The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Air Conditioning Compressor Bracket Flthead (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190604)

Ardun 03-01-2016 07:46 PM

Air Conditioning Compressor Bracket Flthead

Has anyone used the Alan Grove 49-53 Flathead A/C compressor bracket with the facility for a stock fan and if so, did the stock fan work properly for the A/C without putting in an electric fan?

JWL 03-02-2016 07:27 AM

Re: Air Conditioning Compressor Bracket Flthead

I can not comment on the bracket because I made mine. However, regarding the fan situation I would say a good electric fan can be important for good a/c cooling at low speeds and stop-and-go driving conditions. Having a strong air force through the condenser is helpful. I use a powerful pusher in front of the condenser and switch it on when "in town" driving.

chuck stevens 03-02-2016 07:34 AM

I have an Alan Grove bracket on a 8BA in a 40. I went with an electric fan so it can be controlled more accurately. Comes on with the compressor or temp sensor. Hasn't boiled yet.

Johnnydidd 03-02-2016 08:42 AM

I have Alan Grove bracket works very well, fine quality. I have used an electric fan, but ended up using a merc fan with a 6 blades. Seems to work the best on highway and town.

flathead4rd 03-02-2016 10:47 AM

Does anyone make an AC unit that will fit a three carb setup?

Ardun 03-02-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnydidd (Post 1251401)
I have Alan Grove bracket works very well, fine quality. I have used an electric fan, but ended up using a merc fan with a 6 blades. Seems to work the best on highway and town.

Interesting. Can you send pics? Also interested in the rest of your installation. Who's AC did you use? Under dash components? Issues? Any problem with the narrow belt?

I want to use the latest Vintage Air electronic unit because of the micro processor, etc. I have the evaporator mock-ups but still figuring out the fan issue.

Thanks.

Ardun 03-02-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 1251383)
I can not comment on the bracket because I made mine. However, regarding the fan situation I would say a good electric fan can be important for good a/c cooling at low speeds and stop-and-go driving conditions. Having a strong air force through the condenser is helpful. I use a powerful pusher in front of the condenser and switch it on when "in town" driving.

Can you post a pic of your bracket?

JWL 03-03-2016 07:20 AM

I lost all my pictures in a computer Hard Drive failure and have not learned my lesson because many of my current pictures are waiting to be lost when this computer fails. And, it will fail!!

Ol' Ron 03-03-2016 08:16 AM

Yes, the enemy is the hard drive's. I've learned to burn in the important stuff on disks. Pretty easy to do when you have grand kids.

Midnightcaper 03-03-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 1251871)
I lost all my pictures in a computer Hard Drive failure and have not learned my lesson because many of my current pictures are waiting to be lost when this computer fails. And, it will fail!!

There are ways to get those pictures off your hard drive or at least some of them I've seen my brother in law do it with a program.

JWL 03-03-2016 01:12 PM

I took the failed computer to 2 different places and both told me NOTHING was recoverable. "When they are making that scratching noise all is lost".

JWL

Midnightcaper 03-03-2016 01:24 PM

I'll ask my brother in law he might have a idea he's the IT guy for fortlewis/Mchord base

Johnnydidd 03-03-2016 08:26 PM

Ardun, I used vintage air, I got mine from speedway, reason I did I could get it next day. I would use under the dash that crosses under the steering column and to the right, also I would get the heat and air combo unit. Also you need to use a insulation pad on the floor up to and including the firewall, any other questions please ask., send me your email to [email protected] and I will send pictures. the unit put out 47 deg when installed.

Ardun 03-03-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 1251871)

Don't have the car any longer?