580)
The nut can be tighten or loosened with a socket and extension, put the socket over the nut and then an extension through the hole where the hand crank goes. Socket size is 1 1/16 I think maybe 1 1/8 ? I changed my pulley a year ago memory has faded

Thanks for your reply.

I guess the repro devil strikes again! (repro parts almost fit!!)

The socket size is 1-3/8" --I found it in Snyder's catalog. See photo.

fred93 06-28-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1903501)
It is possible the nut is bottomed out on the crank snout, you may
need to add a washer. The ID of the washer need to be a little bigger than the OD of the snout.

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking the same thing (a washer) but I figured that I better ask before I actually do it.

BTW I do have the special wrench for that bolt.

dansluck 06-28-2020 09:07 AM

Fred93, I would check the lugs on the pulley and collar for damage caused by the movement. I 'm speaking from experience and I went back to a one piece pulley. A little more work but peace of mind. Good Luck, I miss my 28 tudor currently drive a 31 coupe.
Dan

katy 06-28-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred93 (Post 1903679)
Thanks for your reply.

I guess the repro devil strikes again! (repro parts almost fit!!)

The socket size is 1-3/8" --I found it in Snyder's catalog. See photo.

They're not all 1-3/8", the one on my '31 CCPU is 1-1/4" and I've heard of 1-5/16" ones.

fred93 06-28-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansluck (Post 1903688)
Fred93, I would check the lugs on the pulley and collar for damage caused by the movement. I 'm speaking from experience and I went back to a one piece pulley. A little more work but peace of mind. Good Luck, I miss my 28 tudor currently drive a 31 coupe.
Dan

Thanks for the reply.

Fortunately there is only about three hours of run time on the engine and pulley assembly. The car has not been driven at all at this point so I don't think that I will have any problems like you mentioned.

Good thought though for the future.

fred93 06-28-2020 12:44 PM

I removed the crank pulley bolt and looked at the situation. The actual crankshaft only sticks out a small amount beyond the pulley.

A washer would be difficult to place in that area and keep it from getting stuck between the bolt and the crankshaft. It looks like I would need to have someone braze material to the front of the pulley and then machine it down to match the crankshaft. Or have someone make a washer and tack weld it to the pulley so it will stay in place while tightening the bolt.

Anyone have any other ideas???

katy 06-29-2020 09:08 AM

Quote:

Anyone have any other ideas???
How about a small washer to fit behind the pulley?

fred93 06-29-2020 03:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1904025)
How about a small washer to fit behind the pulley?

Thanks for the reply.

That was a thought that passed through my brain. But what I ended up doing was to make a washer (brass sheet .016" thick) that had the ID a tad larger than the crankshaft and a OD the size of the pulley machined area. See photos.

Then I super glued the washer to the crankshaft pulley just so it would stay in place while I tightened the crankshaft bolt. It worked great! No more play!

fred93 06-29-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1903700)
They're not all 1-3/8", the one on my '31 CCPU is 1-1/4" and I've heard of 1-5/16" ones.

Thanks--that is normal for Henry! LOL