The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Can-Am Model A Reliability Run;Mt. Baker A-scent (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212820)

37Benny 01-16-2017 03:12 AM

The Can-Am Model A Reliability Run;Mt. Baker A-scent

Greetings Barners, You heard it here first! The Can-Am Model A Reliability Run; Mt. Baker A-scent. Is happening Wednesday August 9th 2017 in Deming,Washington. The event is a friendly competition between Canadian and American Model Aers to see who can get the most A's, AA's and Speedsters to one spot. This time Moon On A is going to take you up to 5000ft to Artist Point. A,B & C powered vehicles only, rain or shine. More details TBA. For the latest information subscribe to this thread or watch our website www.moonona.org. Benny

Dick Steinkamp 01-16-2017 12:30 PM

Re: The Can-Am Model A Reliability Run;Mt. Baker A-scent

We're thinkin' that since this crowd made it to the top of Mt. Baker Highway "back in the day"...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/282/31...be54b952_z.jpg

...when the roads weren't even paved...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/450/32...4de93a4b_z.jpg

...that it will be a piece of cake now-a-days.

Here's the route...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/349/31...e3a5cdbe_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/367/31...106d9cbf_z.jpg

A short 100 miles round trip, but with some of the most scenic country in North America. Stops including a BYO picnic lunch at a National Forest Campground along the Nooksack River high in the North Cascades just before the final climb to the top.

Join us. Bragging rights awarded to all participants. ;)

Art Newland 01-16-2017 01:36 PM

I've got a lot of wrenching to do!

aonemarine 01-16-2017 01:57 PM

Bummer! Im on the wrong coast :(

37Benny 01-16-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Newland (Post 1414764)
I've got a lot of wrenching to do!

I bet you I got more to do than you ��

37Benny 01-16-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aonemarine (Post 1414770)

Who says?�� If you made it out we would make you a Honorary Life Member of Moon On A�� You would not have to pay dues ever! Benny

Art Newland 01-16-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

There are roads from Delaware that will get you here.:)

37Benny 01-20-2017 11:22 PM

To My fellow Gerties; I will be at the February 23rd meeting with flyers and to answer any questions you might have. Benny

Dick Steinkamp 01-20-2017 11:30 PM

The road is a little wider now...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/419/31...9b9e3afc_c.jpg

Rocketdog1 01-27-2017 01:34 PM

The good news is that if something breaks, you'll have plenty of experienced "help" to make repairs!

Might have to put in for the day off for this one.......

Art Newland 01-27-2017 09:38 PM

Hey RD1, would be great to have you along. There is talk about a "helper" rig with some spares for guys with problems.

37Benny 01-27-2017 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Newland (Post 1420625)
Hey RD1, would be great to have you along. There is talk about a "helper" rig with some spares for guys with problems.

I believe yours truly will be riding shotgun in the parts rig. Benny

Ian Curtis 01-29-2017 01:53 PM

Where did you guys find all of these Mt. Baker pictures from back in the day? They're great!

Does the Whatcom County museum do prints like MOHAI does? One of these would look nice in my house!

Dick Steinkamp 01-29-2017 05:56 PM

Ian,
Yes...the Whatcom Museum. A fantastic resource for the history of our area. They will do prints. I found 20 pictures of Model A's on the Mt Baker highway. There are others of A's on Chuckanut Drive. One beautiful one of a late Cabriolet.

Synchro909 01-29-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Heck, you're almost there!!:D:rolleyes:

Dick Steinkamp 02-19-2017 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the official tour flier in PDF form. Feel free to download it as a reminder and/or to pass on to your local club members.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/495/31...4aeaeb9a_z.jpg

37Benny 02-27-2017 03:36 AM

Ok Barners, I am going to have to ask you guys how many of you in Ford Barn Land are interested in participating? If you can tell me the name of your MAFCA Chapter or MARC Region and how many in your tour party? Trying to give the Donut Guy some warning so he does not fall over. Information from you will help make sure you and your party won't miss out on Coffee and Donuts...so it's a matter of life and death here:) If by chance there is more of you then Coffee and Donuts, we'll just cut the Donuts in fourths and get the garden hose and water down the Coffee:) Benny

Floats 02-27-2017 12:02 PM

Bummer, I am in the wrong continent, on the wrong hemisphere, on the wrong side of the world��

37Benny 04-26-2017 03:58 AM

I'll be going to the NW MAFCA Regional in Coos Bay,OR. If anybody would like to talk to
me in person about the Can-Am, I'll be wondering around down there. Benny

Art Newland 04-26-2017 11:12 AM

I'll be there most of Friday, hopefully will see you there. BTW, my son-in-law was fishing at Baker Lake over the weekend, still LOTS of snow there!

Dick Steinkamp 04-26-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Newland (Post 1464103)
I'll be there most of Friday, hopefully will see you there. BTW, my son-in-law was fishing at Baker Lake over the weekend, still LOTS of snow there!

It's going to be touch and go if Artists Point will be open in time for the ascent.

This from WSDOT...

Crews took an exploratory trip to Artist point on Wednesday, April 13 and found more than 500 inches of snow in most areas of the closed road.

In 2002 the road opened August 9th. In 2011 it didn't open at all.

Ian Curtis 04-26-2017 01:37 PM

Well 20 will be open by late August, maybe we should head for Hart's Pass. =)

Maybe we should plan a dry-run around the Mt. Loop Highway whenever the snow is clear there.

