The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pearl Harbor Day (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307416)

estout81 12-07-2021 08:40 AM

Pearl Harbor Day

Let us not forget Dec. 7 1941. As was said, "a date that will live in infamy".

Joe Immler 12-07-2021 09:32 AM

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Yes, May God rest the souls of all those who were killed both there and during the rest of the war. THE GREATEST GENERATION !!!

19Fordy 12-07-2021 09:35 AM

So true. I can't help but wonder how many teachers will explain to their students (today) the significance of Dec. 7, 1941. God Bless The Greatest Generation and all those who have served and sacrificed to keep us free.

corvette8n 12-07-2021 11:35 AM

Let’s never forget, I try in collect all the Pearl Harbor memorabilia I can find and afford, and educate the public at car shows especially the kids. I went to the Arizona memorial in 2008, it was a very moving experience I will never forget.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255741

V8ER 12-07-2021 11:53 AM

We will never forget. May they be honored forever.

50fordcoupeman 12-07-2021 12:20 PM

I agree with all above. I had a couple of relatives that were there..........

Jims52F1 12-07-2021 12:48 PM

We’ll said everyone. My dad enlisted in Air Force about 6 months later when he graduated high school. We enjoy our freedoms today because of so many men who served in several wars and conflicts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

electricman 12-07-2021 12:58 PM

Just a thought to share. When these soldiers went to war they went for the duration to be there until the job was done. That in itself is hard on the mind as they did not know if or WHEN they would see their loved ones again. Subsequent wars had a tour length where if we lived we could return home.

mfirth 12-07-2021 01:39 PM

Ditto on all of the above ! And don't forget the gals who built the planes, bombs etc. !
Greatest generation for sure.

B-O-B 12-07-2021 01:57 PM

Those gals also flew them. I remember it well.

J Franklin 12-07-2021 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an amazing Pearl Harbor story (not Dec 7) A true story with old trucks.

RBRanche 12-07-2021 05:07 PM

Amazing story and makes you realize just how easy we have it today. That generation did what ever it took to get things done regardless of how difficult, regardless of the weather and all without complaining or whining about conditions, equipment, or pay. To bad those values haven't been installed to later generations. Those lucky enough to return from the war dealt with what what they encountered, put it behind them and went about resuming a civilian life, many living into their 90's. They are the last of the true hero's, a tough bunch and I salute and respect every one of them.

JWL 12-07-2021 05:42 PM

Well said KB. Sad to say many residents today are less associated to American values and more about what they can slurp from the feeding trough of government. The greatest generation had nothing in mind except doing everything possible for our country rather taking everything possible from our country.

RalphM 12-08-2021 01:18 AM

Ive watched multiple interviews with men who fought in WW2, only boys then, but they did some amazing feats, all while going through hell. Hero’s one and all in my book.

Karl 12-08-2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricman (Post 2083214)
Just a thought to share. When these soldiers went to war they went for the duration to be there until the job was done. That in itself is hard on the mind as they did not know if or WHEN they would see their loved ones again. Subsequent wars had a tour length where if we lived we could return home.

So true but despite this they coped. In fact its my observation , having worked with both groups over the years , that despite the set tour Vietnam Vets didn't fare as well. A group of Vietnam vets (at least to me) always appear 10 years older than their same age peers. It must have been hell over there

deuce_roadster 12-09-2021 10:07 AM

My dad was on the older class Battleship Mississippi during WW2 and had been at Pearl Harbor earlier in 41 but was sent out to patrol the N. Pacific. Ended up going to the 2 Alaska Aleusion Islands (Kiska and Attu) to bombard the Japanese who had landed there using their16" guns.