The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fan Movement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261885)

Steves46 04-15-2019 08:46 AM

Fan Movement

After removing my alternator and belt removed, when I grab the fan blade, I can slightly wobble the entire fan assy. Is this a potential disaster in the making or is a little play normal? Thanks.

Gary WA 04-15-2019 08:49 AM

Re: Fan Movement

Normal water pump with 2 blade fan. as original style?

Joe K 04-15-2019 08:58 AM

Vince Falter at his most excellent FordGarage site references problems with reproduction water pump shafts including: wrong taper, TWO tapers, taper stick through before nut fully clinches fan.

ALSO issues with the fan hubs including female similar to above.

See http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/waterpumpshafts.htm

Early repro two blade cast aluminum fans are noted to issues in the hobby as the fan was die cast aluminum, but the tapered shaft hole not machined or machined incorrectly. New cast fan blades have this problem solved.

Some have gotten past the issues by putting an additional washer under the fan and torquing the heck out of it. Maybe not so much solving the issue as "getting past."

Some check out seems in order...

Joe K

abachman3 04-15-2019 10:06 AM

To answer your question directly, the fan should NOT wobble at all.

1931 flamingo 04-15-2019 10:21 AM

Original blade or the new aluminum blade?? Either one should NOT wobble.
Paul in CT

Jacksonlll 04-15-2019 11:24 AM

The two tapers must match. Big potential danger to your head and radiator and hood. Don’t run that belt tight. A loose belt that still drives everything is what you want

Steves46 04-15-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1747237)
Original blade or the new aluminum blade?? Either one should NOT wobble.
Paul in CT

It has the 4 Blade version. Looks like something else I wil need to remove and examine.

Bob C 04-15-2019 03:03 PM

The Four blades like to crack at the rivets. To be clear do you mean wobble
or fore and aft movement (end play)?

Bob

Steves46 04-15-2019 04:28 PM

Wobble. When I grab the fan blade with one hand and the the pulley with the other, they wobble in unison...the water pump shaft doesn't. This is withthe belt very loose (alternator was removed). The nut and cotter pin are intact.

Chuck Sea/Tac 04-15-2019 09:53 PM

You are talking a wobble on the shaft, not the entire assembly moving in and out?

Steves46 04-16-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 1747441)
You are talking a wobble on the shaft, not the entire assembly moving in and out?

Yes sir-wobble on the shaft. The shaft is intact in does not move.

Chuck Sea/Tac 04-16-2019 10:41 PM

It sure sounds like the nut didn’t or won’t tighten, and for some reason the shaft tapers are damaged. You may get by with a new fan, but very possibly a new pump shaft as well.

Steves46 04-17-2019 04:50 AM

I removed the pin and tried snugging the castle nut-no dice! It was not getting any tighter. On to removing the water pump and will try to replace the fan first and see if that will work. Hopefully the radiator will lean forward enough for clearance but if it doesn’t no problem-will just remove it.

TerryO 04-17-2019 07:57 AM

On the last fan I replaced for a friend the hub in the pulley was split. This was on a 4 blade fan and it barely scared the radiator. I have another friend with a 4 blade fan that is hitting the radiator and I have a new pump, 2 blade fan, hoses, belt,and fake studs ready to change out when time allows.

Terry O

Steves46 04-17-2019 11:45 AM

I ordered a 2 blade fan from Snyder's and will switching out my 4 Blade. If I am fortunate, there will be no damage to the shaft and the new fan will snug-in nice and tight. Since I have engine pans installed, I will need to attach a rubber hose to the petcock valve and route it past the pan. Not looking forward to removing the radiator but that's how it goes sometimes.