37Benny 04-26-2017 10:22 PM

Worse case scenario, we con Larry into getting his Tudor snowmobile out of the museum, so we can pave a trail��

37Benny 04-26-2017 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Newland (Post 1464103)

Friday I think is the day of the Swap meet? So I'll be wondering around there for sure ��

37Benny 07-15-2017 02:11 AM

We are getting closer! If you are going please call the contact number on our website
(www.moonona.org)..If you know somebody who is going please tell them to call our
phone number on our website. Also if you're going please get a forestry pass before the
event. US Forestry HQ will be on the way but the more people who have them the better.
Thanks, Benny

Synchro909 07-15-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

So am I!!!:D:eek:;)

Dick Steinkamp 07-15-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37Benny (Post 1499434)
Also if you're going please get a forestry pass before the
event. US Forestry HQ will be on the way but the more people who have them the better.
Thanks, Benny

The US National Park Service Senior Pass is currently $10 for life!...

It provides access to more than 2,000 recreation sites managed by six federal agencies:

National Park Service
US Fish & Wildlife Service
Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation
US Forest Service (Including parking at our destination...Artists Point)
US Army Corps of Engineers

Also, you will get free admission for up to 3 other adults in your car and any kids under 16 plus discounts on camping, guided tours, etc.

It's quite a bargain!

However, the cost changes on August 28th from $10 to $80. This is one change in a package of policy changes to defund of our parks that was recently implemented.

Get yours now...even if you are unable to accompany us on the Reliability Run up Mt. Baker.

A Senior Pass can be purchased on line or through the mail here...

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

...or at any of the above field offices including the USFS office in Glacier on the way to Artists Point.

If you are not 62 or older or don't ever intend to visit a federal park or site again, a day pass to visit Artists Point is $5 and can be purchased on line here...

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/p...fsbdev2_027009

Tom Wesenberg 07-15-2017 01:44 PM

Can I assume this National Pass has no use for getting into state parks?

Dick Steinkamp 07-15-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1499651)
Can I assume this National Pass has no use for getting into state parks?

At least not Washington State state parks. We have an annual pass for that purpose. $30/year. Other states may have similar.

http://discoverpass.wa.gov/31/About-the-Pass

A day pass is $10 so if you go to more than 3 of the listed places the pass is good for...you win. Between the parks, trail heads, boat launches, etc., mine pays for itself many times over.

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-15-2017 09:26 PM

What time do you expect to be back in deming that afternoon?

37Benny 07-16-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 1499858)
What time do you expect to be back in deming that afternoon?

We will probably leave the start in groups from 9:30-10:15 so we don't tie up the highway too badly. should take about 1.5 hours to Artists Point if no stops are made on the way. 2 hours if a stop at the Forest Service is required.

If you turned right around and went back down, you could be back to the starting point in another 1.5 hours. you had a leisurely picnic lunch at the top, then made some stops on the way down (like at Nooksack Falls or some of the view points), add another 1.5 hours.

Plus I don't know how long the snow ball fight is going to last between Dick and I.It might take a while, I owe him a few:rolleyes: Benny

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-16-2017 01:56 PM

Ok, that would give me plenty of time to drive down hwy 9 and then on home from woodinville. I don't want to drive 350 miles in one day, nor spend two nites in a motel. The evergreen club found a place in Bellingham for $74, a nite, so I think I'll go up with them on tues, but just drive home on wed after the tour. I think some are thinking of driving the whole thing all on wed. Now, I just need to convince the wife!

37Benny 07-16-2017 02:04 PM

[ Now, I just need to convince the wife![/QUOTE]

Good Luck on that one;):DBenny

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-16-2017 05:38 PM

She's on board! It's a go!

Dick Steinkamp 07-16-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37Benny (Post 1500150)

Plus I don't know how long the snow ball fight is going to last between Dick and I.It might take a while, I owe him a few:rolleyes: Benny

I completely agree, Benny. It might take a while for you to hit me with a snowball. ;)

BTW, I was up to Artists Point again today. I was the sag wagon for my daughter's annual bike ride to Artists Point. The snow is melting fast.

37Benny 07-16-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp (Post 1500311)
I completely agree, Benny. It might take a while for you to hit me with a snowball. ;)

BTW, I was up to Artists Point again today. I was the sag wagon for my daughter's annual bike ride to Artists Point. The snow is melting fast.

..We may just have to use doughnuts �� then..food fight on top of Mt Baker!

37Benny 07-16-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 1500274)
She's on board! It's a go!

right on!

37Benny 07-21-2017 04:17 PM

For those of you who will be participating in the Can-Am Model A Reliability Run.
The restaurant will be closed. So no bathroom at the
meeting spot but in Deming there is a Chevron Station with
a bathroom,Gas,Snacks..etc ,that you may want to stop before
you get to the meeting spot. The address of the Chevron Station is 5048 Mt Baker Hwy, Deming, WA 98244.

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-22-2017 11:42 PM

Benny, do you have any idea how many Canadians are coming. I think we have 13 cars from Seattle , spending Tues night in Bellingham, plus two more on wed.

37Benny 07-23-2017 12:56 AM

I do not. I'm thinking maybe 6?..or there could be more? Canadians are sneaky and they maybe just down playing just to get a jump on us...but jokes on them they might not get a doughnut..Wow 15 from Seattle..is that Evergreens and Gerties combined? B