The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   35 brake switch help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243985)

Solo_909 05-06-2018 08:17 PM

35 brake switch help

Hey fellas,

So my brake lights stopped working. I’m thinking it a the switch so I thought I’d make sure I get all the right stuff. When searching for brake light switches for a 35 ford coupe two different kinds show up.

This one

http://i67.tinypic.com/33zfl91.jpg

And this one

http://i65.tinypic.com/534w8w.jpg

Photo of my master

http://i64.tinypic.com/15d070i.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/2lasbvd.jpg

My brake cylinder uses the second one so has my 35 master been swapped with something else? If so with what?

Do I need to replace anything else besides the switch? What inside makes the switch work?

Thanks!

FlatheadTed 05-06-2018 08:23 PM

Re: 35 brake switch help

Yes its been swapped. Its hard to tell what MC you have going by the photos ,touch the two wires together that should activate the light

JSeery 05-06-2018 08:49 PM

"My brake cylinder uses the second one so has my 35 master been swapped with something else? If so with what? "

1935 Fords were mechanical brakes, Ford didn't go to hydraulic brakes until 1939. Your brake system has been converted to a later hydraulic system. Some people like the hydraulic brake switch and some don't. The photos you posted show an original style mechanical brake switch (the repos are considered junk by some!) and a later (post 1939) hydraulic switch.

Lawson Cox 05-06-2018 09:28 PM

I've got to start digging into the same problem on my 35 PU this week. I have hydraulics, use Type 5 brake fluid and a Harley low pressure switch.

Rotts of Ruck with yours.

Solo_909 05-06-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 1626202)
I've got to start digging into the same problem on my 35 PU this week. I have hydraulics, use Type 5 brake fluid and a Harley low pressure switch.

Rotts of Ruck with yours.

What is a Harley low pressure switch?

V8COOPMAN 05-06-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_909 (Post 1626214)
What is a Harley low pressure switch?

A Harley Davidson uses a hydraulic brake light switch essentially identical to the one you have pictured, but some say that the Harley switch is a lot better quality than the POS switches they sell at most auto parts stores, especially when using silicone (DOT 5) fluid. It's just a simple ON/OFF switch that closes the contacts when even low pressure is applied. DD

Solo_909 05-07-2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1626218)
A Harley Davidson uses a hydraulic brake light switch essentially identical to the one you have pictured, but some say that the Harley switch is a lot better quality than the POS switches they sell at most auto parts stores, especially when using silicone (DOT 5) fluid. It's just a simple ON/OFF switch that closes the contacts when even low pressure is applied. DD

Thank you! I’ll stop by the Harley shop tomorrow!

Greg58 05-07-2018 05:14 AM

Test the wiring first, remove both wires and add a jumper wire between both wires, you may have a blown fuse. If you have a multimeter you can also check for voltage going to the switch.

Solo_909 05-07-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg58 (Post 1626254)
Test the wiring first, remove both wires and add a jumper wire between both wires, you may have a blown fuse. If you have a multimeter you can also check for voltage going to the switch.

Will do!

Solo_909 05-07-2018 10:41 AM

Okay I used a jumper wire and the brake lights worked. Off to get a new switch.

Solo_909 05-07-2018 11:23 AM

Side question,

Because the switch is vertical and not horizontal how do you get the air bubble out? I would assume air would get trapped in the switch when installing.

Lawson Cox 05-07-2018 12:17 PM

No problem You're overthinking the situation.

KGS 05-07-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_909 (Post 1626381)
Side question,

Because the switch is vertical and not horizontal how do you get the air bubble out? I would assume air would get trapped in the switch when installing.

Not enough air to be concerned about.
Just change it out.
Be sure to get the Harley switch. In addition
to being impervious to DOT5 fluid, it takes less
pressure to activate. (at least mine does).

Solo_909 05-07-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 1626399)
No problem You're overthinking the situation.

Maybe, just always thought air in the brake system is not good.

Solo_909 05-07-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGS (Post 1626401)
Not enough air to be concerned about.
Just change it out.
Be sure to get the Harley switch. In addition
to being impervious to DOT5 fluid, it takes less
pressure to activate. (at least mine does).

Bought both the Harley and the cheap replacement. I take it the Harley is low pressure due to the smaller hole?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2q80r2h.jpg

V8COOPMAN 05-07-2018 02:19 PM

The hole size has nothing to do with the pressure necessary to actuate. Kind of like 1/4" vs 3 /16" brake line won't show a difference in pressures. PSI is PSI, throughout a container system. That Harley switch is just designed with less pressure being necessary to make it work (,a lighter spring, probably). DD

Solo_909 05-07-2018 03:02 PM

Okay so everything works with the new Harley switch however there’s another issue that I noticed.

When I turn on the lights the tailights are lit up to the same brightness. When I turn them off and step on the pedal the driverside taillight doesn’t light up as bright as the passenger side. It’s really dim.

This also happened when I used the jump wire to test if the switch was bad. Any ideas about that?

JSeery 05-07-2018 03:07 PM

Tail lights and brake lights are two different filaments in one bulb. Might try swapping the bulbs side to side, but it could more resistance in the brake wire on the one side. Do you have turn signals, if so that could be where the difference is coming from.

Solo_909 05-07-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1626470)
Tail lights and brake lights are two different filaments in one bulb. Might try swapping the bulbs side to side, but it could more resistance in the brake wire on the one side. Do you have turn signals, if so that could be where the difference is coming from.

Okay I’ll swap out the bulbs and go from there. This wasn’t an issue before the switch problem however I was messing around the the DS light a couple of weeks ago.

V8COOPMAN 05-07-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_909 (Post 1626468)
Okay so everything works with the new Harley switch however there’s another issue that I noticed.

When I turn on the lights the tailights are lit up to the same brightness. When I turn them off and step on the pedal the driverside taillight doesn’t light up as bright as the passenger side. It’s really dim.

This also happened when I used the jump wire to test if the switch was bad. Any ideas about that?

Try this.....since the driver side is the problem side, remove the red lens on the driver side light. Remove the bulb. Turn on the running lights. With a volt meter, determine WHICH of the two bulb contacts is hot. Now, turn the running lights off. Have someone step on the brake pedal. Use your meter to determine WHICH bulb contact is hot now. IF it's the same contact as before with the running lights, at least we know WHY it's messed-up, and we'll find out where the wires are crossed via troubleshooting. First, what are the results of your meter tests? DD